First Rifle

Discussion in 'Firearms' started by ber950, Jan 28, 2007.

1. ber950

ber950 Active Member

I bought one of those Davy Crickett rifles for my kid to learn with. I got it at Wally world yesterday.
    http://www.crickett.com

First impressions

1. It is really light doesn't weigh much more than her bb gun.
    2. Cocking piece is made of plastic. What can I expect for $100
    3. Front sight is made of plastic (see #2)
    4. Stock is predrilled for sling swivel studs(available online)
    5. The lock seems to be more in the way than helpful(paper work hints that it can be removed) It is really easy to engage when the bolt is open and if you forgot to bring the key....
    6. The finish is a deep blue not bad for a inexpensive rifle. I considered buying the stainless model but stainless guns can be a little tough to shoot on sunny days.
    7. I expected more sharp edges on a weapon in this price range. Overall fit and finish is not bad.
    8. Bore had a reddish tinge at the crown first thought was rust but after running a patch down the bore it appears it was packing grease(cosmoline)
    9. It really is a kids rifle not just a full size with a couple of inches cut off the stock.

All in all it seems okay for the money. I will let you know more after some range time.
    I am planning on trying cb longs in this rifle. If they are as quiet as in a full size .22 we will be able to shoot without muffs.

2. Adam5

Adam5 Atlanta Overwatch

Let us know how it shoots. One of the guys at my local range bought one for his 8yr old daughter for Christmas, and I'm thinking about getting one for my daughters 11th b-day in April. Her hands are too small for "adult" rifles and for the air pistol I got her. With her air pistol she has to use both index fingers to pul the trigger.

3. ber950

ber950 Active Member

Field

Got the chance to take it out yesterday and plink with it. No real problems. The factory zero was fine for plinking and training kids. This ain't a bench rest rifle.

Sometimes it won't pull a loaded case out of the chamber on the first try. I have seen this before on .22's no big deal. No problem with empty cases.

The plug screws for the scope mount are loose. No big deal I will tighten them when I get around to cleaning it.

The short (16")barrel is a little loud. I have not picked up a box of CB longs yet. They should help with the noise.

4. gunsmoker

gunsmoker Lawyer and Gun Activist

Ear protection

Use eye and ear protection anyway. I didn't, when shooting standard-velocity .22s from a rifle outdoors, but my hearing was ruined 20 years ago. I would not take any chances with a kid. At the very least, use one level of ear protection (muffs or plugs, whichever is more comfortable for the kid). For centerfire rifles or any type of handgun, or for any indoor shooting, use both. Plugs and muffs.

P.S. If ear muffs bump up against the stock of the rifle or shotgun, you can often fix this problem with special "low profile" ear muffs. I have a folding set that are very slim and good for long-gun shooting.

5. Malum Prohibitum

Malum Prohibitum Moderator Staff Member

Re: Ear protection

I absolutely agree with this post. Plus, it develops good habits early.

6. ber950

ber950 Active Member

I used eyes and ears. The short barrel was still louder than most .22's Not as loud as a pistol but still louder than most rifles.

7. Malum Prohibitum

Malum Prohibitum Moderator Staff Member

It is a really small rifle. At what age does a child start to become too large for a Davey Crickett?

8. supra89t

supra89t New Member

Re: Field

Try the Aguila Super Colibri 22lr. There is no powder in the case, only the primer. From a 22" barrel, it is literally quieter than my old Crosman Pumpmaster 760. I tried the CCI 22 CB Shorts, and those are way louder than the Aguila's. If you are just plinking and target shooting at anything less than 25 yds or so, the Aguila's work great. They probably work great out farther than that, but that's all the room I have. Big thanks to my wonderful wife for finding these for me! :righton: Cherokee Gun and Pawn has them for about $30/brick (500).

Here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ky-SPLXDaEU&feature=related

I have put about 100 rounds through my Sears model 25 rifle w/22" barrel (in my backyard) with no sticking in the barrel and no neighbors asking questions. Just have a cleaning rod handy, just in case.

9. ber950

ber950 Active Member

Its real short but I still shoot my daughters. I move the stock over a little more to the center of my chest. It probably starts getting a little short around 4' 10" but it should be comfortable up to at least 5' 2"

They also sell an adult sized replacement stock.