1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Member Georgia Carry
11,937 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
NRA Instructor
3,391 Posts
First IMHO the carjacker got what he deserved.

Second also IMHO a person should have the right to defend their property and their life.

Third once again IMHO it's just too bad the laws no longer see it that way.

It's just too bad I will not be on the jury in this case should it go to trial.

·
Registered
3,405 Posts
She was just giving him the bullets he forgot to steal.

·
Señor Member
1,472 Posts
First IMHO the carjacker got what he deserved.

Second also IMHO a person should have the right to defend their property and their life.

Third once again IMHO it's just too bad the laws no longer see it that way.

It's just too bad I will not be on the jury in this case should it go to trial.
Agreed, across the board.

·
Member Georgia Carry
11,937 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
I guarantee you, if a perp pointed a gun at a police officer and got in a car and drove away, he would get shot, and it would be ruled justified.

Not saying I'd do the same thing. On the other hand, you don't know if the perp will drive back and kill you with his gun or run you over to get rid of any witnesses.

I'd like to think a jury, if it goes that far, will rule "not guilty" on all counts.

·
Lawyer and Gun Activist
28,613 Posts
In Georgia, you can't shoot to stop a fleeing felon who is trying to leave the scene of a completed crime-- even if he's got stolen goods with him.

But you CAN shoot to "stop" a forcible felony (like carjacking, or any sort of robbery that involves a face-to-face confrontation) IN PROGRESS.

So, even though the robbery/ carjacking was a "completed crime" with respect of all the "elements of the offense" having been already met, was it, nonetheless, a crime in progress that could be "stopped" as long as the bad guys were still on the scene and still driving the stolen car they just took?

I'd like to think so.

·
Registered
10,809 Posts
Well, if we're talking what was "legal" for her to do, it is hard to tell from the limited information in the article, but it sounds like the carjacking was complete and she (nor anyone else from what was stated) was in risk of serious bodily injury, so her weapon of choice should have been her cell phone, not a firearm. The shooting sounds like it was more out of anger/revenge then self-defense. Now, if we're talking about what should be legal vs. what actually is legal, some people may view it differently. Personally, I don't believe this carjacker would have been driving away if it was me that was in her place. There would be no question that the carjacking was in-progress at the time of enacting self-defense.

·
Under Scrutiny
19,386 Posts

Look at ages, crimes. One was on probation.

·
Under Scrutiny
19,386 Posts
http://wfla.com/2017/10/18/deceased...lls-gun-store-burglary-other-crimes-in-pasco/

Police said 18-year-old, Lasupta Singletary was shot and killed after he and Jernalen Coleman carjacked Louise Ornduff and her son on Belcher Rd.
Singletary was recently released from custody in Pasco County after police said he burglarized Sunshine State Armorny Gun Store in Zephyrhills in April.
Surveillance video captured the moment a truck crashed through the front glass of the store.
Investigators said Singletary and two others, smashed the casings and stole guns.
In March, deputies say Singletary and another suspect broke into a warehouse in Zephyrhills and stole two dirt bikes.
Singletary posted bail for a $100,000 bond in September.
Mike DeHainaut lives in the apartments next door, where Monday night's shooting occurred.
He said it was only a matter of time.
"I don't think somebody necessarily like that should be out on the street," he said.
DeHainaut said he also carries a weapon for protection.
"I live in this neighborhood and I carry a gun. I've got a gun on me right now," he said.
News Channel 8 asked the State Attorney's Office how Singletary was able to get out and whether he was being monitored.

·
Seasteading Aficionado
44,911 Posts
I think appropriate punishment has been delivered.

Carjackers should be treated like horse thieves once were.
Yep, we hanged horse thieves, no peeps about it

·
I watch the watchers
12,886 Posts
I think appropriate punishment has been delivered.

Carjackers should be treated like horse thieves once were.
You're advocating vigilante justice, Wegahe?

·
Man of Myth and Legend
15,408 Posts
Bending sidetrack back on course. Should any charges be brought against the woman who shot and killed the criminal kid?

Nemo

1 - 20 of 22 Posts