Food Stamp Fraud?

Discussion in 'Off-topic' started by higabyte, Nov 8, 2010.

1. higabyte

higabyte New Member

I've been fortunate enough in my short life to never have had to deal with food stamps. However, I think one of my Marines is abusing the system but I'm not 100% positive, so I don't know if I should report it or not. The story in a nutshell; This guy deployed to Iraq (as a reservist) and hurt his shoulder. If it was hurt prior to or not is up for debate. He returns to California where he states he has no medical issues and returns back to our command. Gets back here and takes all his leave and hangs out for the remainder of his orders and then towards the end he says he hurt his shoulder yada yada and so we end up taking care of him. He has been sitting at home, since July 2009 collecting an average of $4400 a monther AFTER taxes. Doing nothing more than going to the doctors (which he gets reimbursed mileage as well) and submitting an affidavit stating he made no money from his current employer. If he is working under the table for someone else is also out for debate.

Well a couple months ago I got an email and it's been eating at me since. Here are some excerpts of the email trail, with names replaced for confidentiality:

Curious as to how he could rate food stamps making $4400+ when he has no legal dependents other than his wife, I raised the question:

Keep in mind, this Marine who was denied WIC makes considerably less than him and his wife only works part time at the mall raking in about $500-600 a month which does not close the gap between what the Sgt makes and what this other guy makes.

So yea, I don't know for a 100% fact that this guy is indeed scamming the system, however, since receiving this email a while back, it's just been eating away at me. I'm not really sure what I should do.

2. 175FO

175FO Member

Sounds to me like the guy is a dirtbag. Do you think he faked the shoulder injury to go home from deployment? If there is any evidence of that he could be tried under UCMJ. I am sure there is probably a way for him to get foodstamps. The system in Georgia is so messed up and overwhelmed with requests for foodstamps that just about anyone could BS their way into getting them. I would talk to your/his commander or 1st SGT about it.

3. higabyte

higabyte New Member

He is a dirtbag, however, he didn't come home early. He stayed the full deployment. We're still on 7 month rotations so it's not like its a huge inconvenience to deploy or anything. I do give the Army props for these crazy 15 month deployments!! 1stSgt knows, but he doesn't really have anything to go on to pursue the matter either. To top it all off, he's initiated two congrants against us claiming we aren't taking care of him. When I produced the montery value he has been receiving it pretty much became a dead issue in respect to the congrants.

4. CountryGun

CountryGun New Member

We see this all too often. How does a guy getting more than $50,000 a year, after taxes, ever qualify for food stamps? No medical bills either. He lies about his income, pure and simple. Might be worth a call to the office he applied through. His commander needs to know too.

5. CountryGun

CountryGun New Member

Might be worth a call to the IRS too. Wouldn't he have to report the food stamp income? IDK