FL: A way around no guns on campus

Discussion in 'National Laws, Bills and Politics' started by UtiPossidetis, Jun 22, 2017.

1. UtiPossidetis

UtiPossidetis American

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2017/06/2...o-county-if-youre-not-afraid-gun-get-one.html

Polk County’s Sheriff Judd is doing more than talking the talk. He is walking the walk. In Florida, it is illegal to carry a weapon on a school campus. But a few months ago, he launched a first-of-its-kind program. He is training staffers at Southeastern University to shoot. If an active shooter comes on campus, the staffers are automatically deputized, which means that they can do what they have been trained to do.

2. moe mensale

moe mensale Well-Known Member

Exactly. A wounded perp is still a threat to your life. While it may offend some people's sensibilities, it's not my responsibility to ensure the perp gets to go home after his shift ends.

3. moe mensale

Since an active shooter will be the exception rather than the rule, wouldn't those staffers be in violation of the "no guns policy" at all other times? The story doesn't provide an answer.

4. UtiPossidetis

UtiPossidetis American

Concealed means concealed.......

5. moe mensale

I understand that but that's not what the story says or implies. If staffers are CC without knowledge of the administration they're violating state law. The sheriff can't just override the statutes on his own no matter how good his intentions are. The article is lacking in substance.

6. UtiPossidetis

UtiPossidetis American

If they are deputies there is no violation of state law, hence no offense, and no prosecution. That is the substance of the article.

7. awanatech

awanatech Well-Known Member

In the article, the sheriff says that they will be automatically deputized if an active shooter is on campus. What about the rest of the time in between active shooters? If they are carrying in order to be prepared, but have not been deputized, wouldn't they be in violation of the law when there is not an active shooter on campus?

8. Malum Prohibitum

Malum Prohibitum Moderator Staff Member

Reeks of absolute monarchy. They are automatically deputies? Why? Because he has spoken, and so it is? I have spoken!

Laws do not work like that.

Maybe he could just announce that he believes the law against carry in school is unconstitutional and neither he nor those who work for him will enforce it.

9. GoDores

GoDores Like a Boss

Can an elected Sheriff not deputize anyone he or she chooses? It seems they can in Georgia per O.C.G.A. § 15-16-23.

That wouldn't protect someone from arrest by campus PD, local PD, or any other agency with jurisdiction over the school.

10. Nemo

Nemo Man of Myth and Legend

When the elected county Sheriff comes in as a defense witness and testifies that they were acting under his authority as his deputy seems the prosecutors case would be in the handbasket.

Nemo

11. Phil1979

Phil1979 Member Georgia Carry

That's what I'm thinking, too. A lot of "law enforcement" and who gets prosecuted or not is often determined by political ramifications.

12. Malum Prohibitum

Malum Prohibitum Moderator Staff Member

Each deputy shall be required to execute a bond with a surety in the amount of $5,000.00 payable to the sheriff and conditioned upon the faithful accounting for all public and other funds or property coming into the deputy's custody, control, care, or possession.

13. ber950

ber950 Active Member

This used to be very common, but I don't know of any sheriffs doing it now. It was the way around GA's requirement for open carry and later for all those off limit locations. I was allowed to sign my own bond in 1981, but that Sheriff retired the next election and the next one didn't issue except to employees of local PD's.

14. moe mensale

This article indicates that the participants will be sworn officers. I have no idea what conditions a sworn FL officer must fulfill or whether Judd's actions may be illegal even though well intentioned.

https://bearingarms.com/jenn-j/2017...steps-launch-floridas-first-sentinel-program/

15. GoDores

GoDores Like a Boss

That's easy. What would that bond cost, $100/year? Maybe less if the Sheriff's office has a deal to cover their full-time employed deputies? I'd gladly pay that for a 16-11-130 exemption. I don't even know if the FL law has that requirement, and I'm not going to look.

The point was that whom the Sheriff deputizes appears to be entirely within the Sheriff's discretion, at least in GA, so if a Sheriff wants to deputize a bunch of professors, the law apparently does work that way.

16. GoDores

GoDores Like a Boss

:lol: I don't think anyone needs to be "given the authority" to stop an active shooter. Maybe the Sheriff meant he was giving them the means to do so.

It reminded me of the old Mitch Hedburg joke, with the punchline "if you're flammable, and you have legs, you are never blocking a fire exit." :lol:

17. Mrs_Esterhouse

Mrs_Esterhouse Swollen Member

More on Sheriff Judd.

[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iSyLcfH9qy0[/ame]

18. gunsmoker

gunsmoker Lawyer and Gun Activist

Here in Georgia, each school board has the authority to train PUBLIC school personnel and have them armed as ad-hoc security. The armed staff members must be trained with both classroom training and hands-on shooting qualification.

For PRIVATE schools in Georgia, the principal / headmaster / governing authority of that school can give written permission to anybody to carry (any adult with a GWL, that is). Teachers, parents, the janitor, the lunch lady. It just takes a written permission slip that names the person, identifies the gun(s) to be carried, and has an expiration date (could be good for a full year, maybe longer). That sounds simple enough, if the school wanted to have armed staff to enhance security.

19. Phil1979

Phil1979 Member Georgia Carry

Quite true, gunsmoker. If parents started insisting that their children are at least as valuable as money, which is protected by armed guards, the public schools might start listening and take advantage of HB 60 which allows for school teachers and admin to get approved firearms training to be armed at school.