Georgia Firearm Forums - Georgia Packing banner
1 - 20 of 59 Posts

·
Glock Block Supporter
2,573 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Mark Howell said:
TSA spokesman Mark Howell's presentation at Akron-Canton Airport was documented by the local media (click the link below for video). Howell stressed that the TSA is not inherently against guns and that most of the people who bring firearms to security checkpoints do so unintentionally. He said that these cases of honest mistakes usually don’t lead to charges or fines. He also said that the “TSA doesn't want to infringe on anybody's right to take a firearm with them when they travel. We just want to make sure that it's done in the safest way possible."
http://www.foxnews.com/travel/2016/05/12/tsa-explains-right-way-to-legally-fly-with-gun.html

·
Member Georgia Carry
11,932 Posts
I didn't think the hard case your gun was in had to have a TSA approved lock they could access.

·
Man of Myth and Legend
15,348 Posts
All that does not matter if you board planes in Ca, NY or NJ.

Nemo

·
Swollen Member
11,969 Posts
I didn't think the hard case your gun was in had to have a TSA approved lock they could access.
You are not allowed to have locks TSA can access on your gun case.

·
Registered
756 Posts
I watched that video, that guy is an idiot. After saying to lock your case with a TSA lock (which is completely wrong) he then says to lock the signed declaration form inside the hard side case, which is also completely wrong.

·
hu huh, you said "Member"
585 Posts
The thing to do with a pistol is to have the hard case in a regular piece of luggage (w/ TSA lock), i.e. something that blends in with all the rest of the zillions of others by quick glance. Then you have the separately locked hard case inside that bag, with your own lock/key/combo.

With long guns (rifles mainly), it's usually never that easy, unless you can take apart the gun enough to fit it inside a hard case that fits in some ordinary-looking luggage (i.e. shotgun where you can easily take the barrel apart, or even unpinned AR). A bolt-action hunting rifle is usually never that easy to camouflage inside a regular piece of luggage.

·
Registered
656 Posts
I did it that way until the lock got caught on the luggage belt at the check in counter and ripped the lock and entire zipper component from the luggage. It shut down the belt system for about 10 minutes.

Airline gave me a replacement suitcase of similar size and I had to repack everything (clothes, gun, and ammo) into the new suitcase in the check in area.

I now use a Pelican 1620 for my clothes and put the pistols in soft sided cases inside the Pelican. Abloy 330 locks on the outside. Nearly indestructible.

Very similar to this guy
http://deviating.net/firearms/packing/accounts.html

·
Registered
841 Posts
Gun in locked box that nobody but you has access to. Then put that in a checked back. I traveled to MT last week with my G20, and I took it a step further. I used a cable through the framework on the suitcase to cable my locked box to suitcase. This makes it tougher to steal the gun, because you would either have to take the entire piece of lugger, or cut the cable. Would not stop a determined thief, but it does make if much tougher to discretely steel from the case.

·
Man of Myth and Legend
15,348 Posts
A bolt-action hunting rifle is usually never that easy to camouflage inside a regular piece of luggage.
The one time I did that way back in time I just took the action/barrel off the wood stock and it all fit well.

Nemo

·
Registered
249 Posts
I watched that video, that guy is an idiot. After saying to lock your case with a TSA lock (which is completely wrong) he then says to lock the signed declaration form inside the hard side case, which is also completely wrong.
I've always put the declaration form inside the hard case. But it was a gun case with only long guns and no outer pocket. Where are you supposed to put it?

·
Registered
756 Posts
I've always put the declaration form inside the hard case. But it was a gun case with only long guns and no outer pocket. Where are you supposed to put it?
Where it is visible by the TSA officer. I put it right on top of my case on the outside and ether tape it or rubber band it to the case.

I have flown over 100 times in the last 12 months. I'm currently posting from TX, flew from AL,to OR, drove to WA state, then back to Portland, and flew to TX. Home on Wednesday and fly back out for Ca on Monday. I have flown with my XDs .45, a box of hornady critical defense, 2 mags, my kydex tuckable IWB holster, and my Ga carry kersaw knife from one coast to the other. I've learned a few tricks.

·
GeePeeDoHolic
6,415 Posts
In my case (no pun intended), the Southwest attendant went off to hunt down tape so she could tape it to the case for me.

