Florida Cops Get Missile Launcher in 'Kicks for Guns' Exchan

Discussion in 'In the News' started by zookeper, Aug 18, 2007.

1. zookeper

zookeper Active Member

ORLANDO, Fla. — Police were hoping for a good turnout at their "Kicks for Guns" sneaker exchange Friday, but they weren't expecting to get a surface-to-air missile launcher

.An Ocoee man showed up and exchanged the 4-foot-long launcher for size-3 Reebok sneakers for his daughter, the Orlando Sentinel reported.

Taking advantage of the exchange's no-questions-asked policy, the man was not identified. He told the Orlando Sentinel that he found the weapon in a shed he tore down last week.

"I didn't know what to do with it, so I brought it here," he told the newspaper. "I took it to three dumps to try to get rid of it and they told me to get lost."

Besides the missile launcher police collected more than 250 guns. They were all exchanged for sneakers or $50 gift certificates.

2. ptsmith24

ptsmith24 New Member

:shock: I wonder if it was functional? The "no questions asked" thing seems like it would give criminals an extra incentive to steal.

3. legacy38

legacy38 Active Member

I wish I could find a missile launcher in one of my sheds.

4. ptsmith24

ptsmith24 New Member

Have you tried looking? :wink:

5. AeroShooter

AeroShooter New Member

Re: Florida Cops Get Missile Launcher in 'Kicks for Guns' Ex

I'm calling BS on the S-A comment. It is most likely a LAW launcher, de-mil'ed and available at any local gunshow.

6. foshizzle

foshizzle New Member

Surface to air missle my :censored:

I agree it's probably a law tube. I had one when I was a kid. I used to run around the neighborhood blowing up cars with that thing. If I were 8 years old today I would probably be sent to Gitmo :cry:

7. foshizzle

foshizzle New Member

Well, it wasn't a law tube. There is a picture here.

I think it's a TOW missile tube. Just as dangerous as a law tube if that's what it is.

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/orl-bk-m ... ool_xpromo

:cry: :cry: :x :cry:

8. CoolHand

CoolHand Active Member

It's a crime that some idiot turned in that M1a to be scrapped for a pair of sneakers. :?

9. ptsmith24

ptsmith24 New Member

Very true. Maybe we can find the schedule/location of these things and tell them they can get more money by selling them on here. 8) Or we can offer a pair of sneakers plus $50.

10. Thorsen

Thorsen New Member

Looks like a TOW tube and also looks like one that hasn't been fired.

11. ptsmith24

ptsmith24 New Member

Jesse Jackson? Can't you blow stuff out of the sky with other things too?

Is it wrong to have a interest in collecting SBRs?

You obviously aren't securing your weapons properly or don't have proper self-defense tools if people are always stealing guns from you.

Oh noes!

Quoted again..shame on you.

12. M249

M249 New Member

That is a TOW tube. It's not a launcher, which providers more damning evidence that a) the press is stupid and b) OPD is a media whore.

The person who turned in M1A's is proof that you can't fix stupid.

ETA: That tow tube looks like the BFV training tube, not a real live TOW.

13. legacy38

legacy38 Active Member

Yup. I found a box for a nice shotgun in one of my grandmother's sheds, but alas, no gun was in it. My uncle has the gun. :roll: :cry:

14. gunsmoker

gunsmoker Lawyer and Gun Activist

missle

What a shame. I really, really, really needed a shoulder-fired surface-to-air missle launcher today at the trap and skeet range ! Sometimes my shotgun and I just aren't up to the job.

15. foshizzle

foshizzle New Member

Re: missle

The way I shot today what I really needed was a small tactical nuke.

16. AeroShooter

AeroShooter New Member

17. M249

M249 New Member

Well, it's sorta a packing tube. TOW missiles fire from that tube like an AT-4 or a LAW. So, yeah, it's a packing tube, but all you have to do is slide the whole tube in a launcher to use it.