Georgia Firearm Forums - Georgia Packing banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
ITSec Guy
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,

This seems to be the right section, but please let me know if this needs to move.

Anyway, I have been concealed carrying for quite some time. My most recent carry weapon is an xds 45 (love it by the way :-o). Anyways, I always carry covered up, but this morning I decided to bust out the Desantis OWB and tuck in my shirt. I think I must be hanging out in this forum too much :roll:. I am not sure why I was soo nervous, but my heart was racing. I walked into a Publix, bought some breakfast, paid and walked out......No one noticed :-o Not sure why I was all worked up, but I appreciate all of the stories and the support that got me to this level of comfort. Thanks!

Greg

·
Registered
14,956 Posts

Welcome to the club! Like you said, no one noticed. And that's the way it should be. Open carrying shouldn't be a big thing unless some moron makes it so.

·
Registered
1,671 Posts
What got me open carrying 3 years ago was being in walmart and seeing this young petite blonde with a ponytail oc'ing a stainless 1911 on her hip.

Another walmart patron looked at me, discreetly pointed down to her gun (she had already walked past) and gave me "bug eyes". I guess he thought I was store security/leo because I wear a dark navy uniform (I do not work for walmart). I just smiled and shrugged.

My thinking was "if she can do it so can I". Been Ocing every day ever since.

Congrats on your first open carry.

·
Man of Myth and Legend
15,147 Posts
gdski, now you get to go do a wally world mission. See the tactical map attached below. Plan and execute this between 1300 and 2000. Please file appropriate After Action Report here.

Nemo

·
ITSec Guy
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks all! Johnski, that sounds like some pretty good motivation!

Nemo,

I will run that Walmart mission this weekend and report back :p looks fun!

·
Member Georgia Carry
11,904 Posts
Don't forget QuikTrip! They have QT pies there! Well, not always. :lol:

·
Registered
1,671 Posts
Gdski, if you feel up to it, have a good friend role play the anti gunner and get into a loud argument with you about your OC'ing. Have him/her get right in your face. Have them shout "I'm gonna call the police!" and Why do you need a gun, etc etc.Not out in public but at home. See how you feel and react, gauge yourself, and learn from it. Have some calm, reasoned answers or just walk away. However you wish to handle it. Play through this scenario several times.

Have your friend play the part of the timid soccer mom who asks "why do you have a gun, are you police?" and the ever popular "there are children around here!"

All this may sound silly but it may help prepare you. Something like this may never happen but it likely will one day. I did this the hard way and each encounter I learned from it.

I've had people stare at me reallly obvious; one yelled out "look out Trayvon!!" in a crowded area; some play-raise their hands along their sides and say "don't shoot"; little kids will say to their parents "that man has a gun!"; one convieniece store clerk said he thought I was going to "rob him"; one supermarket clerk asked if I was leo, said she was studying to become a police officer and that she thought people shouldn't have guns.... It goes on and on. You'll get about the same or more positive encounters as well: "thanks for carrying"; I'm glad some are carrying", etc.

·
ITSec Guy
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Gdski, if you feel up to it, have a good friend role play the anti gunner and get into a loud argument with you about your OC'ing. Have him/her get right in your face. Have them shout "I'm gonna call the police!" and Why do you need a gun, etc etc.Not out in public but at home. See how you feel and react, gauge yourself, and learn from it. Have some calm, reasoned answers or just walk away. However you wish to handle it. Play through this scenario several times.

Have your friend play the part of the timid soccer mom who asks "why do you have a gun, are you police?" and the ever popular "there are children around here!"

All this may sound silly but it may help prepare you. Something like this may never happen but it likely will one day. I did this the hard way and each encounter I learned from it.

I've had people stare at me reallly obvious; one yelled out "look out Trayvon!!" in a crowded area; some play-raise their hands along their sides and say "don't shoot"; little kids will say to their parents "that man has a gun!"; one convieniece store clerk said he thought I was going to "rob him"; one supermarket clerk asked if I was leo, said she was studying to become a police officer and that she thought people shouldn't have guns.... It goes on and on. You'll get about the same or more positive encounters as well: "thanks for carrying"; I'm glad some are carrying", etc.
:goodpost: All really good advice sir, I appreciate it! I will give this a try.

·
Lawyer and Gun Activist
28,524 Posts
congrats on your first open carry.

Yesterday I anticipated stopping at a shooting range over lunch for a short range session, so I wore my .357 magnum, six-inch barrel, most of the day. Shopping, eating lunch, walking around crowded shopping center parking lots, etc.

One young mother (hispanic) pushing her baby stroller looked a little concerned as she passed by, but I just smiled and said "hi." I don't know if she knows about the Second Amendment or how open carry is legal in GA.

I can tell you all that between my fatness and this 1980s-era revolver I was carrying, I could not reasonably be mistaken for a cop. Although I suppose I could be mistaken for a security guard or something, not in uniform, but yet openly carrying (who does that? Anyone, ever? I didn't think so.)

·
ITSec Guy
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
congrats on your first open carry.

Yesterday I anticipated stopping at a shooting range over lunch for a short range session, so I wore my .357 magnum, six-inch barrel, most of the day. Shopping, eating lunch, walking around crowded shopping center parking lots, etc.

One young mother (hispanic) pushing her baby stroller looked a little concerned as she passed by, but I just smiled and said "hi." I don't know if she knows about the Second Amendment or how open carry is legal in GA.

I can tell you all that between my fatness and this 1980s-era revolver I was carrying, I could not reasonably be mistaken for a cop. Although I suppose I could be mistaken for a security guard or something, not in uniform, but yet openly carrying (who does that? Anyone, ever? I didn't think so.)

Thanks and wow! That is some next level open carry!

·
Man of Myth and Legend
15,147 Posts
I do that sometimes myself. But I use a Colt, 6" barrel Trooper Mk III. Very similar size, named Big Iron.

Nemo

·
Registered
883 Posts
That made me think of Paul Blart "Mall cop" .... Very nice .357 BTW!

·
I may be slow, but I sure am ugly
1,221 Posts
Standing in line to check in to the Covington Great Clips this morning, just after they opened; 2 out of 4 people in line were open carrying. Didn't have a chance to speak to the other person, and did not see a GCO sticker on his dark blue Jeep Liberty as he left the parking lot.

·
Member Georgia Carry
11,904 Posts
Yeah, you might as well carry a flintlock! :sly: :neener:

But revolvers are antiquated! You shouldn't carry a revolver as your primary!?

:devil:

1 - 20 of 21 Posts