Georgia Firearm Forums - Georgia Packing banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm taking the think, shoot and move class and will be needing a flashlight. The instructor has graciously offered to lend me one for the class, but I've been thinking I want/need one anyway for home/IDPA, etc. His recommendation was for a Surefire G2. Anybody else have this one? Any other I should look at?

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,560 Posts
There's nothing wrong with the Surefire lights. I have a 6PL on my night stand that I use for those bump in the night occasions. However, if this is a light you plan to carry and use frequently I would prefer something a little smaller that runs on more common batteries.

I really like the Fenix LD10. It's a single AA battery light that is even brighter than the Surefire 6P or G2. It also has a pocket clip which makes carrying it easy.

https://www.fenix-store.com/product_inf ... ts_id=2236

·
Old, Slow, Boring Dude
2,498 Posts
I have a HiLight R10. It's cheap, and extremely bright. It only has one mode, however. And it uses those expensive 123 batteries.

http://www.shootarget.com/index.php?mai ... ex&cPath=4

If you are looking for something ultra cheap, our local Tractor Supply has small LED flashlights on sale for 1.99. They even come with 3 AAA batteries! I bought a handfull of them the other day... But I don't see them on the Tractor Supply webpage.

·
Registered
541 Posts
Go to a paintball or airsoft supply store and get a knockoff LED
light. It will satisfy all your needs and not break the bank.
This will give you a "feel" for a weapons light.

NC Star 35 Lumen LED $21.00

If you actually LIKE using one then step up to a high-performance tac-light.
Good luck finding a holster for the damn thing. I only use mine in my nightstand.

Why spend 150.00+ on a tac-light if you don't need to. Use one 1st.
Just my

·
Registered
4,048 Posts
I EDC a Fenix LD10, but I took the class with a Surefire G2 LED. Either one will serve you well. However the Surefire clicky tailcap (and the pressure required for activation) is much more user-friendly than the LD10.

·
Registered
1,367 Posts
For a class you will definitely want a light with a tail cap momentary on/off capability. Surfires are good lights and they have great customer service. I have a 6P LED as my bedside light and have a G2 LED in my vehicle. For weekend carry I have an E1Backup which is a great small light. Unfortunately it is a bit large for weekdays at the office so I carry a Fenix LD01. It is reasonably bright for its VERY small size, runs on a single AAA battery for quite a while. But it uses a twist motion to activate it. That in my mind makes it inappropriate for a tac light. I have another Fexnix (TK10 I think) mounted to my Mossberg 930spx and it is a great tac light and probably the best deal if you want a setup with a remote switch as Fenix sells there remote for about $19. Don't worry about the CR123 batteries, they last a decent amount of time and if you buy them 12 at a time they are not too expensive. I think I paid $20 for my last box of 12, that was about 2 years ago and I still have 6 or so left and I have several lights that use them. Everybody should have at least 2 really good lights, one med sized that you keep on your nightstand, vehicle, etc. and one smaller Surefire E1B sized that you always have with you. I use my flashlights all of the time and I don't feel I have wasted money on any of them. These are no your $2 cheap LED flashlights or mini-maglights. In fact I think all of these will outshine a 3D cell maglight.

·
Registered
7,738 Posts
Lots of good and cheap stuff at http://www.dealextreme.com. Takes about 4 weeks to arrive.
I try not to visit the site more than once a month because I always buy something.

Happy with the light I put on the end of my Mossy 500, they had the light and mounting kit. Many choices.

Some of the new flashlights have an optional middle section allowing for more or different choices in batteries. The LED devices have a regulator circuit board so that multiple batt choices work.

---
oh yea, I second the recommendation for fenix-store as well. Fast delivery

·
Registered
1,120 Posts
If it doesn't have to be mounted on the weapon, I can personally recommend a plain old walmart flashlight made by Coleman. It's the maxbright model, puts out 110 lumens, good mid range focus and under $30.

·
Registered
2,868 Posts
Love my Streamlights, use them every night. Not just bright, but rugged and I've been very happy with Streamlight's support.
- Strion LED, rechargeable
- Scorpion disposable CR123
- SL20XP LED and Incandescent, rechargeable
- TLR-1s weapon light, disposable CR123

·
Registered
7,738 Posts
Just curious, several people have mentioned manufacturer support
what kind of support does a flashlight need ?

·
Registered
2,868 Posts
New2Atlanta said:
Just curious, several people have mentioned manufacturer support
what kind of support does a flashlight need ?
I had one where the tailcap switch developed intermittent problems. Another where I needed a new bezel due to an altercation. Both were taken care of immediately by Streamlight, had the required parts in my hands within two days.

My SL20XP never sat right in the car charger and sometimes lost contact when I drove over rough roads. I called them about it and they sent me an updated cradle that cured the issue.

I carry the Scorpion as a backup for my primary belt light, the Strion. Never had to use the Scorpion in that mode, except for when I boneheadedly forgot to charge the Strion.

·
Registered
1,182 Posts
http://www.solarforce-usa.com/main.sc My first lasted till 4 weeks ago and was lost. I had it for 5 years it was 200 lumen these are 300 and freakin bright! 5 modes with memory and under $50. Tough as nails, dropped mine many times up to 100ft up, no damage.
Strobe is blinding!
Uses 6p Surefire accessories.
As a person who works in the dark and has for 25 years I know a good light when I see one. My life and the lives of my crew depend on quality equipment as we often work at great height in total darkness. Screw up and you won't be going home, next stop is the funeral home.
I'm also an LED lighting expert, I use, install and maintain them on a daily basis. The idea of paying $125+. for a surefire is insane. You're paying for the name and getting older less bright LED's often with only one function. Duh...
You can have a Mini-Mag that emits 140 lumens vs 60 for cheap. http://www.batteryjunction.com/tle-5k2.html
A clickey tailcap to make it tactical via a TerraLUX tailcap for cheap. http://www.batteryjunction.com/tcs-1.html

·
Registered
859 Posts
jklotz said:
I'm taking the think, shoot and move class and will be needing a flashlight. The instructor has graciously offered to lend me one for the class, but I've been thinking I want/need one anyway for home/IDPA, etc. His recommendation was for a Surefire G2. Anybody else have this one? Any other I should look at?

Thanks!
Since the instructor is loaning you one for the class I'd suggest use that one and take the class, see what other hardware people are using and then after the class make a decision. See what works well and what doesn't then go from there.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts