Georgia Firearm Forums - Georgia Packing banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

Sunday I went to purchase a handgun at a local gun shop. They were having a cost sale. I purchased a 9mm but my application was put on hold. I am supposed to know the results tomorrow. I read the form and don't have anything that should disqualify me. Why was I put on hold?

·
Lawyer and Gun Activist
28,323 Posts
maybe

You don't have a Georgia Weapons Carry License (GWL or GWCL) so you have to do the full Brady "instant" Background Check when you purchase a firearms, right?

And you're neither approved nor denied, but just delayed?
Maybe you've got the same first and last name as somebody who IS disqualified?
Did you put your SSN on the application?
Maybe you've been the victim of identity theft in the past, and some criminal has been offering your name and/or DOB and /or SSN as his own?

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The dealer said it was on hold. I asked what that meant and he said they just needed more time to look it over. It was on a Sunday. I had a permit to carry but it was expired. Do I call the gun shop or will someone call me?

·
Registered
3,405 Posts
You should have heard from them by now if you went on Sunday iirc they only have a short time (two or three days) to decline after that it is assumed on to purchase

·
Just a Man
6,061 Posts
Home • About Us • CJIS • NICS • Federal Firearms Licensees • Delayed Firearm Transaction

Delayed Firearm Transaction

A Delayed Response Does Not Mean You Are Denied

The following is an explanation of a delay response and the answers to some of the most frequently asked questions. A delay response from the FBI Criminal Justice Information Services Division's National Instant Criminal Background Check System (NICS) Section indicates that either you or another individual with a similar name and/or similar descriptive features (name, sex, race, date of birth, state of residence, social security number, height, weight, or place of birth) has been matched with either state prohibitive criteria or one or more of the following federally prohibitive criteria:
When a delay response is received, this indicates that information supplied on the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives Form 4473 has been matched with information contained in the National Crime Information Center, the Interstate Identification Index, and/or the NICS Index. Complete information is not always available and a further review of these records is necessary. The NICS exhausts all efforts to retrieve current record information by contacting law enforcement agencies, i.e., local, state, federal, courts, etc. The Brady Handgun Violence Prevention Act of 1993 allows three business days to obtain this information prior to the transfer of the firearm. The Federal Firearms Licensee (FFL) is not prohibited from transferring the firearm after three business days have passed; however, the FFL is not required to transfer the firearm.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Success

Hi,

I called today and the dealer told me to come pick up my handgun. Don't know why it needed to be reviewed. After that, I went to the courthouse and applied for the Carry permit. I had one before but I let it expire. They said it should take about 12 days.

I was thinking about joining the NRA. I had never thought much about if before, but this process I just went through got me thinking. It seems like a good idea to help keep things in check for people trying to do things right.

Greg

G

·
Hi Greg,

I work at Clyde Armory in Bogart/Athens. When NiCS gives us a delay, they give us a date, usually around 3-5 days later on which the gun can be transferred if they have not called back. That is why the sales person gave you a date to pick it up.

If they call back sooner with a "denied" or "proceed" response, we can cancel or transfer the gun immediately, respectively.
When we get a call back with a proceed, we try to call the customer right away.

·
Registered
6,548 Posts
I was thinking about joining the NRA. I had never thought much about if before, but this process I just went through got me thinking. It seems like a good idea to help keep things in check for people trying to do things right.

Greg
Consider joining GeorgiaCarry.org as well. They are currently working on expanding/protecting gun rights in Georgia both at the capitol and in the courts.

·
Registered
274 Posts
I get delayed every time but get the phone call the following day telling me to come and get it. I guess it's because i'm English with a very common name.

Matt

1 - 12 of 12 Posts