Georgia Firearm Forums - Georgia Packing banner

Form 1 Suppressor Build

8K views 46 replies 9 participants last post by  Aleksfoxtrot 
#1 · (Edited)
A little over 6 months ago I filed form 1 to build a silencer. Finely came approved today!

#4 ·
A little over 6 months ago I filed form 1 to build a silencer. Finely came approved today!
How long did it take for them to cash the check?

#7 ·
I would be interested in hearing details of the actual build and how quiet you expect it to make a .308.
I'm not sure how quiet it will be. My hope is not quite as loud as an unsuppressed .22. I will post pictures of the step by step process. I ordered the materials yesterday but the tracking numbers are not active yet so I have no way of knowing when they will arrive at this time. Maybe not as long as it took to get the tax stamp.

Just and FYI this is going to be a 4 D cell MagLight based silencer since I already have an abundance of them laying around. I wanted to use a 3 cell but since my wife owns the only 3 cell in the house and I didn't want to spend $40 on a new one to tear up I am stuck using one of the 4's or one of the 6's. 6 would be way too much where the 4 is just a little too much.

I am taking the barrel to Bryon this Saturday for threading. Maybe by the time I get the materials and the time to build it the barrel will be ready to go back in the rifle.

I plan on using a Dremel for the engraving so I started practicing the skill on various items. Apparently this is not so easy a task or I really need a lot of practice. Total cost not including the tax stamp, barrel threading and MagLight is $120.80. Much more economical than factory made.

#9 ·
I shot full power 147 grain .308 ammo through a Liberty Suppressors can (.30 cal, rated up to .300 Win Mag) a couple of years ago.

It sounded like a regular .22 rifle with high velocity 40-grain ammo.

Shooting at an outdoor range with hearing protection on, it was quieter than I expected.

If I had shot it in my backyard in suburbia, perhaps I wouldn't perceive it as very quiet.

Of course that's a modern high-tech silencer with several intricately machined baffles.

If I built a can myself, I think I'd go with a simpler design of baffles, like Hiram Maxim's original design from circa 1900 or so.

#10 ·
I shot full power 147 grain .308 ammo through a Liberty Suppressors can (.30 cal, rated up to .300 Win Mag) a couple of years ago.

It sounded like a regular .22 rifle with high velocity 40-grain ammo.

Shooting at an outdoor range with hearing protection on, it was quieter than I expected.

If I had shot it in my backyard in suburbia, perhaps I wouldn't perceive it as very quiet.

Of course that's a modern high-tech silencer with several intricately machined baffles.

If I built a can myself, I think I'd go with a simpler design of baffles, like Hiram Maxim's original design from circa 1900 or so.
I have a Specwar 762 that i use on my 700 .308 regularly. Sounds like a .22 with supers, but my subsonic hand loads are so quiet all you can hear is the firing pin hit and the thunk of bullet impact.

#12 ·
My question was more about the aluminum body than the sound level. Most center fire rifle suppressors are not mad of aluminum. Stainless steel and titanium are the most common.
I plan on shooting full power mostly. Federal Gold Medal Match is all I have ever fired through it to this point.

About the aluminum of the MagLight... I'm not too worried about it not holding up since you can run over it and not do damage to it. Second I ordered some stainless steel tubing as an internal liner. The baffle material I ordered is also made of stainless steel. Only the housing will be aluminum everything else is stainless. Last this is running through a 26'' barrel so very little unburnt power will be entering the blast chamber.

Since I had the extra room from the 4th battery I planned a full 2'' blast chamber which I hope will allow any residual powder to burn off before reaching the first baffle. Also instead of 5 baffles I have room for an additional 3 giving it a total of 8.

If this knocks off a few DB's from the sound of a .22 I'll be happy.

#13 ·
Dropped off the barrel to Brian this afternoon. He said 3 to 4 weeks. While it seems like a long time it's nothing compared to the 6 month wait for the Tax Stamp. Maybe by the time I get the barrel back and the rifle reassembled MP will invite me out for a test run of the suppressor. Since I had to remove the scope it may also need to be sighted.

#14 · (Edited)
Received the parts today. the flashlight I already had. The stainless steel tube, end cap and the baffles are ready to be drilled or cut as the case may be and inserted into the tube. Not going to make the suppressor until I get the engraving down. Still need more practice at it.

#17 ·
#18 ·
According to the ATF you can drill one hole in them no larger than 1/8'' and it does not become a silencer. If you drill it like a baffle then even one is a silencer. In other words when building a suppressor you can't make extra baffles as back up in case of a baffle strike. I don't fully understand what a solvent trap is supposed to aid in since I never have more than enough solvent leak out to take up more than a couple of paper towels. I guess if you wanted to pour a full bottle of Hoppes 9 through your gun to clean it you might have a use for it.

#19 ·
I don't fully understand what a solvent trap is supposed to aid in...
"Solvent traps" are "gun cleaning equipment" that look remarkably like silencers without holes in them. The most popular ones use oil filters as the body. Thread adapters are sold to adapt the filter's threads to the gun's threads. Of course, what one is willing to do with one's "solvent trap" is entirely up to them, if they're feeling froggy.

#20 ·
"Solvent traps" are "gun cleaning equipment" that look remarkably like silencers without holes in them. The most popular ones use oil filters as the body. Thread adapters are sold to adapt the filter's threads to the gun's threads. Of course, what one is willing to do with one's "solvent trap" is entirely up to them, if they're feeling froggy.
So I take it some people actually pour enough solvent through their firearm to need a trap for it???? When cleaning a firearm it's not like changing the oil in your vehicle.

#22 ·
So I take it some people actually pour enough solvent through their firearm to need a trap for it???? When cleaning a firearm it's not like changing the oil in your vehicle.
Ummmmmmmmm........no. But the seller can't call it "A silencer kit for under $50 and no ATF paperwork!" without getting a bit of unwanted attention from the ATF. :mrgreen:

#25 ·
OK...

After many hours of practice and failing the engraving I have finally taken the flashlight to have it engraved. Engraving and neatness using a Dremel does not go hand in hand. Works fine if all you want to do is mark something as an id where perfection is not exactly required. The engraving bits for the Dremel tends to dig in too much and hangs up rather than making a smooth stroke.

#26 ·
I picked up the flashlight from the engraver on Monday afternoon, the flu on Tuesday. Thanks to Alka-Seltzer Plus I was feeling better today. Drilled holes in the baffles and sized them to fit inside the tube. The preformed baffles ended up being a huge disappointment. They were not formed at right angles and had a flair to the open side. They would slip into the female end of the tube but not the male end. Drilling the vent holes was a challenge since they were on an angle. I used a spring loaded center punch to make a small dent to help guide the bit straight through. While the center of them was center punched already only one was actually in the center. Took a lot of grinding with a Dremel to get a good fit. Also wore out 2 grinding stones for it. As in down to the stem. I used a wet table saw with a metal cutting disk to cut the stainless steel tubing into spacers. To make sure I had the proper length I used a wooden dowel cut to the exact internal size of the flashlight with the tail cap installed. This helped me keep on tract to make sure everything fit the way it was supposed to. The plan I had was totally useless since no one supplied me with accurate dimensions as to the size of the materials. Easy fix since I double checked everything before hand and created a new plan. Just a slight pain to have to recalculate all the numbers. Suppressor is finished now if I had a barrel to put in the rifle and mount it to it would be great.

In the photo odd numbered pieces are spacers and even numbers are baffles.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.