Ford Recall On 2006 Rangers

Discussion in 'Off-topic' started by OldWoreOutMarine, Jan 12, 2018 at 3:18 PM.

1. OldWoreOutMarine

OldWoreOutMarine Member

It would seem that Ford is having an issue getting in touch with folks. What gets me is that I am willing to bet you the State of Georgia or any other State with the possible exception of the PROC(California) could produce this information in a few minutes. The vehicle registration databases have got to have that query ability. Of course the States would want to charge for it(as well they should) and Ford would not want to pay for it.Of course there are the privacy concerns. So more unknowing people who never got a recall notice get killed by the damn airbag.Yes I am a big boy and I know some folks just ignore the recalls.

http://www.wtoc.com/story/37246240/ford-says-some-rangers-should-be-parked-due-to-air-bag-death

2. gunsmoker

gunsmoker Lawyer and Gun Activist

2006 model year vehicles--- shouldn't they also be recalled for excessive mileage? Most of them are probably over 200,000 by now. That's hazardous.

3. OldWoreOutMarine

OldWoreOutMarine Member

Could be could not be.I guess I should have explained my justification for even taking up the resources to post this thread.
    Let's have a what if moment. One of our Forum members reads this post and realizes that their Uncle Joe who lives in DumbF..k Anywhere has this exact model that he uses to haul off the garbage and what not.Now Uncle Joe ain't the type to get on the Internet and read up on stuff so he has no clue there is a bomb looking at him. Member calls Uncle Joe and tells him about this mess. Uncle Joe calls the locale Ford Place and they come and defuse the bomb. Now most of us here are adults and we know the odds of this happening are slim to none. I just wanted to make the point that it could. It would surprise you at the number of old pickups that are safe and are used for hauling trash to the dumpster and the occasional dead deer or hog.

4. a_springfield

a_springfield Well-Known Member

Why would a vehicle not be safe with over 200k miles?
    I have a friend that does not own anything with less than 200k unless you count his '29 AA ford truck. Everyone of them are perfectly safe to jump in and drive anywhere.

5. rmodel65

rmodel65 Yukon Cornelius

My Tacoma has 226k I plan on driving it till retirement

6. Malum Prohibitum

Malum Prohibitum Moderator Staff Member

Why? I have 334k on my Yukon and just drove it yesterday.

7. zetor

zetor Active Member

I have a '98 mazda b2500 (ranger) with 160k. I bought it in '03 with 52k. I don't think I'll ever get to those high mileage numbers as maintenance free as others. Rubber, seals, and plastic degrades with time no matter the miles.

8. jsaund22

jsaund22 Computer Ninjaneer

My dad still drives an '82 C10 Chevrolet to work and back every day. Over 350,000 miles on that truck, but it is due for a new transmission since apparently there isn't anyone able to fix the darn things anymore.

9. GoDores

GoDores Like a Boss

My daily driver is an '01 VW with 229K, but I'm about to switch it out for a new car - an '08 with only 145k, so it's hardly even broken in. Sunny weekend toy is a '99 with 155k. I'm anal about preventive maintenance, which keeps everything running perfectly and costs less than a new car payment. Properly maintained cars don't just fall apart after some arbitrary number of miles or years.

rmodel65 likes this.
  10. rmodel65

rmodel65 Yukon Cornelius

You can order one from www.jegs.com

11. AzB

AzB Active Member

I don't drive a Ranger, but my 2007 Honda Accord has 37k miles on it.

12. jsaund22

jsaund22 Computer Ninjaneer

$1500 direct from GM. He's going that route when this one finally gives up the ghost. He's spent over $2000 having this one fixed (twice), with very little success.

13. rmodel65

rmodel65 Yukon Cornelius

They sell gm good wrench parts probably cheaper to order from jegs. Plus no tax...

14. Craftsman

Craftsman Well-Known Member

This another episode in the ongoing Takata airbag recall. Someone was killed by an airbag in a low-speed collision in that model Ford, so they got bumped to the top of the priority list.

This recall has led to a few interesting changes in the law for the past few years. First, auto manufacturers were allowed to continue to install defective airbags in new cars. It seems the bags took a few years to deteriorate and become dangerous so the priority was to replace older ones first, then replace new ones before they aged. The second was dealers can sell cars with known, active recalls. This was again due to the shortage of replacement airbags. Some cars would be worthless on the used market if this was not allowed. the owners would have to hold on to the vehicles until parts became available, possibly for years.

15. phantoms

phantoms Senior Mumbler

I think it's the third person killed in that year and model and after they did some checking, the airbags in those three deaths were all manufactured on the same day even.