Forsyth County Sheriff's Office

Discussion in 'Places Off-Limits' started by Phil1979, Dec 5, 2017.

1. Phil1979

Phil1979 Member Georgia Carry

Local news did a story on Sheriff Freeman cracking down on drunk drivers, and they showed the front of his office.

Big gun-buster and no weapons signs on either side of the entrance.

I thought a sheriff's office can't be off limits unless there's screening.

Do they have screening there?

2. budder

budder Moderator Staff Member

That looks like the rear entrance to the Sheriff's Office, which is where the Probate Court is located. So it's off limits for other reasons and I'm sure there's screening there as well.

3. Taurus92

Taurus92 Well-Known Member

Links in this new software's layout are really hard to see.

4. gunsmoker

gunsmoker Lawyer and Gun Activist

Many counties’ Sheriff HQ are also part of the jail complex, and while GWL holders may park with guns in the car at such parking facilities, any other area within jail guard lines is off-limits.

And the term “guard line” is a lie, a legal fiction, because it extends well beyond the fences and secure areas where guards control access.

5. Adam5

Adam5 Atlanta Overwatch

What does that have to do with this topic?

6. Taurus92

IF there's a link, I can't see it. They're talking about a news story, there's usually a link.

7. a_springfield

a_springfield Well-Known Member

Yes the probate court has very tight screening. They made me take my boots off when I was there last year.

8. herron

herron Member

Murray Co. probate office building has no gun buster sign or screening. Is it legal to carry in there?

9. Malum Prohibitum

Malum Prohibitum Moderator Staff Member

There is no link in the post.

10. Dawgdoc

Dawgdoc Well-Known Member

Not if it is a courthouse, which is a prohibited location but requires no screening, signs, etc. like most other (non-federal) government buildings. I assume the probate office is in the same building as the court, which makes it a courthouse. You just have to know that courthouses are off limits (no prior warnings required).

11. Taurus92

Isn't it Probate Court? I know it's mostly administrative, but still has a judge, issues rulings, etc.

12. Malum Prohibitum

Malum Prohibitum Moderator Staff Member

What happened to our reference area with Georgia statutes? :???:

16-11-127. Carrying weapons in unauthorized locations; penalty

(a) As used in this Code section, the term:

(1) "Bar" means an establishment that is devoted to the serving of alcoholic beverages for consumption by guests on the premises and in which the serving of food is only incidental to the consumption of those beverages, including, but not limited to, taverns, nightclubs, cocktail lounges, and cabarets.

(2) "Courthouse" means a building occupied by judicial courts and containing rooms in which judicial proceedings are held.​

13. GAfirearmsReference

GAfirearmsReference Weapons Law Booklet

PIcture of “jail guard line” sign at Sheriff’s Office in Forsyth County (Cumming).

Oops, Nevermind. “File size too large” to upload.