Georgia Firearm Forums - Georgia Packing banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
1,153 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First, a little backstory. Friday night, I went up to the mountains to camp with the wife. We ate dinner at a supposedly nice place and then headed to the camp site. Got a fire going, etc etc. At about 1 in the morning, I woke up feeling awful...I suspect the beef brisket I had for dinner. To make a long story short, I puked my guts out and we came home.

Alright, so the reason that was important...when I puke, I puke hard. I mean, I bust blood vessels all over my face and even in my eyes. It's not a pretty picture. Plus, since I was off this weekend, so I haven't shaved in several days. I'm not sure if this is relevant, but it might have influenced the encounter, I don't know. Maybe if I had been wearing LEO-type clothing, I might have avoided the whole situation.

Anyway, I've had a bit of a cold the last few days (spending the night in sub-freezing temps while camping didn't help, I'm sure), so today I broke down and went to the store for some meds. Tried Publix, but didn't like their selection, so walked down to the CVS. I've OCed in both locations with no problems. Today, as I'm checking out the cashier mentions my face...yeah, yeah, I know I look like I got beat up, but it's just from puking. Then she notices my P220. Conversation went something like this:

Cashier: What are you?
Me: Huh? What do you mean?
Cashier: You a cop or something?
Me: No. Military actually (I was wearing a National Guard t-shirt)
Cashier: So what are you trying to prove walking around with a gun?
Me: Um, nothing...
Cashier: Can't you use these? (she holds up her fists)
Me: (trying to keep it cordial and light) Do you see my face? I don't need to get it beat up any more.
Cashier: That just means you should be really good at using these. (holds up fists again)
Me: (just smiled while I swiped my card)
Cashier: Ok, none of my business...unless you hurt one of my kids...
Me: (trying not to roll my eyes) Don't worry, I'm one of the good guys.

Then I left. I suppose I could have argued with her, but I don't know that it would have made a difference. And it would have just got me riled up.

It was just my first real negative encounter that I've had in 9 months of OCing, so thought I'd share. Kinda surprised I made it this long, but still disappointed, I guess.

·
Banned
6,624 Posts
Should have just asked her when was the last time she had to physically beat up a bad guy with a gun pointed at her. She was going out of her way to show you she wasn't skeerd of your gun, which means that she actually was.

·
Die Hard GCO Recruiter
6,763 Posts
Which CVS was this in? That way I know to aviod her. I probably wouldn't be as cordial.

·
Registered
4,352 Posts
seereus said:
Tough cashier.

If you try and utilize a firearm to harm one of her children, she is going to utilize her fist to protect them.

Tough, but not very smart.
actions like that will get you killed .

If someone is trying to rob her , hurt her kids what ever it might be and she tries to fight her way . she will lose period , unless Justin Bieber is the bad guy then maybe :lol: :lol:

·
Registered
1,153 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
budone1967 said:
Which CVS was this in? That way I know to aviod her. I probably wouldn't be as cordial.
Baker road Publix shopping center. With the Sonic, the now empty Blockbuster, Zaxby's, etc. It's at the far end of the strip.

Like I said, I've carried in there before and never had an issue. Guess she just was never working when I was there.

·
Seasteading Aficionado
44,896 Posts
Hmm that's interesting, some people cannot get into a physical altercation, such as myself.

·
Registered
139 Posts
If she's that tough w/o a gun.....imagine what she might be like with one!! :shock:

·
Member Georgia Carry
11,725 Posts
That was an ignorant and boorish lady. When she warned you not to hurt her kids, you could have said, "Don't worry, when I said I was military, I meant U.S. Military, not some third world military".

When she held up her fists, you could have said, "If I tried that against an armed bad guy, I don't think it would stop his bullets, do you"?

Oh well, hind sight...

·
Registered
1,457 Posts
I would have asked to speak to the manager and asked them if it was CVS policy for a cashier to antagonize the customers

·
Registered
4,352 Posts
N.T.F.S. said:
I would have asked to speak to the manager and asked them if it was CVS policy for a cashier to antagonize the customers
she was the manager lol

she had the dukes baby! I don't mean daisy dukes either :lol:

·
Member Georgia Carry
11,725 Posts
dunkel said:
budone1967 said:
Baker road Publix shopping center. With the Sonic, the now empty Blockbuster, Zaxby's, etc. It's at the far end of the strip.

Like I said, I've carried in there before and never had an issue. Guess she just was never working when I was there.
3513 BAKER ROAD
ACWORTH, GA30101
Phone: 770-917-0408

·
Registered
7,594 Posts
Phil1979 said:
dunkel said:
budone1967 said:

3513 BAKER ROAD
ACWORTH, GA30101
Phone: 770-917-0408
Sounds like a great place for an OC event. Say 7:00 this evening? Wish I were closer. I'd sure like to drop in!

·
Registered
2,611 Posts
As someone else said, sounds like you just found one of the stupid ones. I doubt it had anything to do with how you looked though.

·
Swollen Member
11,929 Posts
dunkel said:
Cashier: So what are you trying to prove walking around with a gun?
Me: Um, nothing...
Cashier: Can't you use these? (she holds up her fists)
Me: (trying to keep it cordial and light) Do you see my face? I don't need to get it beat up any more.
Cashier: That just means you should be really good at using these. (holds up fists again)
I have heard similar sentiments from a large cross section of my neighbors. Here in Atlanta, I live in two separate neighborhoods that coexist in the same space and share the same name. The one neighborhood is mostly low income black and the other is mostly mid to high income white. The few high income people that own firearms, regularly target shoot and hunt. The low income people that have firearms do not participate in such activities. The prevailing low income cultural view of firearms is that they are only used for illicit purposes, primarily in the roles of robbery and intimidation. Since those are the only roles in which they have ever seen firearms used, it's no wonder one might formulate a dim view of gun owners and make comments like, "So what are you trying to prove walking around with a gun?"

·
Registered
1,153 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Phil1979 said:
That was an ignorant and boorish lady. When she warned you not to hurt her kids, you could have said, "Don't worry, when I said I was military, I meant U.S. Military, not some third world military".

When she held up her fists, you could have said, "If I tried that against an armed bad guy, I don't think it would stop his bullets, do you"?

Oh well, hind sight...
Believe me, I thought about saying something along the lines. But what would it have gained me? She obviously was not open to learning about why someone carries. She had her mind made up and that was that. I was trying to prove something and I might possibly be a danger to her kids. Of course, one might ask why she thought it was a good idea to confront and antagonize someone she obviously thought was dangerous and knew for a fact was armed...

I also considered talking to the manager, but again, what would it have gained me? I've OCed there several times with no issue, so I don't think it's a store or company policy to harass law-abiding customers. She never asked me to leave, didn't refuse me service, and she didn't call the cops. She is well within her rights to ask whatever questions she wants, as long as that's as far as it goes.

Anyway, if anyone does want to make a special trip to pick up some Tylenol or whatever else one might need at a CVS, shoot me a PM and I'll be happy to meet you up there :righton:

·
Registered
2,120 Posts
It might would be better if others showed up that she had not seen before by themselves.

If they show up with you, she will probably think that you went and got some of your friends (which would be true) to show up and antagonize her some more (which also would be true).

This way, she sees others who are strangers doing the same thing that someone else did previously.

·
Registered
1,153 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Suburbbus said:
It might would be better if others showed up that she had not seen before by themselves.

If they show up with you, she will probably think that you went and got some of your friends (which would be true) to show up and antagonize her some more (which also would be true).

This way, she sees others who are strangers doing the same thing that someone else did previously.
Haha, good point.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts