Georgia Firearm Forums - Georgia Packing banner

1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Under Scrutiny
19,384 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
He is dead at his own hand according to reports.
Video at first link watch it first Link 1

Starting a little after 2 p.m., a 56-year-old man, identified as Clay Duke, addressed the school board briefly, talking about his wife being fired, before using a can of red spray paint to paint a large "V" with a circle around it on the wall of the building. Duke then pulled out a small caliber, semi-automatic handgun, and released the women and children from the room, taking the others hostage.
Weeks ago on his Facebook page, Duke had posted a sort of manifesto that foreshadows the shooting. Here is what the gunman had to say:

"My Testament: Some people (the government sponsored media) will say I was evil, a monster (V)… no… I was just born poor in a country where the Wealthy manipulate, use, abuse, and economically enslave 95% of the population. Rich Republicans, Rich Democrats… same-same… rich… they take turns fleecing us… our few dollars… pyramiding the wealth for themselves. The 95%… the us, in US of A, are the neo slaves of the Global South. Our Masters, the Wealthy, do, as they like to us…"
Then watch

Another Source of Info

Officials close to the investigation have confirmed to the News Herald that the gunman was Clay Duke. He was driving a white Mitsubishi. His wife had been fired by the school system.

He was shot by former School Board member and district security chief Mike Jones who was not in the meeting but was alerted to the presence of a gunman. However, police now say that the killing shot came from Duke's own gun.
Edited to include text and fix links

·
Under Scrutiny
19,384 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
link
Clay Duke has quite a history. This video shows him in court over 10 years ago authorities allege he made threats and even shot out the back tires in a woman’s car. He was released in 2004.

·
Registered
4,117 Posts
I bet there were several laws on the books to keep this sort of thing happening. So... let's wait to hear about the next round of laws... or do we permit the lawful carry of guns by responsible adults (and not just resource officers)?

I'm glad everyone was ok, it's just this could've ended very differently had the law allowed one (or more) of the school board) to carry a weapon with them. At one time a female board member attempted to use her purse to knock the weapon from Duke's hand, but he pushed her aside. If she had a weapon she could've dropped him easily.

·
68,533 Posts
Anybody have the full video?

Florida outlaws weapons at meetings, so all the guy can say is don't please don't please . . .

·
Under Scrutiny
19,384 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
link
Littleton had a big purse that her mother-in-law had given her. It was heavy, she said, but it was not enough. She struck Duke, but he knocked her to the ground.

“You stupid bitch,†he said.

“Quite frankly, at that point, in the back of my mind, I thought, ‘You know, you’re probably right,’ †Littleton said later.

Then, Duke pointed his gun “directly at my brain,†Littleton said. “And he didn’t choose to do that to me. … I’m sure when I wake up tomorrow I’ll be a sadder but a wiser person.â€

Eventually, Littleton left the room uninjured.
Littleton later said she was trying to stop what she felt was the inevitable conclusion.

“It could have been a real bloodbath,†she said. “Talk about fish in a barrel. There was no place for those guys to go. There was just no way they could have gone anywhere if he had decided to take them out at that point.â€

She said the gun seemed as big as a cannon, but she felt she could not leave the other board members behind.
Bollinger said Tuesday that Duke was waiting in the woods for his wife with a rifle, wearing a mask and a bulletproof vest. She confronted him and then tried to leave in a vehicle, and Duke shot the tires of the vehicle.

“The guy was like, just out there,†Bollinger said. “He had some bad problems.â€

In January 2009, Duke wrote a letter to Circuit Judge Dedee Costello, stating he had come before her in 1999 and 2000, “as a mentally ill man who had committed crimes. … While in prison I was diagnosed as ‘adult-onset bipolar condition’ and given proper therapy. With that therapy and good behavior, I was releasd from prison after serving 85 percent of my sentence.â€

·
Seasteading Aficionado
44,896 Posts
I'm so glad that no innocent person was shot here. I have no idea how that one man was not hit with the first shot. It looks to me, the 2nd shot wasn't even aimed, though. This guy was clearly insane. I don't really understand how you can even do such a thing. He had to be insane.

As you can see, there was a cop or security with a gun right there, and the man still got two shots off, and could have gotten more off. The only way this man could have protected himself, was if he has a firearm himself.

Amazingly enough I saw this man on Fox and Friends this morning. He said nothing about getting a firearm and carrying it, even after he was almost killed. He said they were going to send a bunch of emails to students, and just try to move on and get over this. The good thing is that he didn't say anything anti-gun, about taking guns away from everyone. I doubt those emails are going to do any good. Its time to arm yourself for your own self-defense, especially from those who are mentally ill and will gun a get whether you ban them or not.

Edit: I forgot that Florida Law would have not permitted any licensed carrier to be carrying in this meeting, anyway. So much for the laws keeping us safe. More on the illusion (delusion) of safety. Laws that permit the carrying of firearms do not help the law-abiding, it just makes it easier for the criminals to kill people.

