Florida CWP Training Requirements

Discussion in 'General GWL Questions' started by rabbivj, Oct 24, 2010.

1. rabbivj

rabbivj My Name is Inigo Montoya

I recently moved a couple of months ago from Michigan where I had a CPL. As I have moved down here my CPL is no longer valid. However since MI does require training, which I did a year ago today. Since my training was done in MI and i now live in GA, can I use that training to validate for a Florida CWP? My apologies if i posted this in the wrong forum. If so please move it.

2. budder

budder Moderator Staff Member

It should be fine. I don't think FL has a time limit on when you received the training. You do realize you'll need a GWL to carry in GA, right?

3. rabbivj

yeah i know...ive already applied. Been waiting a month so far...The reason why i ask abt the fl cwp is because since Ohio doesnt honour GAs permit but they honour both fl and ut, and ive already had the training done i might as well apply for the fl one.

4. GlockOn

GlockOn New Member

Check out Florida Statute 790.06 and see if your training meets any of the standards listed.

http://www.flsenate.gov/Statutes/index. ... TM&Title=->2008->Ch0790->Section%2006#0790.06

5. yxhpxfw

yxhpxfw New Member

I suggest the Utah permit, it is honored by more states than any other license.

6. rabbivj

last i counted it was 34 - 32 FL...

7. XDMWarrior

XDMWarrior New Member

1. Completion of any hunter education or hunter safety course approved by the Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission or a similar agency of another state;

So does our GA Hunter Safety Course meet the requirements for the FL training requirement?

8. rabbivj

id say yes...

on a side note im prolly going to be submitting my app on friday...

9. XDMWarrior

XDMWarrior New Member

Hey Rabbi, what is involved in applying for the FL license? I do have the hunter safety and qualify based on military as well. I go to FL frequently. I just hate that you cannot OC down there, or at least that is my understanding. I hate taking a 380 in my pocket, but that is better than nothing. A new XDM compact is in my near future.

10. fmlaw1

fmlaw1 Active Member

My opinion: yes it does. YMMV.

11. cliffhanger

cliffhanger Active Member

Do you have a GA license? If so, it's good in FL as we have reciprocity. No need to get a non-resident FL license just to go to FL. Now if you want it to pick up the other states, then go for it!

Cliffhanger

12. XDMWarrior

XDMWarrior New Member

It was the other states I was interested in Cliffhanger. Thanks. Mainly wanting to pick up SC.

13. cpelliott

cpelliott New Member

A Florida license adds a good number of states to your Georgia license, but South Carolina isn't one of them. SC does not have reciprocity for non-resident licenses, so if you don't live in Florida and have a Florida drivers license it's a no go.

14. XDMWarrior

XDMWarrior New Member

OH, ok, thanks. I guess I just won't go over there. There loss not mine. I do love Charleston though.

15. rabbivj

Florida will take a Hunters Safety course and a DD-214 as evidence of training.

16. rmodel65

rmodel65 Yukon Cornelius

it looks like it does..i intend on applying for mine..i got the packet in and i just need to get my passport photos done...

also it looks like GA hunter card will satisfy VA's requirement might pick that one up as well and a PA permit....which by the way if anyone wants you better get soon cause after the first of the year you will have to apply in person!!!

17. rabbivj

i just sent mine off today before i got into work. Generally what has been the usual turnaround? I used my Michigan CPL Course certificate as my training requirement.

18. fmlaw1

fmlaw1 Active Member

Don't know what other states you are considering picking-up, but PA will get you carry in VA, IIRC.

19. rmodel65

rmodel65 Yukon Cornelius

yeah i think it does...although id just OC there more than likely...

20. rabbivj

so it looks like FL is on the ball...I checked a couple of hours ago my status via the voice response system...its been mailed off! so i should have it by saturday latest...geez talk about like the quickness!