Fishing - Firearm Friendly Lakes

Discussion in 'Off-topic' started by Phil1979, Sep 26, 2010.

1. Phil1979

Phil1979 Member Georgia Carry

Looking for good public non-COE lakes, or private lakes that don't forbid carrying of firearms.

2. gordon11

gordon11 New Member

If you don't mind getting out a ways, any of the State Park lakes would be good and they're DNR managed so the fish population is usually healthy.

3. GAGunOwner

GAGunOwner Active Member

Yeah, I'd like to go to an OC friendly lake for fishing too.

4. Hack Causality

Hack Causality New Member

Good to have a backup when your rod breaks. :shattered:
    [​IMG]

5. Phil1979

I got a dot-com company I'll trade even with ya for that little 1911. :)

6. Phil1979

Thanks Gordon, I'll google state park lakes. Don't know why I didn't think of that before. Duh! (lightly smacking the side of my skull).

7. mountainpass

mountainpass Under Scrutiny

8. Suburbbus

Suburbbus Well-Known Member

Be careful, some state parks like Tugaloo and Hart State Park are on COE leased land which makes them off limits.

9. gordon11

gordon11 New Member

Oh yeah, didn't think about those.

Given your Snellville location I'll be a little more specific... Hard Labor Creek (2 lakes), Fort Yargo, Charlie Elliott PFA - all good choices.

10. mountainpass

Link

11. Owl

Owl New Member

Charlie Elliot is a PFA(public fishing area) and firearms are not allowed by state law on PFA's last I knew. Someone correct me if I'm wrong on that, or if possibly 308 changed that. PFA's are not to be confused with WMA's, which in the case of Charlie Elliot are one in the same, practically - for fishing purposes anyway. I know they have a firing range there, but I don't believe that fact changes the laws regarding PFA's and whether or not you can carry there.

I fish Marben PFA( Charlie Elliot) every spring and would love to carry there, but last spring I did not because i thought it was a no-no due to PFA regs. Again, someone correct me if I'm wrong on that. I'd be happy to be wrong on this one! ;)

PS - I second the state park thing though....High Falls, Indian Springs and Hard Labor all have pretty good fishing.

12. mountainpass

Edit: Link

13. Owl

Owl New Member

Maybe this is what I was thinking of..." loaded firearms are prohibited in camping areas "

link: http://www.georgiawildlife.com/node/243

It seems to be last updates in 2009.

i'll keep looking. I could swear I saw somewhere that it was illegal for even licensed folks to carry on PFAs.

mountainpass, do you know if those PFA rules have always read that way, or if they have been updated or changed in the last few years? I would be tickled to find out I can carry when fishing Marben in the spring!

[edit]: A search of the WRD website regarding PFA's for the term " firearms prohibited" returns nothing but the campground prohibition I previously linked to. Now, if we can just get that changed! What is the decision to make the campgrounds off-limits based on? The fact that they allow alcohol in the campgrounds?

thanks Mountainpass!

14. gordon11

gordon11 New Member

Fortunately 308 fixed the PFA problem. :D

15. mountainpass

I sent an email:
    I'm following up on this, if someone knows something post it here.

16. GAGunOwner

GAGunOwner Active Member

Yeah, I don't think a PFA is one of these:

16-11-127
    https://www.georgiapacking.org/GaCode/?t ... ection=127

17. mountainpass

Well I never heard back from my reply, so I called DNR. I spoke with Major Stephen Adams. He was very helpful and said that I was correct. He sent me this Link while we talked.

Pull down to 391-4-2.10 and click then pull down to (22)
    Which clears up what Owl found above. I asked him if he could get that added to the DNR website, he said he'd do what he could to get it changed to reflect the law.

We talked for a while and he said he is all for licensed citizens. He said that his guys are taught that the mere presence of a firearm without something more is a non-event. I'm glad I made the call.

18. Owl

Owl New Member

Thank you MPass for checking this out. I appreciate you following up on it, even though apparently the first contact didn't bother to double-check for the correct answer before firing off a reply.

In my experience, the place you are most likely to need a loaded firearm for self-defense is in the campgrounds, usually at about midnight on a Saturday night.

thanks again! I hope all the LEO's that patrol the WMA's and PFA's are aware as well. One day we'll get them all straight and then we'll all have to talk about nothing but firearm and ammo specs. ( dream a little dream. :) )

19. mountainpass

Update:

The site has now been changed thanks to Major Adams:

http://www.georgiawildlife.com/node/243

20. Owl

Owl New Member