Georgia Firearm Forums - Georgia Packing banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
My Name is Inigo Montoya
4,025 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently moved a couple of months ago from Michigan where I had a CPL. As I have moved down here my CPL is no longer valid. However since MI does require training, which I did a year ago today. Since my training was done in MI and i now live in GA, can I use that training to validate for a Florida CWP? My apologies if i posted this in the wrong forum. If so please move it.

·
My Name is Inigo Montoya
4,025 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
yeah i know...ive already applied. Been waiting a month so far...The reason why i ask abt the fl cwp is because since Ohio doesnt honour GAs permit but they honour both fl and ut, and ive already had the training done i might as well apply for the fl one.

·
Registered
17 Posts
rabbivj said:
Since my training was done in MI and i now live in GA, can I use that training to validate for a Florida CWP?
Check out Florida Statute 790.06 and see if your training meets any of the standards listed.

http://www.flsenate.gov/Statutes/index. ... TM&Title=->2008->Ch0790->Section%2006#0790.06

(h) Demonstrates competence with a firearm by any one of the following:

1. Completion of any hunter education or hunter safety course approved by the Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission or a similar agency of another state;

2. Completion of any National Rifle Association firearms safety or training course;

3. Completion of any firearms safety or training course or class available to the general public offered by a law enforcement, junior college, college, or private or public institution or organization or firearms training school, utilizing instructors certified by the National Rifle Association, Criminal Justice Standards and Training Commission, or the Department of Agriculture and Consumer Services;

4. Completion of any law enforcement firearms safety or training course or class offered for security guards, investigators, special deputies, or any division or subdivision of law enforcement or security enforcement;

5. Presents evidence of equivalent experience with a firearm through participation in organized shooting competition or military service;

6. Is licensed or has been licensed to carry a firearm in this state or a county or municipality of this state, unless such license has been revoked for cause; or

7. Completion of any firearms training or safety course or class conducted by a state-certified or National Rifle Association certified firearms instructor;

A photocopy of a certificate of completion of any of the courses or classes; or an affidavit from the instructor, school, club, organization, or group that conducted or taught said course or class attesting to the completion of the course or class by the applicant; or a copy of any document which shows completion of the course or class or evidences participation in firearms competition shall constitute evidence of qualification under this paragraph; any person who conducts a course pursuant to subparagraph 2., subparagraph 3., or subparagraph 7., or who, as an instructor, attests to the completion of such courses, must maintain records certifying that he or she observed the student safely handle and discharge the firearm;

·
Registered
314 Posts
I suggest the Utah permit, it is honored by more states than any other license.

·
My Name is Inigo Montoya
4,025 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
yxhpxfw said:
I suggest the Utah permit, it is honored by more states than any other license.
last i counted it was 34 - 32 FL...

·
Registered
264 Posts
1. Completion of any hunter education or hunter safety course approved by the Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission or a similar agency of another state;

So does our GA Hunter Safety Course meet the requirements for the FL training requirement?

·
My Name is Inigo Montoya
4,025 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
XDMWarrior said:

So does our GA Hunter Safety Course meet the requirements for the FL training requirement?
id say yes...

on a side note im prolly going to be submitting my app on friday...

·
Registered
264 Posts
rabbivj said:
XDMWarrior said:

id say yes...

on a side note im prolly going to be submitting my app on friday...
Hey Rabbi, what is involved in applying for the FL license? I do have the hunter safety and qualify based on military as well. I go to FL frequently. I just hate that you cannot OC down there, or at least that is my understanding. I hate taking a 380 in my pocket, but that is better than nothing. A new XDM compact is in my near future.

·
Registered
3,721 Posts
XDMWarrior said:
My opinion: yes it does. YMMV.

·
Registered
1,021 Posts
XDMWarrior said:
Hey Rabbi, what is involved in applying for the FL license? I do have the hunter safety and qualify based on military as well. I go to FL frequently. I just hate that you cannot OC down there, or at least that is my understanding. I hate taking a 380 in my pocket, but that is better than nothing. A new XDM compact is in my near future.
Do you have a GA license? If so, it's good in FL as we have reciprocity. No need to get a non-resident FL license just to go to FL. Now if you want it to pick up the other states, then go for it!

Cliffhanger

·
Registered
264 Posts
cliffhanger said:
XDMWarrior said:
Do you have a GA license? If so, it's good in FL as we have reciprocity. No need to get a non-resident FL license just to go to FL. Now if you want it to pick up the other states, then go for it!

Cliffhanger
It was the other states I was interested in Cliffhanger. Thanks. Mainly wanting to pick up SC.

·
Registered
670 Posts
XDMWarrior said:
It was the other states I was interested in Cliffhanger. Thanks. Mainly wanting to pick up SC.
A Florida license adds a good number of states to your Georgia license, but South Carolina isn't one of them. SC does not have reciprocity for non-resident licenses, so if you don't live in Florida and have a Florida drivers license it's a no go.

·
Registered
264 Posts
cpelliott said:
XDMWarrior said:
A Florida license adds a good number of states to your Georgia license, but South Carolina isn't one of them. SC does not have reciprocity for non-resident licenses, so if you don't live in Florida and have a Florida drivers license it's a no go.
OH, ok, thanks. I guess I just won't go over there. There loss not mine. I do love Charleston though.

·
My Name is Inigo Montoya
4,025 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
XDMWarrior said:
cliffhanger said:
XDMWarrior said:

Cliffhanger
Florida will take a Hunters Safety course and a DD-214 as evidence of training.

·
Yukon Cornelius
11,729 Posts
fmlaw1 said:
XDMWarrior said:
My opinion: yes it does. YMMV.
it looks like it does..i intend on applying for mine..i got the packet in and i just need to get my passport photos done...

also it looks like GA hunter card will satisfy VA's requirement might pick that one up as well and a PA permit....which by the way if anyone wants you better get soon cause after the first of the year you will have to apply in person!!!

·
My Name is Inigo Montoya
4,025 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
i just sent mine off today before i got into work. Generally what has been the usual turnaround? I used my Michigan CPL Course certificate as my training requirement.

·
Registered
3,721 Posts
rmodel65 said:
also it looks like GA hunter card will satisfy VA's requirement might pick that one up as well and a PA permit....which by the way if anyone wants you better get soon cause after the first of the year you will have to apply in person!!!
Don't know what other states you are considering picking-up, but PA will get you carry in VA, IIRC.

·
Yukon Cornelius
11,729 Posts
fmlaw1 said:
rmodel65 said:
Don't know what other states you are considering picking-up, but PA will get you carry in VA, IIRC.
yeah i think it does...although id just OC there more than likely...

·
My Name is Inigo Montoya
4,025 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
so it looks like FL is on the ball...I checked a couple of hours ago my status via the voice response system...its been mailed off! so i should have it by saturday latest...geez talk about like the quickness!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts