florida non resident permit

Discussion in 'Firearm Related' started by patrick4588, Sep 22, 2010.

1. patrick4588

patrick4588 New Member

My mom just moved to ohio and I plan to visit her frequently over the next few years while they are stationed there. Since ohio honors floridas permit, I need to get one. Anyone been through the process? Approximate cost and any other info appreciated. Thanks

2. rmodel65

rmodel65 Yukon Cornelius

need training and to pay the fee...

3. CoolHand

CoolHand Active Member

If you go to one of the gun shows at the old Jacksonville Fairgrounds you can take the class there at a discounted rate. The have 1 or 2 classes every single time. The show is a lot bigger and better than any I've been to in GA except for the one at the North Atlanta Trade Center or what ever they're calling it now in Norcross.

4. Adam5

Adam5 Atlanta Overwatch

I am not familiar with OH carry laws, but make sure that they are not like SC. SC will honor a license if you are a resident of the issueing state.

5. The Math Teacher

The Math Teacher New Member

According to USA Carry it should work.
    :righton:

6. TimBob

TimBob Old, Slow, Boring Dude

7. mathar1

mathar1 New Member

ANY training proof will do for FL. An NRA basic pistol class is acceptable...some people have used a standard Hunters Safety Course. There is no need to drive all the way to FL to meet the training requirement.

You live in Valdosta right? Look up Rankhorn on here and get him to give you a class he is LOCAL and an NRA instructor.

8. patrick4588

patrick4588 New Member

no need to look him up, we get lunch every now and then :righton:

9. Vern

Vern New Member

$117 total. Took almost 6 months back in '08. Now they have an faster program where you go to one of their offices and they take your picture, prints and send you the license in under two weeks.

10. patrick4588

patrick4588 New Member

Make apt or walk in? Cash or money order?

11. patrick4588

patrick4588 New Member

Make apt or walk in? Cash or money order?

12. higabyte

higabyte New Member

I just mailed off my Florida application last Wed. It cost me A LOT more than GA however.

For Florida:

Application: $75
    Fingerprint processing fee: $45 (had hard prints done locally and mailed them in, they wouldn't take GA LiveScan.
    Passport Style Photo: $15

Total: $135

I mailed in a copy of my Military ID as my "training course".

During the process, I got concerned about whether they were going to issue me an in state or out of state license since I'm currently stationed in GA (FL is my home of record). I gave them a call to ask about the in state vice out of state saying an out of state license would do me no good since the only reason I'm doing it is to cover me in SC and they only honor in state licenses. I was told that there is absolutely no difference between a resident license and a non resident license except for with the non resident licenses, you are required to submit your fingerprints again with your renewal application. In other words, theres nothing on the license that segregates a non resident license from a resident license, they are identical. The contact information for the gentleman that gave me this information is:

Ken Wilkinson
    Management Analyst
    Post Office Box 6687
    Tallahassee, Florida 32314-6687
    TELEPHONE: 850-245-5500
    FAX: 850-245-5505

Their website is: http://licgweb.doacs.state.fl.us/weapons/index.html Which includes the application I downloaded and printed off. You can also request a fingerprint card be mailed to you and you can take that to your local law enforcement office to have them print you.

Hopefully this helps, I'm not exactly sure where you're located, so this is written assuming you're not in Florida. If you are in Florida, head to the local sheriffs office and have your fingerprints done via the LiveScan method and go to one of the regional offices for your app.

13. CountryGun

CountryGun New Member

I hope it comes to you as a resident license, as SC will not accept it, if it says non-resident.

14. higabyte

higabyte New Member

I specifically asked that Don and he said that either way it wouldn't matter that they couldn't tell since the resident and non resident licenses are identical and I'd have my Florida drivers license making it a "resident" license. I submitted a copy of my LES showing Florida is my home of record and used my Florida address as my "residence address". So according to him, it should be submitted as a resident license. We'll see, I'm gonna call and complain if it comes in as a non resident license though, not that it would do any good...

15. patrick4588

patrick4588 New Member

the resident and non resident license looks identical, only difference is your address will be out of state. but since you put in your florida address, it will be legit for SC carry. ianal.

16. rmodel65

rmodel65 Yukon Cornelius

i thought they stopped putting addresses on them??

17. higabyte

higabyte New Member

they did.

18. kwikrnu

kwikrnu Banned

The Florida permit is pretty quick. It only took me a month to get mine, even though my Tennessee handgun permit is permanently suspended. :screwy: The thing I liked about the Florida permit is I just sent in a copy of my DD-214 and I didn't have to take a firearms class. It lasts 7 years which is pretty nice.

19. rmodel65

rmodel65 Yukon Cornelius

a hunters education class also works ;)