For your amusement, my new blog

Discussion in 'Off-topic' started by MrMorden, Oct 19, 2007.

1. MrMorden

MrMorden New Member

Hey all...

I started a blog the other day, and thought you might want to take a look. There is not much firearms-related there now, it's mostly libertarian stuff at the moment. Gun posts will be added soon.

http://jealousattention.blogspot.com/

MrMorden

2. VolGrad

VolGrad Tactical Statistician

Interesting read. I too have problems with property taxes going to pay for education. The biggest problem I have with it, is that it unfair in that a huge number of folks attending public schools pay no property taxes because they don't own property. They either rent or get govt sub housing. Many of these households have more kids per household, on average, than those actually paying property taxes.

I am not sure how I would propose public schools should be funded. I haven't worked that all out in my head yet. If any tax money (county, state, or federal) is used for funding then you are back in the scenario you are blogging against. There is an argument for all private education for equity sake, but we all know all that would happen is the poor would just stop going to school altogether and that can't be good for any of us.

I do agree we all benefit from a more educated society and I do support public education for everyone. I just don't know what I think is the most equitable way to fund it.

3. Malum Prohibitum

Malum Prohibitum Moderator Staff Member

I would have less of a problem with it if it was portable - i.e., the money it takes to educate one student per year could be used at a private school or even another public school . . .

4. Malum Prohibitum

5. VolGrad

+1 You sound smart. LOL.

6. MrMorden

MrMorden New Member

Thanks guys...I have been reading libertarian writings for about 20 years, so it come pretty naturally to me.

As far as property taxes and education go...why does the state have to be involved at all? If people did not have to pay property taxes, they'd have a lot more money to use to send their kids to whatever private school matched their educational philosophy.

Of course, the issue always raised about that is "what about people that can't afford to send their kids to a private school?" Some thoughts that come to mind:

1) Those persons should not be having children.

2) In a system of pervasive private schools, competition will drive down prices and make things more affordable.

3) Charities, trusts, grants, and corporations would need to step up to provide assistance. But at least it would be voluntary.

4) Some very small amount of government assistance *might* be necessary for the very lowest incomes, but obviously that would be my last choice.

And on another note, I think we've fallen into a trap in this country in thinking that everyone is suited for a college-track education. Some people, whether by socialization or just ability, might be better suited to vocational training or even going right to work. As my mother used to say "the world needs ditch-diggers too." That's not shameful or looking down on people, it's just reality. One of the reason we get lowered academic standards and grade inflation in schools and colleges is that we try to shoehorn ever single student into that model, and that's unrealistic.

7. VolGrad

All good points, but then it isn't really us you have to convince. :wink:

EDIT: Holy Crap!!! I just realized I have reached addict status. My wife must be right after all.

8. Malum Prohibitum

Never admit that.

9. VolGrad

I would never admit it to her........unless it meant I could somehow work a new gun in afterward. LOL.

10. asbrand

asbrand Active Member

MrMorden.

What do you want?

*grin*

11. MrMorden

MrMorden New Member

I'll take liberty with a side of personal responsibility.

What do *you* want? 8)