Flashlight

Discussion in 'Off-topic' started by a_springfield, Oct 19, 2010.

1. a_springfield

a_springfield Well-Known Member

I am looking for a good light.
    The requirements are either AA, C, D (work will buy those) or rechargeable (needs to have decent run time and/or charge fast)
    very bright
    fit in a pocket
    not to expensive looking at around 60-80 but can go higher.
    What fits this list?

2. gsusnake

gsusnake Token Liberal Hippie

3. a_springfield

work will not buy those batteries and I use it to much to buy them.

4. gsusnake

gsusnake Token Liberal Hippie

Sorry... forgot it was 123 batteries only. :oops:

5. whitmo

whitmo New Member

I just picked up a 4sevens light that seems to be well made. You can get it with cr123a or AA batteries.
    I got the Quark 1232 Tactical. It came with a lanyard, batteries, rubber hand strap, and holster.
    Falls within your price range too.

http://www.4sevens.com/index.php?cPath=297

I like my Surefire also, but the 4sevens has several modes (moonlight, low, med, high, strobe, s.o.s.).

6. vr6glidriver

vr6glidriver New Member

7. SongDogSniper

SongDogSniper New Member

I use a Streamlight Strion C4 LED as my primary belt flashlight. It is small, bright, rechargeable, has three different power levels and a strobe mode with a tailcap switch. Streamlight service has always been tops for me. I have a small pocket traffic cone for it as well.

As a secondary backup flashlight (I work morning watch patrol, so a working flashlight is critical) I carry the Streamlight Scorpion C4 LED. It is almost as bright as the Strion, not quite as high tech, but is the same size as the Strion with a tailcap switch. It uses disposable CR123A batteries and fits in the same duty belt leather holster as the Strion. And the same pocket traffic cone fits it too.

For searches or extended traffic duty such as accident scenes, I have the Streamlight SL-20XP and a large traffic cone. It is a large rechargeable workhorse, has both three-LED and incandescent bulbs in it. Very good flashlight, very bright. What more can I say?

Hope this helps.

8. mountainpass

mountainpass Under Scrutiny

Great AA Light.
    I'm still very happy with mine. Someone posted that a kit can be bought to convert the tail to a clicky, but I haven't pursued that.

9. RepeatDefender

RepeatDefender New Member

Fenix LD10
    -70+ lumens
    -runs on one AA batt
    -light and durable (I ran over mine with my car, after I had accidentally dropped it...)

10. BG_Atl

BG_Atl Active Member

I'm partial to the INOVA line of flashlights

http://flashlightsunlimited.com/products.htm#INOVA Products
    and I prefer batteries to rechargeable since you can change the batteries on the fly...
    but recharging... when every second counts... is just a couple of hours of downtime.

btw - you can often find several of the INOVA's at Target

11. dam294

dam294 Active Member

12. martin_j001

martin_j001 Active Member

Big fan of these folks. I have their Quark 123^2 as well, been very happy with it. They're local to us as well, located in Tucker, GA. This played a role in my decision in a new light recently, as I was able to arrange a visit with them to check out their offerings in-house, and buy directly from them. They also carry Fenix and a couple other brands.

ETA: their Preon Revo (single AAA) keychain light is the first keychain light I've actually been impressed by. Offering 5 modes (low, med, high (82 lumens), SOS, strobe) in a very small, very light, damn good looking package. Had no intention of buying one of these, but couldn't walk away from it. They're currently offering a stainless special edition with a different bulb/LED that is even brighter.

13. Puffyfish

Puffyfish New Member

Buy the rechargeable kind. I did. The Fenix is a better deal and just as good.

14. mrblah

mrblah New Member

the rechargeable are much brighter, they put out higher voltage

all are basically a branded metal tube, and a led pill from cree or one of the few other big name led manufactures, I like ultrafire, fennix, and aurora, basically they all come from china, and it's cheapest to order direct from a site like dealextreme, 700 lumin flashlights for 20 $

I just got a couple of these and they work great around the house, and will run on regular AA's but not as bright

http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.28544

15. Priest

Priest New Member

I was about to post a link to dealextreme.... you beat me to it.

Also, Walmart has been carrying the Coleman MAX series lights for a bit now. My current EDC light is a Coleman MAX 3AAA that puts out about 115 lumen white (and it is real white, not blue), has red and blue settings as well. Battery life is great and it is a good combo of flood and throw for what I use it for and it is the perfect pocket carry size for me. My current truck light is also a Coleman max in a bigger body carrying 6AA. It is more throw than the little one and is very bright though slightly blue in tint.

I'm about to be building some much brighter torches from some piece parts, still deciding on a lot of the details though.

16. a_springfield

do I have to click the switch several times with multiple power setting lights? (low, med, high)

17. martin_j001

martin_j001 Active Member

Depends on the light. In the case of the 4sevens lights, they have the "regular" models that yes, you do click multiple times to go through the settings:
    Mode 1 (head tightened all the way): high -> high strobe
    Mode 2 (head loosened ~1/6 turn): lantern -> low -> med -> high -> SOS -> beacon

They offer "tactical" models too that you can literally program--so you get to choose what you get out of mode 1 and mode 2 (the two different head positions).

18. 45_Fan

45_Fan Well-Known Member

I'm a fan of the EagleTac T20C2 MKII.
    http://www.eagletac.com/flashlights/t20c2.html (price shop that MSRP though)
    I ponied up the cash for a pair of 18650 batteries and charger. For the on and off use it gets, I think I remember to change the battery between once a month and once a quarter.

I haven't looked since 1Q 2010 to see if there are any newer options out there for less or with brighter output and longer run times.

19. AMD

AMD Member

I've had my Coast LED Lenser P7 for about a year now and I can't praise it enough. It takes 4 - AAA's and will do either a narrow beam or a light up an entire area around you. Here's the link: http://www.ledlenserusa.com/product_inf ... elNum=8407 . I believe it costs around $65. It has 3 modes and a push button on the rear of the light. It's virtually indestructible, I've dropped it more times than I can count. It's 200 lumens on high and about 90 or so on low.