Georgia Firearm Forums - Georgia Packing banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
391 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
http://www.reuters.com/article/politics ... 5220070405

Florida is one of just three U.S. states, all in the Deep South, that have maintained long-standing constitutional barriers to restoring civil rights to those that have committed serious crimes, rights groups say.

In addition to voting, the rights include sitting on a jury, owning guns, holding public office and applying for some professional trade licenses.
I thought that not allowing ex-felons to own guns was a Federal thing. Am I wrong, or is the journalist?

·
Registered
754 Posts
I think only felons convicted of a violent crime should be the ones bared of owning a firearm. ( i can see some drug realated charges multiple offenses etc...) I know this one guy who got busted with some marijuana back in the 70's (he says 5lbs) but they dropped it to a lower amount but he still got a felony but some how has something written from the judge on his record that he has his GFL....

·
Registered
3,588 Posts
Reporters

Reporters can't get anything right.

Yes it is a Federal issue.
However states control the process of state issued pardons.

Most if not all states have a process for restoration of some or all civil rights.

Anyone can apply for a Presidential pardon that would restore his/her gun rights.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts