For Personal Use:

Discussion in 'National Laws, Bills and Politics' started by Cybodog, Nov 16, 2017.

1. Cybodog

Cybodog New Member

I received an email flier today for a well known retailer of firearms, buy one get one free! So, with out owning a FFL (infringement? I think so!) could you LEGALLY take advantage of that sale, buy one weapon, get another weapon "free" and then turn around and sell both weapons for "the market" rate, thus earning a profit?

2. a_springfield

a_springfield Well-Known Member

No, you can not legally buy a gun with the sole intention of reselling said gun.

EJR914 likes this.

3. gunsmoker

gunsmoker Lawyer and Gun Activist

As a strict legal technicality, the way the federal law and ATF published regulations read, any amount of buying guns to resell them, unused by you, for a profit is engaging in the business. FFL is required. Even for a one-time-only transaction.

As a practical matter, I don't think ATF or the U.S. Attorney's Office would care about one or two such "flipping" transactions per year, for really special deals that you happen to see available.

Unless, of course, the person you sold the like-new gun to quickly used it in a crime, and the media wanted to dance in the blood of the victim(s) while calling for a crackdown on private gun sales, unlicensed persons selling guns just for profit, etc.

4. Wegahe

Wegahe NRA Instructor

If you bought the guns you should keep them. Of just give me the free one and call it a day!

EJR914 likes this.
  5. Taurus92

Taurus92 Well-Known Member

Like they would stoop so low.. [/sarc]