FN Five-SeveN

Discussion in 'Firearms' started by DrGlock, Mar 26, 2007.

1. DrGlock

DrGlock New Member

Anyone heard any feedback on this bad boy?

Sure does sound like fun!!! :twisted:

2. rajl

rajl New Member

Over-priced and over-rated.

The bullets are insanely expensive. The caliber is essentially a high-velocity .22. It's low recoil would make it a great plinker, except for the price. It's high-velocity cartridge would make it a good SD round, if only it were a bigger caliber and they sold the military rounds to the civilians.

Personally, I'm rather underwhelmed by it.

3. foshizzle

foshizzle New Member

Some people swear by them. These guys are fanatics. Seems like they are usually on the defensive, but they like the Five SeveN.

http://www.fivesevenforum.com/

Their forum is down tonight, so look tomorrow.

I handled one at a gunstore. Plastic POS if you ask me. 20 rounds, so I guess that's good. It'll zip through body armor, but so will a CZ52 in 7.62x25. I think the AP stuff is restricted but it's still a very small, high velocity round. I don't think there is a real self-defense application for it. It's a full-sized handgun... light, yes, but the size alone you could come up with a few dozen proven alternatives well past .45 ACP. Last time I checked ammo was ~20 bucks for a box of 50. It was developed to defeat body armor and be used by LE... they could carry lots of rounds, have very little recoil and spray and pray more effectively... typical SWAT wish-list. I think they actually marketed it that stating that it would "incapacitate"... that's entirely subjective but I think it says a lot. And, you're talking over 800 bucks for one!

Now... a PS-90... those are pretty dope. A more relevant application. :D

4. Rammstein

Rammstein New Member

I have shot one.

I was not impressed at all. Ergonomics felt weird to me.

Like rajl said "Over-priced and over-rated."

5. rajl

rajl New Member

Actually, the civilian version *WON'T* pierce body armor. The armor-piercing rounds are military and police only. So from our perspective, the FN is a dud. The ammunition that is meant to make it an easy to control, body-armor piercing pistol, is simply not available. So for a civilian, you've got a solution in search of a problem.

6. Axeman

Axeman New Member

I guess I am the loan carrier here. :lol: I swear by them every time I CCW. It is a potent round and is easy to control. I get 20 rounds per mag and fully loaded is only 1.6 lbs.

So many people think it is a "fancy" 22 but that is not correct. :shakehead: It could be more accurately compared to the 22WMR or a somewhat slower .223, which are pretty potent. The ballistics data is sufficent enough to convience me that it is a viable round.

Several police deparments, including APD, and even the Secret Service use this round, of course they use the armor piercing rounds though. Many european countries, and spec ops teams use them as well.

I have never had a failure and though it is a small bullet it is traveling at 2100+fps. In the world of ballistics speed is as important as the size. It is very easy to break down, only three pieces: barrel with spring around it, handle, and slide. The rounds are rifle rounds fired from 4.5" barrel.

And before anyone starts with the "what about over penetration?" bit I use the SS195 round which is the non expanding JHP. This round enters the body and starts to Yaw like a .223 would, you have a nice chance of hitting vital organs or arteries. Not to mention the fact that 90% of the Muzzle energy gets transfered to the body, as opposed to signicantly less in more conventional rounds if/when the bullets just goes through.

The round is very accurate and I can do follow up shots extremely quickly while keeping control due to less recoil. :shoot: It is also a single action pistol.

I will say however that it is kinda pricy, and the ammo is not cheap but so is the 45ACP ammo for my XD.

I am not trying to change anyone else's minds here, just giving some info and my opinion. To each... Either you like it or you don't. I mean how many people out there either love or hate the "plastic" Glocks? Not to mention the folks who believe if it doesn't start with a .4, it ain't good enough.

The great thing is we can all agree to protect each others 2A rights whether we prefer: 1911s, "Plastic Guns" ie. Glocks, XDs, etc, or even revolvers. I am just glad that we have the ability to disagree on what type of guns we like/dislike and not just wishing we could have any in the first place.

Hope that helps. :)

7. Malum Prohibitum

Malum Prohibitum Moderator Staff Member

http://abclocal.go.com/wls/story?sectio ... id=5367819

8. 01coltcolt

01coltcolt New Member

LOL, You guys should shoot the gun before forming a internet opinion! I bought one with many doubtful thoughts. I have built it to meet my standards cosmetically and functionally. I love the thing. The PS90 is one of my most accurate guns. Believe me thats not a bias statement I own allot of high end assault rifles. I placed 3 rounds in a 1" group at 25 yards this week end free hand with out trying . Yeah I was showing off. I didnt even try hard that was rapid fire! There is zero recoil! I love it now that its finished~! When this $3000.00 pcs of Sh@t gets outlawed I own one!
    [​IMG]
    Stage 3 Vest! OUCH with SS197SR sporting cartridges (Teflon tipped civilian legal for now, round) bought at local shops every where!
    In the middle between a .223 (5.56x45) and 7.62x39
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

9. Axeman

Axeman New Member

10. Axeman

Axeman New Member

I didn't know defending yourself was a sport!

If it is I wonder what my score is and where I am in the standings? :roll:

I guess when I start to OC I should expect some extra crap if I get stopped in Gwinnett. :handcuffs: Maybe I should only OC the XD45... no they might mistake it for an evil Glock, but then again they would see that it is not that murderous 9mm luger round the VT shooter used. :p

11. slabertooch

slabertooch New Member

Saw one at a gun show in SC last weekend. Picked it up and was surprised at the weight of that thing, or lack there of. I really wanted one but now I'm not sure, dang thing feels like a glock/toy, has no heft to it at all. I might get one though, I've heard a lot of good things about them.

12. Axeman

Axeman New Member

It is definately light, even fully loaded it is barely noticably more heavy, but I can testify that after carrying it daily for a year and shooting it, that it holds up very well. I show no apparent wear. :D

I think once you throw some hot lead down it you might just get hooked. I know they are not for everyone, (but what gun is?), but if you give it a try with an open mind you may just find yourself finding the $$$ somewhere. :mrgreen:

Oh and as a bonus you will love the take down of the thing. Very easy and it has only 3 parts, barrell encompassed by the spring, handle, and slide. Field stripping is so easy and takes less than 3 seconds.

If you were anywhere near me I would let you try mine out.

13. Rammstein

Rammstein New Member

6/16?

14. budder

budder Moderator Staff Member

I came here to post that 8) If you guys would bring your 5.7 guns, I'd be more than happy to find some ammo. I'm quite interested in trying one, though I doubt I could afford to feed my own :(

15. Axeman

Axeman New Member

Not sure if I can make it, going out of town for a trade show shortly after and I am low on ammo, and funds for all my firearms.

But If I get a chance I will try to warn you ahead of time. :wink:

16. budder

budder Moderator Staff Member

Woo! I've been meaning to shoot one of these since, err, Counter-Strike 1.3. :eek: But don't hold that against me. It's a very cool gun in its own right and I've only gotten to hold it :(

17. foshizzle

foshizzle New Member

It's still a weak round. Or is there data proving otherwise? I'm not trying to antagonize but the PS90 is cool as hell but what is it putting downrange? Those are tiny ass high-velocity bullets that cost an arm and a leg. An Uzi would be better.

18. tace

tace New Member

Well, an Uzi is not as accurate. This gun/round has a place if the target is wearing body armor, otherwise a UMP40/MP5 is still better. At least for CQBs.

Now having said that, Gwinnet police made a drug bust recently where the BG had a bullet proof vest. So, for LEOs this gun is looking more viable everyday.

19. Axeman

Axeman New Member

There have been a several instances where police have used either the P90 and/or the FiveseveN pistol and killed the target with a single shot. Some wore body armor some didn't.

Also only in one instance that I read did the round exit the body, and that one came out downward from the armpit, but it killed the BG.

In another case the medical examiner noted that the wound ballistics on the dead BG was "interesting" and not unlike a 9mm, but only at the peak of power.

Another instance the guy survived only because it went through a 2" solid core wood door and started to yaw before hitting the guy in the forearm shattering the bones.

I am recalling all this back from memory and sorry I don't have the links.

Weak? We have some members here who carry .380s, and smaller caliber pistols, (not that there is anything wrong with that), for carry, this is definately more powerfull than those.

Oh, well I guess we just have to agree to disagree. :wink:

I

20. 01coltcolt

01coltcolt New Member

The bullet is just a hair shy of the 5.56(.223) The AR-15 is a undisputed killer. This has a little less powder and brass but not much less powder. Its proven to penetrate! As for accurate I am going to scan a target at 50 yards next time I shoot, You will call me a liar. LOL!