For all the followers of the Global religion Global Warming.

Discussion in 'Off-topic' started by tj2000, Sep 13, 2007.

1. tj2000

tj2000 Guest

Eating less meat may slow climate change By MARIA CHENG, AP Medical Writer
    Wed Sep 12, 7:08 PM ET

LONDON - Eating less meat could help slow global warming by reducing the number of livestock and thereby decreasing the amount of methane flatulence from the animals, scientists said on Thursday.

In a special energy and health series of the medical journal The Lancet, experts said people should eat fewer steaks and hamburgers. Reducing global red meat consumption by 10 percent, they said, would cut the gases emitted by cows, sheep and goats that contribute to global warming.

"We are at a significant tipping point," said Geri Brewster, a nutritionist at Northern Westchester Hospital in New York, who was not connected to the study.

"If people knew that they were threatening the environment by eating more meat, they might think twice before ordering a burger," Brewster said.

Other ways of reducing greenhouse gases from farming practices, like feeding animals higher-quality grains, would only have a limited impact on cutting emissions. Gases from animals destined for dinner plates account for nearly a quarter of all emissions worldwide.
    So how long have animals been here?

"That leaves reducing demand for meat as the only real option," said Dr. John Powles, a public health expert at Cambridge University, one of the study's authors.

The amount of meat eaten varies considerably worldwide. In developed countries, people typically eat about 224 grams per day. But in Africa, most people only get about 31 grams a day.

With demand for meat increasing worldwide, experts worry that this increased livestock production will mean more gases like methane and nitrous oxide heating up the atmosphere. In China, for instance, people are eating double the amount of meat they used to a decade ago.

Powles said that if the global average were 90 grams per day, that would prevent the levels of gases from speeding up climate change.

Eating less red meat would also improve health in general. Powles and his co-authors estimate that reducing meat consumption would reduce the numbers of people with heart disease and cancer. One study has estimated that the risk of colorectal cancer drops by about a third for every 100 grams of red meat that is cut out of your diet.

"As a society, we are overconsuming protein," Brewster said. "If we ate less red meat, it would also help stop the obesity epidemic."

Experts said that it would probably take decades to wane the public off of its meat-eating tendency. "We need to better understand the implications of our diet," said Dr. Maria Neira, director of director of the World Health Organization's department of public health and the environment.

"It is an interesting theory that needs to be further examined," she said. "But eating less meat could definitely be one way to reduce gas emissions and climate change."

I think it's a Chick-fil-A conspiracy......

You can believe the Government scientist if you want to.

:smokin:

2. ls1ssdavid

ls1ssdavid New Member

I think the liberals have a secret plan to make every American a wuss. And make men no longer men. Next after they take away my red meat they will take away my beer. :drink: Not without a fight they won't. :shoot:

3. Thorsen

Thorsen New Member

The only reason this is a perceived liberal vs conservative or democrat vs. republican issue is money.

Oil, coal, automobile manufacturers and automobile distributors give large amounts of money to republicans. Far more than they give to democrats. Environmental groups give large amounts of money to democrats. Far more than they give to republicans.

As a group who proclaims that mankind has no affect on climate change? Republicans.

As a group who proclaims that mankind has a definitive affect on climate change? Democrats.

Both political groups attempt to massage scientific data to support their bought and paid for message. Don't be a patsy to any particular group's message. Read about the issue yourself and formulate your own opinion.

4. Mobster989

Mobster989 New Member

What about elephants? I'm sure those big cows with trunks release a ton of methane. Maybe we should hunt them till they are extinct! What about people? I'm sure that eating beans creates more methane than anything else, besides you can get your protein from fish or chicken. Ban beans!

Honestly they can whine all they want but I'm not going to change my habits based on a government or any other organization's study.

5. budder

budder Moderator Staff Member

Eh. I think the study is actually proposing we eat more veal :twisted:

6. Mobster989

Mobster989 New Member

Speaking of veal, are lambs as good at keeping the grass green and cut as goats are? How about goats, how do they taste in comparison to cows and lambs? I had a goat once, those little bastards are cool as hell. :)

7. fallison

fallison Guest

I don't know about how goats taste, but sheep in general are lousy for lawn care. They tend to pull the grass up by the root when they eat instead of biting it off. Caused all kinds of trouble between the sheep ranchers and the cattle ranchers in the west with shared grazing land.

8. Malum Prohibitum

Malum Prohibitum Moderator Staff Member

Do you really assume we are all ignorant?

9. ls1ssdavid

ls1ssdavid New Member

I have...

10. M249

M249 New Member

11. budder

budder Moderator Staff Member

:roll: Don't be a retard. There aren't any Martian soccer moms. They're basketball moms. Didn't you see Space Jam? Aliens don't play soccer!

12. Gunstar1

Gunstar1 Administrator

I first heard about this from PETA

13. AV8R

AV8R Banned

Sounds like a bunch of :bsflag: