Floyd County Sheriff's Race

Discussion in 'GA Laws and Politics' started by moe mensale, May 2, 2020.

1. moe mensale

moe mensale Well-Known Member

There are three Republican candidates running for Floyd County Sheriff to replace Sheriff Tim Burkhalter who is retiring at the end of this year. No Democrats are running. The three candidates are Tom Caldwell, Ronnie Kilgo and Dave Roberson. Caldwell is the former Chief Deputy who was fired by Burkhalter for “conduct unbecoming.” Kilgo is/was a reserve deputy. Roberson is a Sheriff’s Office major on leave of absence during the campaign.

On April 21, I sent all three candidates an email through their websites asking their position on the 2nd Amendment in general and open and concealed carry.

Within 10 minutes I heard back from Roberson with an acceptable response to my question.

Kilgo and Caldwell have yet to respond to the original email or to the two additional follow-up emails.

I don’t know anything about Kilgo except what I’ve read about him. His lack of response to my question lost my vote for him.

Caldwell was one of the defendants in GCO’s lawsuit against Wings Over North Georgia air show regarding carrying firearms at the air show. There’s a thread about it in the “Places Off Limits” forum. Caldwell’s attitude comes across as pretentious and snotty, especially if someone questions him about anything. He also reminds me of former FBI agent Peter Strzok (looks and attitude) who was disgraced and fired over the 2016 election Russiagate garbage. Based on this as well as his non-response to my question, I’ll not be voting for him either.

Dave Roberson will be getting my vote for Floyd County Sheriff and I'd ask anyone else up here to also consider him for your vote.

Last edited: May 3, 2020
  2. moe mensale

Roberson ended up with 48% (7,154 votes) of the vote against Caldwell's 34% (5,099 votes) and Kilgo's 18% (2,606 votes) setting up Roberson and Caldwell in the August runoff.

Current Sheriff Burkhalter endorsed Roberson up front and Kilgo endorsed Roberson right after the primary. My neighbor is a guard at the county jail and I get the impression that Caldwell isn't well liked by the majority of the agency folks. Hopefully this carries through in August.

3. moe mensale

Congratulations to new Floyd County Sheriff Dave Roberson! :applause:

Caldwell can go suck some blow pops.