Georgia Firearm Forums - Georgia Packing banner

1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,598 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I like the SCAR-L and SCAR-H, just wondering if anybody has one and what your experiences with it might be? The only thing I *really* don't like is the flimsy plastic hinge for the folding stock. Otherwise seems like a solid design and folks say reliability is great.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,867 Posts
Im not an operator in the sandbox so its way too much $$ for me....


im not gonna use $2400 worth of gun, and for that price, its heavier than my AR and feels super cheap to me.

If you have the cash and feel the need, go get one, they are a proven design.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,403 Posts
They are quite nice. I'm very tempted to buy one, but it's pretty hard to justify the cost for something that is a toy.

I will probably give in eventually, but for now I'm still waiting. If you pick one up, don't let me shoot it. I'm sure that's all it would take. :shattered:

Az
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
847 Posts
Aren't they just a piston-driven AR with a side-folding stock?

I've always just assumed their 'advantages' are the same that any piston-driven AR would have over a DI....and the side-folding stock is....well....just a side-folding stock.

But I don't own one....so I'm just baiting any fan-boys to tout its merits.

:)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,598 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
SaltySamurai said:
Aren't they just a piston-driven AR with a side-folding stock?

I've always just assumed their 'advantages' are the same that any piston-driven AR would have over a DI....and the side-folding stock is....well....just a side-folding stock.
Um...no. It's a completely different design. Do a google search and look at the bolt and carrier, it is not at all like an AR setup. The recent US army tests showed stoppages for the SCAR (and HK 416) are about 25% as frequent as for an M4.

I like my ARs, I'm just looking at other options. I also like the AUG A3.
 

·
Seasteading Aficionado
Joined
·
44,896 Posts
Someone bought the one from Cro-Bar a while back. Must be nice. I wish I could just fire one, TBH.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
477 Posts
Sounds like a lot of guys without hands on experience...

I've shot several and sold many to people that use them. The SCAR is a very nice platform. They are light, reliable and very easy to shoot. These rifles are more than just a piston AR, they're the next generation of rifles. More rounds were fired for the SCAR development program than any other weapons program.

All of that being said, most people would not appreciate the differences between a SCAR and a DI AR-15. While the 5.56 rifles are very nice, the platform really shines with 7.62 NATO.

The 7.62 guns (SCAR 17 or SCAR-H) are very light for a .308, but do not have the recoil of traditional .308 systems.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,704 Posts
A SCAR 16 is on my short list. I already told the wife that I'm setting aside for one as soon as I get a job. Period.

The design to me is just phenomenal. There is a thread on a forum I read over a year ago comparing the two systems, including thermal camera images of the receivers, BCG, barrels, and operating systems. You can see it here: http://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=62889

It's an ingenious advancement of the rifle. Everything from the stock to the BCG was completely rethought from efficiency and utilitarian standpoints.

If I didn't have a story to go with my DD M4v5, I would swap it for a SCAR in a heartbeat.
 

·
Seasteading Aficionado
Joined
·
44,896 Posts
madcapmagician said:
Sounds like a lot of guys without hands on experience...

I've shot several and sold many to people that use them. The SCAR is a very nice platform. They are light, reliable and very easy to shoot. These rifles are more than just a piston AR, they're the next generation of rifles. More rounds were fired for the SCAR development program than any other weapons program.

All of that being said, most people would not appreciate the differences between a SCAR and a DI AR-15. While the 5.56 rifles are very nice, the platform really shines with 7.62 NATO.

The 7.62 guns (SCAR 17 or SCAR-H) are very light for a .308, but do not have the recoil of traditional .308 systems.
I would literally love to just shoot a SCAR-H. I completely agree with you. The platform shines with 7.62 NATO.

I will just absolutely have to buy one, one day. I better start saving up, its going to take a very long time before I can afford a toy like that.
 

·
Seasteading Aficionado
Joined
·
44,896 Posts
Hunley said:
A SCAR 16 is on my short list. I already told the wife that I'm setting aside for one as soon as I get a job. Period.

The design to me is just phenomenal. There is a thread on a forum I read over a year ago comparing the two systems, including thermal camera images of the receivers, BCG, barrels, and operating systems. You can see it here: http://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=62889

It's an ingenious advancement of the rifle. Everything from the stock to the BCG was completely rethought from efficiency and utilitarian standpoints.

If I didn't have a story to go with my DD M4v5, I would swap it for a SCAR in a heartbeat.
That's a very nice find, there Hunley. Thank you for posting that.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
672 Posts
There is another option :evil:





I'm addicted to this gun, and it's a very expensive habit. I have dubbed this one my next patrol rifle. After a few more trips to the range to ensure familiarization.
 

·
Seasteading Aficionado
Joined
·
44,896 Posts
Jk30265 said:
There is another option :evil:





I'm addicted to this gun, and it's a very expensive habit. I have dubbed this one my next patrol rifle. After a few more trips to the range to ensure familiarization, and a couple hundred more rounds to ensure reliability (thus far 580 rounds, not one hiccup, cleaned once.)

Can be acquired for a very favorable price if you know where to look. I paid less than $2k, but of course once you had the eotech, surefire, etc... it broke the $2k mark, but still it is a thing of beauty, and it definitely doesn't have any looseness or weak feeling in the stock whether folded or not. Rock solid platform IMHO.
That sure is perty! :love:
 

·
Just a Man
Joined
·
6,056 Posts
Can that SIG 556 operate with the stock folded? It kind of looks like the stock would get in the way of the bolt ejecting a spent shell.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,867 Posts
Jk30265 said:
There is another option :evil:





I'm addicted to this gun, and it's a very expensive habit. I have dubbed this one my next patrol rifle. After a few more trips to the range to ensure familiarization, and a couple hundred more rounds to ensure reliability (thus far 580 rounds, not one hiccup, cleaned once.)

Can be acquired for a very favorable price if you know where to look. I paid less than $2k, but of course once you had the eotech, surefire, etc... it broke the $2k mark, but still it is a thing of beauty, and it definitely doesn't have any looseness or weak feeling in the stock whether folded or not. Rock solid platform IMHO.
Where did you get one for sub $2K???
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
672 Posts
tmoore912 said:
Can that SIG 556 operate with the stock folded? It kind of looks like the stock would get in the way of the bolt ejecting a spent shell.
Not a sig 556.... It's the A.C.R, and yes it functions fine with the stock folded, no problems, though I haven't honestly shot it much with the stock folded, maybe 20 rounds or so just to get the feel of it, most of my rounds have been stock extended
 

·
Seasteading Aficionado
Joined
·
44,896 Posts
I'd like to try out the ACR as well. I haven't looked a lot into the design, but I've heard good things about them.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
672 Posts
jabara572 said:
Where did you get one for sub $2K???
http://www.jetguns.com/bushmstr-acrss16mb-p-2621.html Basics under $1800

http://www.cheaperthandirt.com/62888-1.html Basic under $1800

http://www.cheaperthandirt.com/62890-1.html Enhanced under $1900

I got mine from a dealer near where I work, he is pro LE and gets them for us at his cost from his distributor. But as linked above, there are several places now selling the basics for 1600-1800 and then enhanced for 1700-1800, just have to know where to look, also Bushmaster/ Remington have recently lowered the MSRP's and the actual distributor/dealer costs. The caliber conversions will start rolling out in a month or two (according to bushmaster's LE rep that I spoke with).
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
672 Posts
EJR914 said:
I'd like to try out the ACR as well. I haven't looked a lot into the design, but I've heard good things about them.
I love mine, the main complaints that people had when they were released were cost, which is coming down, weight, which really isn't that bad to me, sure it's a little heavy compared to an AR (so is the SCAR to me) but it really diminishes the muzzle flip, and the 1/9 barrel, as far as that goes, I'm told that the 1/7's and the caliber conversions will be out very soon, by summer, and really I've noticed no problems with the 1/9 twist, and it has accurately shot everything I've put through it to this point, steel cased, and everything from 55 grain up to 70+... honestly one of my favorite things about it was the numerous sling attachment points available, really allows anyone to set up the rifle according to their specific preferences, of course to me it was also great having a reversible charging handle since I'm a lefty.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,598 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I wanted an ACR, but I've heard some mixed reviews and some QC grumbles, so I'm going to wait until they refine it a little move, and hopefully shave the weight down. I think my next one will be either a SCAR-L (can't afford to shoot the H model as much) or an AUG A3. I love the bullpup, but it is an older design without some of the newer design features of the SCAR. And it needs some trigger work to get the 11+lb trigger down to 5-8lb due to the long transfer bar. Decisions, decisions...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
39 Posts
I just got to handle a scar a few months ago and I was really really impressed. Like a previous poster had said, I would favor the .308 version. It breaks down very easily. It really is an awesome platform that's built to run rough. If I had to have one gun only I'd want the scar in .308. It's a crap ton of money though.
 
1 - 20 of 56 Posts
Top