726 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In reading the Forsyth Herald, I see a lot of:
- Arrested for posession of marijuana and no seatbelt
- Arrested for posession of marijuana and no headlights
- Arrested for posession of marijuana and traffic violations
- Arrested for posession of marijuana and improper lane change
- Arrested for posession of marijuana and no tag light

I could go on and on. It looks to me that most drug arrests start on the pretense of a minor traffic violation, and become a fishing expedition. There are two points here.

First, it looks like a common method to check for drugs is to find a car that looks suspicious, and then find a reason to pull them over.
The second point, or question really, is that would AIFTG even work in this situation, or once you have a minor trafic violation, do they have reasonable suspicion?

·
Registered
4,117 Posts
Go read Pennsylvania v. Mimms, 434 US 106 - Supreme Court 1977.

Chances are likely the MJ offenses were in either plain sight, or the odor of MJ was present in the vehicle. For further info regarding the traffic stops file an ORA and get the arresting officer's point of view.

But yes, the seemingly minor stop for an equipment violation can lead to a host of questions and expose the interior of your car to a plain view search or a PC finding that will ruin your day. AIFTG works best when you get the ticket and your license back in your hands before the officer begins the fishing expedition.

·
Registered
683 Posts
Chances are likely the MJ offenses were in either plain sight, or the odor of MJ was present in the vehicle. For further info regarding the traffic stops file an ORA and get the arresting officer's point of view.[/quote]

I had this happen to me in the city of Atlanta years ago I was pulled over and the cop said he smelled MJ I had never smoked in the car I was in. So he was hard of smelling or just saying that. All they have to say is I smell MJ and this is probable cause? How could you ever prove other wise at that point you have to prove your innocence.

·
Banned
1,639 Posts
elevatorman said:
I had this happen to me in the city of Atlanta years ago I was pulled over and the cop said he smelled MJ I had never smoked in the car I was in. So he was hard of smelling or just saying that. All they have to say is I smell MJ and this is probable cause? How could you ever prove other wise at that point you have to prove your innocence.
So are you saying the cop lied? Why would he do that? Are you paranoid? Do you think he was trying to frame you for a crime you did not commit?

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
howie1932 said:
elevatorman said:
I had never smoked in the car I was in.
This to me is the red flag. Just because you hadn't smoked in that car, doesn't mean your clothes, shoes, and hair didn't smell like it.
Read it as you may, but I think the man meant that he had never smoked anything in the car, therefore the car couldn't have smelled like it.

I get what your saying with the clothes and that is possible, but what do you mean by "red flag"?

·
Registered
726 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
smn said:
Go read Pennsylvania v. Mimms, 434 US 106 - Supreme Court 1977.

Chances are likely the MJ offenses were in either plain sight, or the odor of MJ was present in the vehicle. For further info regarding the traffic stops file an ORA and get the arresting officer's point of view.

But yes, the seemingly minor stop for an equipment violation can lead to a host of questions and expose the interior of your car to a plain view search or a PC finding that will ruin your day. AIFTG works best when you get the ticket and your license back in your hands before the officer begins the fishing expedition.
As long as the LEO is not using the minor infractions as a premise for the fishing expedition, then I think I see your point. The ones in the paper are those that provided RAS for the officer to look further, so I'm only seeing a specific subset of the minor infractions.

Pennsylvania v. Mimms is interesting reading. The officer can have you step out of the car on every stop for "officer safety."

·
Registered
1,925 Posts
kwikrnu said:
elevatorman said:
So are you saying the cop lied? Why would he do that? Are you paranoid? Do you think he was trying to frame you for a crime you did not commit?
Gosh, that NEVER could have happened in Atlanta where it concerns drug offenses could it? :sly:

There IS a clear pattern of police bending and breaking rules where it concerns police procedure in the course of trying to make drug arrests.

·
16,485 Posts
Montieth said:
kwikrnu said:
elevatorman said:
Gosh, that NEVER could have happened in Atlanta where it concerns drug offenses could it? :sly:

There IS a clear pattern of police bending and breaking rules where it concerns police procedure in the course of trying to make drug arrests.
I want to frame this.

·
Seasteading Aficionado
44,896 Posts
With marijuana stops, I think they really could just smell the marijuana. Even if you try to use something mask and hide the scent, even though none has been smoked in the car, the smell can still be overwhelming.

I'd say it really is difficult to hide the scent of marijuana. Most of the time they are caught, they probably smoked in the car. If you smoke weed in the car, come on, let's be honest, a police officer can smell that if the window is cracked, as soon as he gets out of his car if the wind is right.

If you ask me, marijuana is probably one of the worst illegal drugs that you can have on your or use, from a standpoint of everyone knowing you're doing it. Once you know the smell of marijuana, you don't forget it.

I remember I was on the beach one time, some kids were smoking marijuana a few hundred yards away, I could see them lighting up, and I could smell it because the wind was blowing perfectly down from them. Its not a covert drug to use.

·
Registered
4,352 Posts
oxfat said:
In reading the Forsyth Herald, I see a lot of:
- Arrested for posession of marijuana and no seatbelt
- Arrested for posession of marijuana and no headlights
- Arrested for posession of marijuana and traffic violations
- Arrested for posession of marijuana and improper lane change
- Arrested for posession of marijuana and no tag light

I could go on and on. It looks to me that most drug arrests start on the pretense of a minor traffic violation, and become a fishing expedition. There are two points here.

First, it looks like a common method to check for drugs is to find a car that looks suspicious, and then find a reason to pull them over.
The second point, or question really, is that would AIFTG even work in this situation, or once you have a minor trafic violation, do they have reasonable suspicion?
Most of these type cases is that an officer pulled you over for a tag light , then smells drugs then he has RAS/PC . So there for the AIFTG will not work

·
Registered
10,667 Posts
Ya'll haven't learned yet.
It isn't hard...nothing in the law prevents me from asking you anything.
I can stop you for speeding and ask you if you have any drugs in the car.
I can ask you if you burglarized a residence, robbed a liquor store, murdered your wife, or wagged your dong at the WalMart.
We can talk about anything you are willing to talk to me about, and the vast majority of people do talk to us....period.
We have had people drive to the Sheriff's Office and confess to crimes, and give us evidence of those crimes, that we didn't even know about.
We have had people hand a bag of marijuana out the window as the deputy approached the car, without saying a word to the driver.
Cause a cop finds drugs on a traffic stop isn't anything spectacular. Happens all day every day. "Sir do you have any marijuana in your car or in your pockets?? Answer "Yessssss"
Ask a woman if she has any contraband in her purse, and she just might dump the whole thing out on the decklid of your patrol car, knowing good and well she has an 8 ball of meth in there.

I am just as certain that there are people walking around Oconee County today that are guilty of a variety of crimes that we can't prove, and they won't confess, so they are free. For now anyway.
So what.....
The wheel goes around. If you are living on the edge of the law, you will get caught, sooner or later. Confess or not, there may or may not be a conviction. I currently have a whole gang of burglars doing 20 year stretches in the big house and they still haven't said a word to anyone....

It's a wonder I keep coming back here...... :roll:

·
Registered
4,352 Posts
SheriffOconee said:
I can ask you if you burglarized a residence, robbed a liquor store, murdered your wife, or wagged your dong at the WalMart.
We can talk about anything you are willing to talk to me about, and the vast majority of people do talk to us....period.
We have had people drive to the Sheriff's Office and confess to crimes, and give us evidence of those crimes, that we didn't even know about.
We have had people hand a bag of marijuana out the window as the deputy approached the car, without saying a word to the driver.
Cause a cop finds drugs on a traffic stop isn't anything spectacular. Happens all day every day. "Sir do you have any marijuana in your car or in your pockets?? Answer "Yessssss"
Ask a woman if she has any contraband in her purse, and she just might dump the whole thing out on the decklid of your patrol car, knowing good and well she has an 8 ball of meth in there.

I am just as certain that there are people walking around Oconee County today that are guilty of a variety of crimes that we can't prove, and they won't confess, so they are free. For now anyway.
So what.....
The wheel goes around. If you are living on the edge of the law, you will get caught, sooner or later. Confess or not, there may or may not be a conviction. I currently have a whole gang of burglars doing 20 year stretches in the big house and they still haven't said a word to anyone....

No you are great value to this site my friend !But I wonder it also for myself

and for what it's worth I am on your side of the law . :righton: :righton: :righton:

·
Registered
4,352 Posts
Honestly here being a member , I see more and more people trying to get out of something then being a law abiding citizen. Like they want to find ways to get over on the law and maybe get a law suit going.

Maybe we should ask for the name (georgiapacking.org) to be changed to

Waystogetoveronthegov.org :lol: :lol: :lol:

·
Seasteading Aficionado
44,896 Posts
SheriffOconee said:

So what.....

I get it Sheriff, and I completely agree with you. It is extremely difficult to not talk to a police officer. If one talks to me, its very difficult not to answer them back.

I was watching a LEO show the other night, and there were just tons of people telling LEO, "Yes, I do have marijuana in my car, or on my person." Its like they don't think its illegal or bad to have on them. :screwy: They don't even try to not answer the questions. Even better are when the officer smells it, they say they don't have it, then the officer finds 100 lbs of it in the back of the SUV. Did you really think you were going to hide the scent of that to an officer? :screwy:

I'm glad you keep coming back here, Sheriff. I've personally learned so much from you and Legacy over the past year or more. I'm glad you keep coming back. Your advice and knowledge seem to shine above the rest. Plus, its great to get your take on new laws being passed as they are from the law enforcement side, and we get to see how other departments are viewing the particular law. Its valuable and priceless.

Just wanted to say thank you for hanging around and posting. :righton:

·
Registered
10,667 Posts
I think that most people here are. I think, from the safety of their lounge chair they have to find SOME reason to believe people confess or talk to the cops, other than the real one....they just do...all the time, every day.....

And there ain't a single thing wrong with a cop talking to someone....again, happens all day every day....

·
Die Hard GCO Recruiter
6,763 Posts
SheriffOconee said:

So what.....

Some of us have learned. I have learned alot from you sheriff and hope you continue to come back, despite some.

·
Registered
6,993 Posts
EJR914 said:
I'm glad you keep coming back here, Sheriff. I've personally learned so much from you and Legacy over the past year or more. I'm glad you keep coming back. Your advice and knowledge seem to shine above the rest. Plus, its great to get your take on new laws being passed as they are from the law enforcement side, and we get to see how other departments are viewing the particular law. Its valuable and priceless.

Just wanted to say thank you for hanging around and posting. :righton:
+1000

·
Registered
4,352 Posts
budone1967 said:
SheriffOconee said:

So what.....

Some of us have learned. I have learned alot from you sheriff and hope you continue to come back, despite some.
you would think MODS or OWNER would do something about this, I can count at least 10 people that went elsewhere and I know about 13 that is thinking or trying to lure themselves away.

·
Seasteading Aficionado
44,896 Posts
I believe you've stated it here very clearly, such as "most people we arrest talk themselves into cuffs." I'm paraphrasing. Most people you arrest almost beg you to take them into cuffs. They admit to doing illegal things or having illegal things, sometimes all you have to do is ask, sometimes they just admit with no questions asked. I've got no problem with an officer asking me any question. Its as normal as can be.

I have always answered a LEO's questions. Somtimes I shouldn't have, but I did anyway. Its very difficult for me to not answer a police officer. You almost have to train yourself not to, especially if you are truly being suspected of doing something illegal (felony), when you know you have not.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts