Georgia Firearm Forums - Georgia Packing banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2,028 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Greetings,

I am reading and the term fluted and non-fluted barrel appear at some places.
I tried to find some info on the wbe and nothing does quite explain well what it is.

Anyone can explain what those terms mean?

Thank you

·
Super Moderator
69,784 Posts
They remove material longitudinally in stripes along the barrel. It decreases weight, gives more surface area to dissipate heat, without, supposedly, effecting the rigidity of the barrel.

I don't buy it.

·
Registered
6,313 Posts
Malum Prohibitum said:
They remove material longitudinally in stripes along the barrel. It decreases weight, gives more surface area to dissipate heat, without, supposedly, effecting the rigidity of the barrel.

I don't buy it.
[strike]It's a sound concept.[/strike]

I'm going to have to amend my remarks... designing a barrel with flutes can be advantageous if done properly. Taking a barrel & fluting after market can be dangerous (that material is there for a reason).

·
Registered
1,733 Posts
I'm not sure that it really improves cooling significantly, but it will be stiffer than a standard barrel of equal weight. It will not, despite what some claim, be as stiff as a bull barrel of the same OD.

Also, it looks purdy.

·
Registered
6,313 Posts
Nah, I just focused on the nerd stuff. I'll go back & look at it.

Mmmm, dead dog walkin'... I got a box of T-shot just for coyotes... need to use it.

Last coyote I saw nearly collided with my plane.

Here's another explaination:

http://www.snipercountry.com/Articles/R ... luting.asp

He's on point... but he's missed a few things... he flatly dismisses increased surface area as a factor in cooling and that is incorrect.

·
Registered
397 Posts
Just so you could chew on this for a while......

AeroShooter said:
Here is a nifty discussion on fluted vs. straight barrels:

http://www.varmintal.com/aflut.htm

I haven't had time to pick apart his analysis but the graphics are pretty so I lending him instant credibilty :)

Who the heck codes in BASIC anymore??? In any form???
CONCLUSION ON BARREL FLUTING....

When comparing two barrels of equal weight, length, and material but one is solid and other is fluted, the fluted barrel will have:

A larger diameter

Greater stiffness (depending on how the extra diameter/weight is distributed)

Vibrate at a higher frequency (depending on how the extra diameter/ weight is distributed)

Less muzzle sag (depending on how the extra diameter/ weight is distributed)

Fluting a solid barrel will:

Reduce its weight

Reduce its stiffness

Increase its natural frequency of vibration

Decrease its muzzle sag.

Reducing the weight of a barrel by fluting makes a stiffer barrel than reducing the weight by decreasing its diameter.

A shorter barrel of the same section, solid or fluted, will sag less and vibrate at a higher frequency.

:popcorn:

·
Registered
6,313 Posts
Re: Just so you could chew on this for a while......

tj2000 said:
AeroShooter said:
Here is a nifty discussion on fluted vs. straight barrels:

http://www.varmintal.com/aflut.htm

I haven't had time to pick apart his analysis but the graphics are pretty so I lending him instant credibilty :)

Who the heck codes in BASIC anymore??? In any form???
CONCLUSION ON BARREL FLUTING....

When comparing two barrels of equal weight, length, and material but one is solid and other is fluted, the fluted barrel will have:

A larger diameter

Greater stiffness (depending on how the extra diameter/weight is distributed)

Vibrate at a higher frequency (depending on how the extra diameter/ weight is distributed)

Less muzzle sag (depending on how the extra diameter/ weight is distributed)

Fluting a solid barrel will:

Reduce its weight

Reduce its stiffness

Decrease its muzzle sag.

Reducing the weight of a barrel by fluting makes a stiffer barrel than reducing the weight by decreasing its diameter.

A shorter barrel of the same section, solid or fluted, will sag less and vibrate at a higher frequency.

:popcorn:

Actually, this one depends... prior to this statement, you mentioned decreasing both the mass and the stiffness... natural frequency is a function of both:

freq = square_root (stiffness / mass);

how the freq changes depends on how mass & stiffness change in relation to each other...

actually, both of these actions reduce the stiffness of the barrel

1 - 15 of 15 Posts