Georgia Firearm Forums - Georgia Packing banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

· Registered
794 Posts
When I had a Tesla Model S I was always kind of relieved to have a detached garage.

I'm looking at the Lucid Air, which is kind of like an actually quality-controlled Tesla with superior fit and finish.

That said, it's obvious to me that expended batteries are going to be a huge environmental issue in 40-50 years. Battery technology needs serious evolution.

DH

· Super Moderator
74,285 Posts
When I had a Tesla Model S I was always kind of relieved to have a detached garage.

I'm looking at the Lucid Air, which is kind of like an actually quality-controlled Tesla with superior fit and finish.

That said, it's obvious to me that expended batteries are going to be a huge environmental issue in 40-50 years. Battery technology needs serious evolution.

DH
Can you actually buy one right now? Or just reserve one?

· Registered
794 Posts
Can you actually buy one right now? Or just reserve one?
Apparently they're shipping, though you have to reserve one to get in the queue. They're available to test-drive, but the closest sales outfit is in Miami.

When they open an Atlanta studio (that's what they call it) I'll have a look.

(I'm not really the "reserve" or "early adopter" type...)

DH

· Professional Troll
2,333 Posts

· Registered
1,558 Posts
I swear, some people act as if internal combustion engine cars never catch fire. In the grand scheme of things, EV fires occur less, WAY LESS, than ICE fires.

Study: Electric Vehicles Involved in Fewest Car Fires
Because there are way less electric vehicles and they're used way less, and in substantially less harsh conditions than ICE vehicles. Further, it's not so much the occurrence, but the fact that these fires are much more severe due to the Lithium metal.

· Registered
794 Posts
I swear, some people act as if internal combustion engine cars never catch fire. In the grand scheme of things, EV fires occur less, WAY LESS, than ICE fires.

Study: Electric Vehicles Involved in Fewest Car Fires
The difference is that I'm not gassing my car up in my garage.

The unique (albeit very rare) hazard with EVs have been cases of fire while the car is not running, but is being charged.

DH

· Registered
10,276 Posts
Because there are way less electric vehicles and they're used way less, and in substantially less harsh conditions than ICE vehicles. Further, it's not so much the occurrence, but the fact that these fires are much more severe due to the Lithium metal.
It’s fine if you want to show you didn’t read the article, we’ll still point out your ignorance.
EVs see 25 fires per 100k vehicles vs 1530 fires per 100k for typical combustion. That’s 61.2x more likely for a car fire to occur with a gas tank than a battery.

As to your opinion on lithium fire danger…have I got a few things to tell you about gasoline! You know the risk when you smoke while plugging in an EV? Or use a cell phone? Or gather static sliding out of the seat? Nevermind that every gas pump in the nation has warnings about that but no, let’s throw a metal fire boogeyman. Show me the physics where an EV can have a BLEVE like a gas vehicle cooking off a fuel tank and you’ll make a more interesting point than EVs are dangerous because they can burn like a contained road flare…

· Super Moderator
74,285 Posts

· Registered
9,326 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Leno's fire was not even in a gasoline internal combustion engine car. Cars, even steam, are dangerous.

· Registered
9,326 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Kinda strange to use gasoline to make a fire to boil water for steam. Kero would have been much safer.

· Man of Myth and Legend
19,662 Posts
Gas as in natural gas / propane fired maybe?

Nemo

· Atlanta Overwatch
14,294 Posts
Gas, as in gasoline.

“Jay tells TMZ from his hospital bed ... he was working on his 1907 White Steam Car in his famed garage this past Saturday, fixing a clogged fuel line. He says there was a fuel leak and gasoline sprayed on his face and hands. Almost simultaneously a spark triggered an explosion, setting the comedian on fire.”

· Registered
1,558 Posts
It’s fine if you want to show you didn’t read the article, we’ll still point out your ignorance.
EVs see 25 fires per 100k vehicles vs 1530 fires per 100k for typical combustion. That’s 61.2x more likely for a car fire to occur with a gas tank than a battery.
It's fine if you want to show you didn't read my post, we'll still point out your ignorance. They use a flawed metric in fires per purchase. Show me fires per miles driven. The fact is electrics just aren't driven, and thus subject to potentially hazardous conditions, and running energy through the batteries, the way ICE cars are.
As to your opinion on lithium fire danger…have I got a few things to tell you about gasoline! You know the risk when you smoke while plugging in an EV? Or use a cell phone? Or gather static sliding out of the seat? Nevermind that every gas pump in the nation has warnings about that but no, let’s throw a metal fire boogeyman. Show me the physics where an EV can have a BLEVE like a gas vehicle cooking off a fuel tank and you’ll make a more interesting point than EVs are dangerous because they can burn like a contained road flare…
Gasoline is easy to extinguish in comparison to lithium. It's not so much that it's easy to start, as when it does start, it's dang near impossible to put out. Gasoline sitting in a tank, even a damaged one, will just sit there. But a damaged battery can ignite in a heartbeat, and there's no warning. Yes, that even applies to the batteries we stick in our pockets and carry around with us. Fortunately those aren't subject to nearly the same conditions EV batteries are.

· Registered
794 Posts
1530 fires per 100000 is just not a believable number. Do you really think that 1.5% of all ice cars catch on fire? That would be a couple million car fires per year.
You have good instincts: this is not actually NTSB data, but data from an insurance company's marketing copy which somehow made it into a news story (and then proliferated.) It appears to be off by a factor of 60.

A game of Chinese whispers, basically. Oops.

DH

· Atlanta Overwatch
14,294 Posts
Meh. I get weekly notifications of all recalls issues by the NHTSA. Most people would be shocked by how many there are, and how many state they pose a fire hazard and to park outside until there’s a repair.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts