Florida School Board Shooting--Attempted Suicide by Cop

Discussion in 'In the News' started by mountainpass, Dec 14, 2010.

1. mountainpass

mountainpass Under Scrutiny

He is dead at his own hand according to reports.
    Video at first link watch it first Link 1

Then watch http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0A8o0s2zsi4

Another Source of Info

Edited to include text and fix links

2. mountainpass

link

3. smn

smn Active Member

I bet there were several laws on the books to keep this sort of thing happening. So... let's wait to hear about the next round of laws... or do we permit the lawful carry of guns by responsible adults (and not just resource officers)?

I'm glad everyone was ok, it's just this could've ended very differently had the law allowed one (or more) of the school board) to carry a weapon with them. At one time a female board member attempted to use her purse to knock the weapon from Duke's hand, but he pushed her aside. If she had a weapon she could've dropped him easily.

4. Malum Prohibitum

Malum Prohibitum Moderator Staff Member

Anybody have the full video?

Florida outlaws weapons at meetings, so all the guy can say is don't please don't please . . .

5. mountainpass

link

6. EJR914

EJR914 Cheezburger Operator

I'm so glad that no innocent person was shot here. I have no idea how that one man was not hit with the first shot. It looks to me, the 2nd shot wasn't even aimed, though. This guy was clearly insane. I don't really understand how you can even do such a thing. He had to be insane.

As you can see, there was a cop or security with a gun right there, and the man still got two shots off, and could have gotten more off. The only way this man could have protected himself, was if he has a firearm himself.

Amazingly enough I saw this man on Fox and Friends this morning. He said nothing about getting a firearm and carrying it, even after he was almost killed. He said they were going to send a bunch of emails to students, and just try to move on and get over this. The good thing is that he didn't say anything anti-gun, about taking guns away from everyone. I doubt those emails are going to do any good. Its time to arm yourself for your own self-defense, especially from those who are mentally ill and will gun a get whether you ban them or not.

Edit: I forgot that Florida Law would have not permitted any licensed carrier to be carrying in this meeting, anyway. So much for the laws keeping us safe. More on the illusion (delusion) of safety. Laws that permit the carrying of firearms do not help the law-abiding, it just makes it easier for the criminals to kill people.

7. Malum Prohibitum

Reality -

Guys claiming he was shooting blanks
    woman hitting him with the purse

It is like everybody in the room cannot figure out what is real.

8. mountainpass

The longest one I have found is the youtube link in my first post.

Edit: Also watch the video in my very first link, it shows it from a different angle, plus the lady hitting him with her purse.....wow.

9. mountainpass

10. Malum Prohibitum

Your You Tube had what I was looking for, thanks. So there was an armed school security guard? Why did he wait until the guy had discharged several rounds before taking him out?

11. EJR914

Some people are claiming that this is the most video that the news media will or has released at this point. I'm sure the full video will get out, somehow. It will probably just take a little time. I, too, would like to see the entire full video to see what happened.

12. EJR914

That's a good question, and I have no idea. Is it possible the security guy didn't know the man had the gun, until he fired, or is it just the fact that he had called LEO, and didn't want to start shooting, thinking it might start a shootout, where many other bystanders could be hit?

Either way, it just goes to show you that your best defense is to have a firearm on your person, and not to wait for a LEO or armed security guard to take action to save your life.

13. Malum Prohibitum

Assuming he was there the whole time (he is off camera), his delay would have cost several people their lives had this guy been determined or a better shot.

14. mountainpass

Be sure to watch the video at the first link all the way...it will freeze the video but the audio will play(several gunshots) then the video will start back(look at the board members faces(also the head one still believes it was a cap gun and that the security guy killed him).

15. EJR914

Right. My first impression was that the security guard may have been outside the room, and came in shooting, once he heard the two shots from the gunman. Now I don't know. If the security guard was just sitting there, waiting for the guy to open fire, his inaction surely almost caused the death of quite a few people. If he was in the room the whole time, I don't know what he was thinking, waiting to take the shot once the gunman opened fire.

I still don't know how the gunman missed on the first shot. It looked like a miracle the main speaker was not hit. The second shot was into the floor, though. I'm not sure he was determined to kill all the people there. Maybe just the main speaker. That was the shot he actually aimed.

16. EJR914

hey, here is the video, more from the beginning when the gunman walks in with his gun and spray paints the V for Vendetta symbol on the wall. It also shows the women hitting him with the purse, trying to disarm him. That women has guts!

This version is 6 minutes and 11 seconds long.

Watch it here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yx4AqMSu ... re=related

17. mountainpass

I believe he aims the gun at him and then moves it to the right---right before he fires. The second shot was an ND.

18. kwikrnu

kwikrnu Banned

Because there is no requirement for cops or security to protect or defend.

19. Collin

Collin New Member

Wow, what a miracle that the shooter missed!

20. mygunstoo

mygunstoo Active Member

It does not seem he was shooting blanks. What ever he was shooting left a mark on the floor when he shot the second shot few feet in front of him.