Georgiapacking.org banner

1 - 20 of 92 Posts

·
68,118 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
http://campaign.r20.constantcontact...ec60a&ch=c47329a0-cf03-11e3-9124-d4ae528ec60a

That court ruled that a carry license was not a right, but a privilege, which could be revoked by the State at any time. Since open carry is generally illegal, and carrying concealed with a license is a privilege, then there is no RIGHT to bear arms in Florida.
In the other crucial case, Bretherick v. State, prosecutors are claiming that you are not immune from legal attack until you prove it. The details of the case are compelling that Jared Bretherick's actions were in defense of himself and his family, but extraneous to the main question before the FL Supreme Court... - "In a self-defense immunity hearing, is the burden of proof on the defendant to prove he acted in self-defense or the State to prove that he did not?"

·
68,118 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
A St. Lucie County Judge denied all constitutional arguments to dismiss the case against Dale Norman. While the court made findings that the statute is overbroad and is facially vague, the court still issued a conviction on a “as applied†standard.

The County Court judge also did not fully consider the Second Amendment or the Right to Bear Arms under the Florida Constitution; denying those motions to dismiss the case because the question of the right to bear arms "is for someone above the level of this court."
:neutral:

·
Registered
505 Posts
Maybe I misunderstand what that judge means, so any help is appreciated. But what does "for someone above the level of this court" mean?

It sounds like the judge is purposely not looking at certain aspects so that he/she can avoid issuing a ruling they may not personally agree with.

·
Premium Member
8,460 Posts
Correct, the judge should have ruled on the motions presented. Instead it seems the court just said go and appeal this, I don't want to deal with it.

·
Registered
505 Posts
Correct, the judge should have ruled on the motions presented. Instead it seems the court just said go and appeal this, I don't want to deal with it.
Thank you. That's how I thought it was supposed to work. Each court issues a ruling, whether positive or negative on each motion, then the parties go through appeals if they aren't satisfied. How do you appeal a lack of a decision?

·
Member Georgia Carry
11,694 Posts
CCW license holders in Florida should protest by printing big time while concealing, and by wearing t-shirts, buttons, and hats that state they are lawfully armed.

And doing a lot of fishing, as well as going or coming back from fishing, while open carrying.

·
Seasteading Aficionado
44,887 Posts
CCW license holders in Florida should protest by printing big time while concealing, and by wearing t-shirts, buttons, and hats that state they are lawfully armed.

And doing a lot of fishing, as well as going or coming back from fishing, while open carrying.
Then they would probably make all that illegal and strictly enforced, well besides the t-shirt and buttons, but they'd make your life as hard as they could. Probably make it CC Only while fishing as well. Florida isn't as pro-gun as Georgia for instance, they have a ton of Democrat Yankee transplants in that State. Makes it more politically moderate than Georgia.

·
Member Georgia Carry
11,694 Posts
That would be a risk, but the greater the anti's push back, the stronger the freedom lovers become.

I know when I visit Florida, I won't try to stuff my full-sized pistol inside my waistband. It'll be a t-shirt thrown over a comfortable OWB Serpa. :)

Then they would probably make all that illegal and strictly enforced, well besides the t-shirt and buttons, but they'd make your life as hard as they could. Probably make it CC Only while fishing as well. Florida isn't as pro-gun as Georgia for instance, they have a ton of Democrat Yankee transplants in that State. Makes it more politically moderate than Georgia.

·
Registered
2,189 Posts
Here are the closing arguments, state did a poor job. She seem unprepared and couldn't articulately answer the judges questions, I have high hopes.

·
Registered
1,854 Posts

·
68,118 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Qualifier: the state may require concealed carry and prohibit entirely carrying openly.

·
68,118 Posts
Discussion Starter #20 (Edited)
1 - 20 of 92 Posts