Florida's Government Built A Train - And It Didn't Go Well

Discussion in 'Off-topic Political' started by xls177, Mar 27, 2017.

1. xls177

xls177 Member

2. moe mensale

moe mensale Well-Known Member

No different than CA's high speed rail project boondoggle. What the "experts" in both cases neglected to account for is the American public's intrinsic dislike for public transportation. We are a nation of individual mobility, not communal mobility, thanks to President Eisenhower's support of the Federal-Aid Highway Act of 1956.

3. Clark

Clark Well-Known Member

No different than all those roads, how much money have they made again?

4. jsaund22

jsaund22 Ninjaneering Computers

Very much different than all those roads.

Roads provide a tangible economic advantage, in that basically all consumer commerce uses roads at some point between raw materials and retail sale.

Pointless, expensive, unwanted (by a huge majority) passenger rail systems - not so much. Just a place for governments to pour money that they shouldn't have seized from the taxpayers in the first place.

5. Clark

Clark Well-Known Member

Wrong on so many levels. The rail system is another part of our transportation system that provides a tangible economic advantage. To use Atlanta's own MARTA, how would you like an extra 125,000 vehicles on the road every day? That's how many people ride just the trains every day here. Sunrail is still a starter system, the upcoming phase 2 expansion to Deland and Kissimmee will help immensely, the phase 3 expansion to the airport will help even more, and the upcoming Brightline service in a few years, will increase the network effect with connections to Sunrail. I'm sure people just like you looked down on the first stretch of interstate highway just as you're looking down on rail service.
    Let me guess, you're one of those "taxation is theft" folks who have been thoroughly trounced here already and just throw pointless ideology around for the sake of arguing?

6. xls177

xls177 Member

No one wants to ride the choo choo
    Proving how worthless it is.

No one would ride marta if they had to actual pay for it.
    Every person who rides marta makes 3 others have to go to work by car to pay for it.

7. jsaund22

jsaund22 Ninjaneering Computers

Almost right. Freight rail provides great economic benefit. Passenger rail? Let's take the pinnacle of government-owned rail, Amtrak. The taxpayers will be subsidizing Amtrak to the tune of $7 billion between 2016 and 2020. If passenger rail is so great, it should be able to support its own operation. I've ridden Amtrak, and it is a great way to travel - as long as you don't have to be somewhere at any specific time, don't mind a rough ride the whole time, don't mind sitting in the middle of nowhere because the train broke down, and don't mind it taking twice as long as it would take to make the trip by car. (And those are exact experiences that happened to me on a trip from Savannah to Miami by Amtrak. But on the plus side, we had great legroom...)

I doubt you'd even notice an extra 125,000 vehicles in the morass that is Atlanta traffic. Is Marta even profitable? I have no idea, but I have my suspicions.

I suspect these rail lines will be met with the same lack of enthusiasm as most other public rail lines. And there is a very good reason: Once you take the train somewhere, you still have to have a means to get around. And most of our cities in the US do not have a great public transportation infrastructure. On top of that, most Americans would rather just drive distances of less than 200-300 miles than bother with having to get a rental car or get schepped around in taxis or Ubers for the duration of their vacation.

Now you're confusing me with the Anarchists - it's their ideas that have been thoroughly trounced. Taxation to support the legitimate basic functions of government is not theft. Excessive taxation to support complete boondoggles like the Atlanta railcar might as well be theft. The money is getting taken from the taxpayers and they are seeing absolutely no benefit.

8. moe mensale

moe mensale Well-Known Member

jsaund22 gave a pretty good explanation of the difference between passenger rail and freight rail. That's the major problem.

You do know that SunRail was supposed to be a feeder system to bring happy smiling faces to The Mouse? The Mouse was heavily involved in getting this off the ground, at taxpayer expense.