Georgia Firearm Forums - Georgia Packing banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The wife and I are traveling to a state that honors our carry license. I've not flown with a gun before but it looks like the rules are pretty straight forward except for not knowing how much extra early we need to be at the airport. Southwest requires that ammo be in a container designed to carry small amounts of ammo and that can be in the locked box. Have the small pistol box in the form of the case the Glock came in. Would taking the revolver or the Glock be the better idea? I like the smaller revolver, but only have one speed loader for the 5 shots. Don't know what else I have that would hold ammo and meet the guidelines.

·
Super Moderator
69,784 Posts
Southwest requires that ammo be in a container designed to carry small amounts of ammo and that can be in the locked box.
Use the factory ammo box. Always works for me. Double check the "ammo must be in the locked box" as that does not sound right and is not they way I have ever done it. I lock the ammo in the suitcase. I lock the locking gun case and lock it in the suitcase, too.

I unlock them for the TSA. I do not hand over the key. I watch them check it. I personally lock it back, not them. I never relinquish my key to anybody. I never let the luggage out of my sight until it is locked and I see them put it on the conveyor belt.

·
Registered
3,222 Posts
Another option is one of the Plano ammo cases sized for your caliber. Most sporting goods and gun stores sell them. The one for 9mm/.380 auto/.357/.38 special, etc. has a tab for a lock. I fly with that and a folded rag on top to eliminate rattle. You can't use kiosk and bag drop or curbside, you have to talk to an agent. I used to crash the line for special services until I got status with Delta and started to use the Sky Priority lanes. Be aware that your return flight may be marked "agent check-in only", preventing you from checking in online.

Both Delta and Southwest limit you to 11 pounds of ammo, but that includes the weight of the case.

Short answer is weight should not be a concern for flying with a firearm.

·
Swollen Member
11,969 Posts
Ammo does not have to be in a box or even separated. However, it must be secured. On Southwest, you can fly with your mags fully loaded if they are secured in foam with your gun unloaded. Per the Southwest website they are mainly concerned about loose ammo and protecting primers.

I fly with a similar case and cutout pattern and always with loaded mags. I even got a comment last Saturday from the TSA about how professional my setup looked.

Check these guys out. They hydrojet all their foam so your guns and mags will fit the case like a glove:

http://www.caseclub.com/

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.