·
68,533 Posts
Reality -

Guys claiming he was shooting blanks
woman hitting him with the purse

It is like everybody in the room cannot figure out what is real.

·
Under Scrutiny
19,384 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The longest one I have found is the youtube link in my first post.

Edit: Also watch the video in my very first link, it shows it from a different angle, plus the lady hitting him with her purse.....wow.

·
Under Scrutiny
19,384 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
from the link in my last post said:
In January 2000, Duke was 44 when he pleaded no contest to charges of aggravated stalking, shooting into an occupied vehicle and wearing a mask and bulletproof vest while committing an offense. Circuit Judge Dedee Costello adjudicated him guilty of the charges and sentenced him to five years in prison.

After six months of stalking a former girlfriend, Duke confronted the woman outside her home on Oct. 20, 1999. He was wearing the mask and vest and holding two .22 caliber guns. He threatened to kill her, then kill several others and then himself. When the woman tried to drive away, Duke shot out a rear tire.

As a condition of the plea agreement, Duke had to forfeit all the firearms seized upon his arrest. He was ordered to serve 10 years probation after his release from prison.

·
68,533 Posts
Your You Tube had what I was looking for, thanks. So there was an armed school security guard? Why did he wait until the guy had discharged several rounds before taking him out?

·
Seasteading Aficionado
44,896 Posts
mountainpass said:
The longest one I have found is the youtube link in my first post.

Edit: Also watch the video in my very first link, it shows it from a different angle, plus the lady hitting him with her purse.....wow.
Some people are claiming that this is the most video that the news media will or has released at this point. I'm sure the full video will get out, somehow. It will probably just take a little time. I, too, would like to see the entire full video to see what happened.

·
Seasteading Aficionado
44,896 Posts
Malum Prohibitum said:
Your You Tube had what I was looking for, thanks. So there was an armed school security guard? Why did he wait until the guy had discharged several rounds before taking him out?
That's a good question, and I have no idea. Is it possible the security guy didn't know the man had the gun, until he fired, or is it just the fact that he had called LEO, and didn't want to start shooting, thinking it might start a shootout, where many other bystanders could be hit?

Either way, it just goes to show you that your best defense is to have a firearm on your person, and not to wait for a LEO or armed security guard to take action to save your life.

·
68,533 Posts
EJR914 said:
Malum Prohibitum said:
That's a good question, and I have no idea. Is it possible the security guy didn't know the man had the gun, until he fired, or is it just the fact that he had called LEO, and didn't want to start shooting, thinking it might start a shootout, where many other bystanders could be hit?

Either way, it just goes to show you that your best defense is to have a firearm on your person, and not to wait for a LEO or armed security guard to take action to save your life.
Assuming he was there the whole time (he is off camera), his delay would have cost several people their lives had this guy been determined or a better shot.

·
Under Scrutiny
19,384 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Be sure to watch the video at the first link all the way...it will freeze the video but the audio will play(several gunshots) then the video will start back(look at the board members faces(also the head one still believes it was a cap gun and that the security guy killed him).

·
Seasteading Aficionado
44,896 Posts
Malum Prohibitum said:
Assuming he was there the whole time (he is off camera), his delay would have cost several people their lives had this guy been determined or a better shot.
Right. My first impression was that the security guard may have been outside the room, and came in shooting, once he heard the two shots from the gunman. Now I don't know. If the security guard was just sitting there, waiting for the guy to open fire, his inaction surely almost caused the death of quite a few people. If he was in the room the whole time, I don't know what he was thinking, waiting to take the shot once the gunman opened fire.

I still don't know how the gunman missed on the first shot. It looked like a miracle the main speaker was not hit. The second shot was into the floor, though. I'm not sure he was determined to kill all the people there. Maybe just the main speaker. That was the shot he actually aimed.

·
Seasteading Aficionado
44,896 Posts
hey, here is the video, more from the beginning when the gunman walks in with his gun and spray paints the V for Vendetta symbol on the wall. It also shows the women hitting him with the purse, trying to disarm him. That women has guts!

This version is 6 minutes and 11 seconds long.

Watch it here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yx4AqMSu ... re=related

·
Under Scrutiny
19,384 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
EJR914 said:
I still don't know how the gunman missed on the first shot. It looked like a miracle the main speaker was not hit. The second shot was into the floor, though.
I believe he aims the gun at him and then moves it to the right---right before he fires. The second shot was an ND.

·
Banned
1,639 Posts
Malum Prohibitum said:
So there was an armed school security guard? Why did he wait until the guy had discharged several rounds before taking him out?
Because there is no requirement for cops or security to protect or defend.

·
Registered
2,227 Posts
It does not seem he was shooting blanks. What ever he was shooting left a mark on the floor when he shot the second shot few feet in front of him.

1 - 20 of 56 Posts