FLEO Position Statement

Discussion in 'Off-topic' started by Malum Prohibitum, Jul 18, 2007.

1. kkennett

kkennett New Member

I'd be interested to hear their position on civilian CCW laws and the national reciprocity bill.

2. Tinkerhell

Tinkerhell Active Member

Bet we could give you their position on letting the "dirty masses" carry their firearms across statelines.
    I noticed more than a few references to the "highly trained professionals" in that summary.... :evil:

3. Macktee

Macktee New Member

Like the guy who shot himself in the foot?

Personally, I think retired LEOs should be allowed to CCW anyplace active duty LEOs are so allowed and believe the two bills mentioned should pass.

I'm less concerned about these guys getting their feelings hurt than I am about baring that many trained and experienced individuals from the CCW ranks.

Actually, I'm pretty much in favor of anything that puts more guns on the streets as long as said guns are in the hands of responsible people.

Yeah. Like the guy who shot himself in the foot... :D

4. budder

budder Moderator Staff Member

That doesn't make sense, first you say responsible, then you say professional? Which do you want to have? I'm all for responsible gun owners. Professional ones scare me too much.

5. GAGunOwner

GAGunOwner Active Member

The link provided says:

I have never heard of this. I'd be very interested if this is actually possible. I think this is an error though. Are they talking about non-res. licenses for LEOs or everyone?

6. GAGunOwner

GAGunOwner Active Member

This is a tricky position for me. I want more guns on the street by legal people but why should a retired LEO get special rights to carry a gun?

After all they are no longer LEOs and they don't really have a duty to anyone or anything. They are just regular citizens and they don't even have arrest powers anymore.

Under the current law, if they are honorably retired and they go and qualify once a year, they can carry just like a current cop in any state/territory of the U.S.

As a side note I have a family member who is a retired LEO and it is great having him go with you on family vacations to not so gun friendly places/places without reciprocity. He can carry his gun so we aren't totally disarmed even if I'm not the one carrying if that makes sense.

7. budder

GAGunOwner, lots of states have non-res CHLs...

Because he might run into someone that wasn't too happy about being arrested and sent to jail. Even then, I still think the rights of non-LEOs are wayyyyy too restricted.

8. Macktee

Macktee New Member

Yeah, I agree with budder. Ex-cops, even those who quit before they retire, should be allowed to carry. Probably all of them have pissed off someone during their careers and shouldn't be unarmed should they ever meet one of those people after an ex-pissed off person has had enough to drink to turn mean.

LEOs are highly trained. Professional enough to shoot themselves in the foot and all that... It just seems wasteful to me not to allow trained people to carry.

9. GAGunOwner

GAGunOwner Active Member

I know. I actually have two non-res. licenses as we speak. I just have never heard of Alabama issuing them.

10. foshizzle

foshizzle New Member

I thought we were all equal under the law?

Or is it just some laws?

11. GAGunOwner

GAGunOwner Active Member

While this argument at first glace has some validity. Aren't there other professions/situations where people piss off others?

Judges
    Jailers
    Drill Instructors
    Attorneys
    Politicians
    Former Cops who didn't retire.
    Code Inspectors
    Umpires/refs
    Doctors who refuse to write certain perscriptions.
    Security guards.
    Non-LEO dudes that write parking tickets downtown.
    Fathers who don't like who their daughters date.
    Victims of violent crimes.
    Bosses in the private sector who have to fire people.
    Teachers who have to fail people.
    Etc. etc. etc.

Why are these people's needs less than a retired LEOs?

The way I see it is this. I have no problem with current LEOs being able to carry anywhere because that is there job, and they have a duty to do it. Once they aren't LEOs anymore, they are just regular everyday citizens in my mind, I can't justify it any other way. If they are having problems with people that they've pissed of because of their career. They should face what all other citizens face: follow the law like everyone else and be disarmed at times or carry illegally. Maybe they could lobby and get the carry laws better for everyone?

12. foshizzle

foshizzle New Member

You forgot people who serve on juries.

13. GAGunOwner

GAGunOwner Active Member

That's a good one.

There are many many more though if you start thinking about it.

14. budder

Your argument makes a lot of sense and I also don't like the fact that they get special treatment, but it's not a bad thing. It's a first step on the way back to Constitutionality. Also, the people on that list have pissed people off, but fewer are likely to have been violent criminals/felons. Not to say that those are the most dangerous people, but the cops are the ones that will have dealt with a consistently worse class of people. As far as judges/attorneys are concerned, they /are/ LE. They just don't qualify for some strange reason.

15. GAGunOwner

GAGunOwner Active Member

I really don't think arming cops and retired cops will ever lead to average Joe's having more rights.

In many ways it actually harms the "cause."

Firstly, it creates a privleged gov't class that deserves more "rights" than regular non-gov't people.

Secondly, it takes away a large group of people with considerable clout out of the lobbiying process for better gun laws. Once they can carry everywhere with little restriction the laws for everybody else become a mute point for most of them.

Imagine if the only way that LEOs could carry out of state or retired LEOs could carry at all was like everyone else. They'd be pushing to get the laws better but now...

16. budder

I understand what you're saying, but since this is all conjecture, I'll believe the one that's more optimistic (read: unrealistic).

17. foshizzle

foshizzle New Member

There is no reason for national reciprocity for LEO's and CCW. Like carrying a weapon in New York is necessary if you're a cop in Hawaii. I'm sure all your enemies just surfed over there to kill you :roll: It's really nothing but an entitlement... which I hate. Don't get me wrong, I would carry a gun everywhere if I had super-citizen status, but it's just another example of how they alienate the law abiding while the crooks just do the same things they always do.

There are 3 Atl cops in federal prison right now who essentially executed a 89 year old woman, that until a few months ago, could carry into any preschool if they so desired.

18. GAGunOwner

GAGunOwner Active Member

You can too if you have a GFL in Georgia. Private preschools are not off-limits to GFL holders.

19. foshizzle

foshizzle New Member

OK. ELEMENTARY school. How about a little league game? You see the point, I hope.