Georgia Firearm Forums - Georgia Packing banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My wife-to-be was a vehement anti when we met, but I have been slowly chipping away at that. She is a very intelligent gal and is well versed in logic and rhetoric so just by showing her the fallacious arguements used by the Brady's and their like, she is slowly forming her own opinion and is seriously thinking about buying her own gun,

I sent her the link to Maureen Downey's oped piece on Parks and guns and she sent this reply back.

Maureen Downey’s editorial was more effective at playing on people’s emotions. To counter that you really have to get people to think. I know he only had a short time to formulate a response and I believe the deck was already stacked against him, but the counter didn’t quite do it.

Each side cites anecdotal evidence and puts their own spin on it but neither makes an effective connection as to how, if the position they advocate were in effect, the situation would have a better outcome. Nearly every time there is a dramatic news item of any sort, pro or con groups of every ilk come out of the woodwork to play up the drama in support of their cause. People listen and form opinions. Probably not enough of them question.

The one solid point Ben Bryant included that he should have expanded on was the fact that you have to undergo a background check to legally qualify to carry a concealed weapon. Too many people look at guns as the evil rather than the people who would be making the choices to use them for the wrong purposes. Good facts to use against the Maureen Downey-type arguments would be how many illegal guns are out there, extrapolating data to show how many people are shot in areas where there are larger numbers of carrying permits vs. low number or vs. a lot of illegal guns. Talk about things like you were mentioning last night â€" e.g., the D.C. violent crime rate, New York or other areas where stringent gun laws have gone into effect.

It may be hard to swallow, but there are lots of people â€" maybe even a majority â€" who will never own a gun no matter what the laws are. You may be able to get them to support gun ownership with facts and reasonable arguments refuting the anti-gun people, but as you’ve seen, some of the pro-ownership voices that make it into the public arena come off as just a little too extreme. This is, I believe, attributable to an anti-gun bias in the media, and they selecting the most extreme points of view to highlight in their coverage to advance their own agenda.

As you know I have never been comfortable around guns, though I’m a little less uncomfortable now that I’ve handled them a bit. I’ll probably never be 100% comfortable with guns and kids in the same house, but that’s probably a good thing. I wouldn’t want to ever take it for granted that a kid wouldn’t screw around with a gun. You do have me thinking about whether I should buy a gun for myself, but even if I choose not to I will now support ownership. I know evil people will get guns, even through legal channels. I know too that they will get them even if good people are denied the right. That’s a scary thought.
I think she is starting to come around :D I may even get her to join CGO soon.

·
Registered
6,306 Posts
I can completely share in your sense of pride in seeing that.

·
Tactical Statistician
13,595 Posts
I think your wife made some good points, many of which echo the letter I wrote and posted in another thread. America has some anti's and some pro's, but the vast majority of the population are somewhere in the middle. They have never been around guns and likely never faced the threat of violence or crime. To these folks either camp seems extreme. These are the ones we need to appeal to with facts and reason.

·
Registered
895 Posts
VOLGRAD said:
I think your wife made some good points, many of which echo the letter I wrote and posted in another thread. America has some anti's and some pro's, but the vast majority of the population are somewhere in the middle. They have never been around guns and likely never faced the threat of violence or crime. To these folks either camp seems extreme. These are the ones we need to appeal to with facts and reason.
Unfortunately, with people today, I don't believe facts and reason will be enough to win the vast center to our side. As much as I hate it, I believe we will have to become as good as the antis at tugging on the emotions. Facts and figures and reason and logic are great and for some, they are exactly the weapons that will be the most effective. But until we can emotionally convince people that bad things don't just happen to others, they will dismiss all reason as inapplicable to them in their situation.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts