Georgia Firearm Forums - Georgia Packing banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Atlanta Overwatch
13,951 Posts
Everyone knew this was coming when the Dems lost the White House.

Demand and sales were high due to threats of extreme regulation. Now that the threat is gone the bubble is broken and demand and sales are returning to normal.

·
Deplorable bitter clinger.
5,709 Posts
Yes, but on the other hand....

http://www.foxnews.com/opinion/2017...and-minorities-are-buying-guns-heres-why.html

So when a pro-Second Amendment candidate won the election most observers figured that gun sales would at last begin to drop. But it hasn't worked out that way.

Conventional wisdom held that the sharp rise in gun sales over the course of Obama's presidency was supposedly driven, at least in part, by the threat of gun control. That's why everyone expected gun sales to decline after Trump's victory. Yet, the average monthly gun sales from November through February are up from the already very high level in October.

In fact, there was a large increase in gun sales immediately following the election. November had a record-setting month for FBI background checks. On Black Friday, there was a single day record of 185,713 checks. While December sales were not quite at record levels, they were still the second highest monthly total ever. January's and February's sales data slipped below last January's and February's, but they were still the second highest January and February sales on record.

·
Registered
3,222 Posts
Spin, Spin, Spin.

Remington is moving OUT of Ilion, NY due to their abominible "SAFE" act and other issues. While Remington may be attributing the layoffs to diminishing sales, the real reason is to get out from under taxes, regulations, and unions. They have already started moving sub-brands to Huntsville, AL and will continue emptying that factory until New York gets the firearm industry it wants, which to say is nonexistent.

·
Member Georgia Carry
11,937 Posts
It's probably because folks need to rest their wallets for awhile. I know I'd STILL be buying stuff regardless of who's the President, but my money has a limited supply.

·
Registered
1,586 Posts
Please elaborate, Mr. Hutch. I did not realize this.
If you shop around. $40 Anderson lower, $40 LPK, $35 mil spec tube/buffer/spring/stock kit, so $115 completed lower. Then delta team tactical has uppers for $190 on sale, and can be bundled with a $70 melonited m16 BCG and $8 charging handle, for a $270 complete upper. That's a $385 carbine before sights and accessories.

·
Super Moderator
69,784 Posts
If you shop around. $40 Anderson lower, $40 LPK, $35 mil spec tube/buffer/spring/stock kit, so $115 completed lower. Then delta team tactical has uppers for $190 on sale, and can be bundled with a $70 melonited m16 BCG and $8 charging handle, for a $270 complete upper. That's a $385 carbine before sights and accessories.
Interesting.

How would this $385 build compare to a Colt 6920 (serious question)?

·
Registered
1,586 Posts
Interesting.

Well, you're looking at a 1:7 twist melonite treated barrel, and a melonite treated BCG instead of chrome lined barrel and chromed bolt/phosphate coated carrier. So it will be more corrosion resistant and run smoother and more reliably with less lube, and make for fast and easy cleaning. The mil spec trigger from a $40 kit will be perfectly functional but probably leave a little to be desired, but so will the mil spec trigger on a colt. The rail will be free floated though, with a low profile gas block. The Anderson lower is forged at Cera just like the colt. There is no advantage to the colt other than the logo.

·
Registered
14,962 Posts
Yes, but on the other hand....

http://www.foxnews.com/opinion/2017...and-minorities-are-buying-guns-heres-why.html

So when a pro-Second Amendment candidate won the election most observers figured that gun sales would at last begin to drop. But it hasn’t worked out that way.

Conventional wisdom held that the sharp rise in gun sales over the course of Obama’s presidency was supposedly driven, at least in part, by the threat of gun control. That’s why everyone expected gun sales to decline after Trump’s victory. Yet, the average monthly gun sales from November through February are up from the already very high level in October.

In fact, there was a large increase in gun sales immediately following the election. November had a record-setting month for FBI background checks. On Black Friday, there was a single day record of 185,713 checks. While December sales were not quite at record levels, they were still the second highest monthly total ever. January’s and February’s sales data slipped below last January’s and February’s, but they were still the second highest January and February sales on record.
Consider that even after Trump won the election there were concerted efforts up through Inauguration Day to deprive Trump of the Presidency. There were probably lots of concerned citizens believing that the Clinton machine would somehow find a way to steal the election.

·
Registered
14,962 Posts
Interesting.

Well, you're looking at a 1:7 twist melonite treated barrel, and a melonite treated BCG instead of chrome lined barrel and chromed bolt/phosphate coated carrier. So it will be more corrosion resistant and run smoother and more reliably with less lube, and make for fast and easy cleaning. The mil spec trigger from a $40 kit will be perfectly functional but probably leave a little to be desired, but so will the mil spec trigger on a colt. The rail will be free floated though, with a low profile gas block. The Anderson lower is forged at Cera just like the colt. There is no advantage to the colt other than the logo.
If you want to have a fun day at the range there's nothing wrong with a parts gun. Have a blast. Learn to shoot well. Learn how the gun functions and how to fix it.

Are you willing to bet your life on that parts gun? Malfunctions at the range don't affect your life. Malfunctions on a two-way range do. I'm not saying that factory guns don't break. Anything mechanical is subject to failure. I'll take a factory built gun for social work any day over a home built parts gun that could be subject to functional issues and/or hyper sensitive to tolerances. And not all factory guns are equal. Just my opinion and YMMV.

·
Registered
1,586 Posts
If you want to have a fun day at the range there's nothing wrong with a parts gun. Have a blast. Learn to shoot well. Learn how the gun functions and how to fix it.

Are you willing to bet your life on that parts gun? Malfunctions at the range don't affect your life. Malfunctions on a two-way range do. I'm not saying that factory guns don't break. Anything mechanical is subject to failure. I'll take a factory built gun for social work any day over a home built parts gun that could be subject to functional issues and/or hyper sensitive to tolerances. And not all factory guns are equal. Just my opinion and YMMV.
Except a factory AR is nothing special. There is no special matching of the upper, lower, barrel, and BCG. Just big boxes of parts. It all clicks together the same, and spec parts are spec parts.

·
Registered
14,962 Posts
Except a factory AR is nothing special. There is no special matching of the upper, lower, barrel, and BCG. Just big boxes of parts. It all clicks together the same, and spec parts are spec parts.
I disagree with that in part. In general, a factory gun has been QC'd and test fired before going out the door. It will usually go "bang" out of the box. I read too many stories of people assembling their own parts guns to keep costs down and then complaining when this or that doesn't function to their expectations.

But like I said above, not all factory guns are equal. If I'm going to depend on an AR-type rifle to keep me alive there's only 2 or 3 manufacturers I'd choose from and all of mine are currently from just 1 manufacturer. YMMV of course.

·
Registered
1,586 Posts
I disagree with that in part. In general, a factory gun has been QC'd and test fired before going out the door. It will usually go "bang" out of the box. I read too many stories of people assembling their own parts guns to keep costs down and then complaining when this or that doesn't function to their expectations.

But like I said above, not all factory guns are equal. If I'm going to depend on an AR-type rifle to keep me alive there's only 2 or 3 manufacturers I'd choose from and all of mine are currently from just 1 manufacturer. YMMV of course.
So what features of those rifles is it that makes them better than others? QC is performed by a $10/hour dude with a cart full of guns, making sure they go bang. That's something that should be done with a home assembled rifle anyway.

·
Super Moderator
69,784 Posts
Which 2 or 3 and which one?

1 - 20 of 35 Posts