·
Registered
3,222 Posts
I fly pretty regularly. Mostly on Delta. Of course, when I fly to a non-free state, I leave items that would get me arrested behind. But most of my travel is to locations that honor my GWCL, so I have a hard Plano triangular case and a Plano ammunition case. Both get locked with a miicro-sized Master lock. Decoration (technical name for the orange tag the agent gives you) goes right on top. The next step depends on the airport. Flying out of ATL, I take the bag to the oversized luggage drop. Walk up to that door with an ordinary suitcase and they will invariably ask "Firearm?" Let them go through their security dance and then put a TSA lock on the outside of the suitcase.

Other airports may just take the bag at the ordinary drop. I typically stick around for a few minutes in case they need to talk to me. Once in a while an agent will holler at me asking why I am not using the normal bag drop. I resist the urge to yell "I have a gun", mainly because I don't want an extended, unpleasant conversation with the local gendarmes. I generally walk up to the counter or roaming agent and quietly state my need to "declare a firearm".

Be aware that while Georgia allows carry in an airport outside of the security zones, other states do not allow uncased firearms on airport property at all. Make sure of where you plan to unholster and case your firearm.

·
Registered
756 Posts
I fly pretty regularly. Mostly on Delta. Of course, when I fly to a non-free state, I leave items that would get me arrested behind. But most of my travel is to locations that honor my GWCL, so I have a hard Plano triangular case and a Plano ammunition case. Both get locked with a miicro-sized Master lock. Decoration (technical name for the orange tag the agent gives you) goes right on top. The next step depends on the airport. Flying out of ATL, I take the bag to the oversized luggage drop. Walk up to that door with an ordinary suitcase and they will invariably ask "Firearm?" Let them go through their security dance and then put a TSA lock on the outside of the suitcase.

Other airports may just take the bag at the ordinary drop. I typically stick around for a few minutes in case they need to talk to me. Once in a while an agent will holler at me asking why I am not using the normal bag drop. I resist the urge to yell "I have a gun", mainly because I don't want an extended, unpleasant conversation with the local gendarmes. I generally walk up to the counter or roaming agent and quietly state my need to "declare a firearm".

Be aware that while Georgia allows carry in an airport outside of the security zones, other states do not allow uncased firearms on airport property at all. Make sure of where you plan to unholster and case your firearm.
I don't even say firearm, I just ask for a declaration form, 95% of the time the airline agent has enough brain cells to rub together to understand what your asking for.

I try to limit my travel to the US, New York, Maryland, NJ, Illinois, and California are not part of the US. I'm my country we have this thing called the constitution. If you don't acknowledge the document as a whole your not in MY country.

·
Registered
756 Posts
My travel kit

My XDs
Ammo
Knife (GCO)
Holster
Extended Mag
And Fenix TK-15 light

Also my pelican case, it was not made for a firearm. I just added some padding and rolled with it. I got the smallest one I could that would still hold what I needed. When you live on the road you have to make sacrifices for size and space, and weight.

The 2 locks can be opened with the same key, and double as my gym lock on the road. My pelican case takes a lock in both corners.

I carry on my TK-15. It's allowed and if I had no other option I could use it defensively. I do carry backup batteries for it too.

I also deep conceal 100% of the time on the road. I do check the local laws before going to a new state, but I'd rather just avoid the legal conversation if I can. I know Ga law well enough to challenge a police officer, but I'm not that knowledgeable in every state in the US. Best to just keep it a secret.

·
Registered
841 Posts
My travel kit

My XDs
Ammo
Knife (GCO)
Holster
Extended Mag
And Fenix TK-15 light

Also my pelican case, it was not made for a firearm. I just added some padding and rolled with it. I got the smallest one I could that would still hold what I needed. When you live on the road you have to make sacrifices for size and space, and weight.

The 2 locks can be opened with the same key, and double as my gym lock on the road. My pelican case takes a lock in both corners.

I carry on my TK-15. It's allowed and if I had no other option I could use it defensively. I do carry backup batteries for it too.

I also deep conceal 100% of the time on the road. I do check the local laws before going to a new state, but I'd rather just avoid the legal conversation if I can. I know Ga law well enough to challenge a police officer, but I'm not that knowledgeable in every state in the US. Best to just keep it a secret.
Your setup is much nicer than mine. I use one of these
, and the cable that secures the box to my luggage worked its way into the lock mechanism. I could NOT open the case and had to use a hacksaw to cut the cable and then push it in to the box and shake it around to get it out of the mechanism.

1 - 20 of 59 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.