Georgia Firearm Forums - Georgia Packing banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,894 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I put on my big boy pants recently and decided to open carry.

I ended up going to Harry's Farmer's Market (Whole Foods, up by the big chicken), and the Sams Club right up the road. Not a single word said, and I only noticed one woman staring at me while i was in Sams. I'm a pretty attractive guy, so she might have just been undressing me with her eyes :lol: .

I was wearing a collared shirt tucked into khaki pants and I'm pretty clean cut, carrying a full size 1911 in an OWB holster at the 4:00 position with a double mag holster on the opposite hip.

All in all, a good experience. I've been told I was pretty ballsy for OC'ing at Harry's for my first time... Something about hippies shopping there, i dunno.

·
Registered
299 Posts
Quest50 said:
I put on my big boy pants recently and decided to open carry.

I ended up going to Harry's Farmer's Market (Whole Foods, up by the big chicken), and the Sams Club right up the road. Not a single word said, and I only noticed one woman staring at me while i was in Sams. I'm a pretty attractive guy, so she might have just been undressing me with her eyes :lol: .

I was wearing a collared shirt tucked into khaki pants and I'm pretty clean cut, carrying a full size 1911 in an OWB holster at the 4:00 position with a double mag holster on the opposite hip.

All in all, a good experience. I've been told I was pretty ballsy for OC'ing at Harry's for my first time... Something about hippies shopping there, i dunno.
I live near there, and one of the first times my wife and I went there, I saw a guy walk into Harrys with a Glock on his hip. My wife saw how jealous I was because this was before I had my GWL.

I would think it would be a risky place to carry, only because Harrys and Whole Foods (even though I love shopping and eating there) would be scared of firearms. Something about them screams liberal, BUT then again, they could be like Starbucks and welcome that kind of thing.

·
Seasteading Aficionado
44,894 Posts
:righton: It only feels kinky the first few times. :lol:

If you keep it up, you won't even think about it, it just becomes habit.

·
Premium Member
5,239 Posts
Yeah, eventually OC'ing doesn't really feel any different than CC.

But regardless of whether you OC or CC, I think the most important thing is to carry enough so that you notice when the gun's not there.

Nowadays if I don't have a gun on me I feel awkward.

·
Seasteading Aficionado
44,894 Posts
I agree, OC or CC, if the gun is not there, I feel awkward, kind of like you're naked.

·
Premium Member
5,239 Posts
EJR914 said:
I agree, OC or CC, if the gun is not there, I feel awkward, kind of like you're naked.
Exactly, and only your wife/gf/etc. should see you naked.

·
Registered
1,894 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
ookoshi said:
EJR914 said:
Exactly, and only your wife/gf/etc. should see you naked.
Believe me, I know. I'm a college student: I feel naked every day i attend class. Aside from that, I always have a pistol on me. What good is a pistol if you don't have it when you need it?

·
Registered
1,153 Posts
I seem to recall someone here mentioning that the original Harry was pretty into guns himself. So carrying there may not be as controversial as one might think. I know I've lazy cc'ed there with no incident. But yeah, it does have a hippy vibe that one would think would attract antis.

Congrats on your first OC.

·
Registered
299 Posts
I got into it with an extreme liberal about my first day OC, not really a personal friend, but I knew him back in NY: here is how it went...

Other guy: Guns are bad!

Me: Guns aren't bad. It is the criminals that make the guns bad. I am a responsible citizen that lives in the state of Georgia, which makes it legal for citizens with a clean record able to conceal carry or open carry firearms to defend themselves and others. Bad guys don't follow laws, and it takes law enforcement an average of 7 minutes to get to the scene of a crime. What can happen in 7 minutes? I will not wait for someone to save my life if I can defend myself, my wife, or another innocent bystander.

Other guy: Other ways to defend yourself than guns! I believe in the right to bear arms but noone should be able to openly carry a deadly weapon like its a toy.

Me: Defending yourself with a gun is the most sure fire and quickest way to diffuse a situation. The people down here in Georgia, including me, NEVER treat our guns like toys. Personally, I train with my handgun. I know how to use my handgun. Safety is my number one concern. I never point my gun at anything I don't intend to destroy. It is a defensive tool. My wife knows how to use it if there was ever a case where she needed to use it.

If you were in danger, and you couldn't defend yourself, wouldn't you feel better if there was a responsible, good samaritan nearby willing to help and save your life? Or you could just wait for the cops to show up.

Other guy: I'm not generalizing Georgians, but you can only speak for yourself. i'm sure you're perfectly capable of controlling your weapon but not everyone is responsible. If its in your home i think thats perfectly comforting and fine, but if your gonna walk into mcdonalds with a gun in a holster and intimidate and scare people/children (even if you dont mean to) I thinks its a little egotistical and a cop out. When I say "you" I dont mean YOU personally, I just think it displays this image that shooting someone is the only way to resolve a problem

Me:The problem that I am talking about is being held at gunpoint, getting attacked, home invasion, stabbing, robbery, and shooting. I am talking about violent crimes. Look at that recent Arizona shooting. That man was deranged. What if someone was carrying a gun that was near by who was responsible and took action? There would have been A LOT fewer deaths than there was. Most violent crimes cannot be resolved other ways, most of them need immidiate reaction. I open carry because it is a deterrant. A criminal most likely won't do anything if he/she knows if theres is someone in the area ready to defend.

There is a town near by called Kennesaw. They have a law that states every household should have a gun and ammo. The crime rate is VERY LOW there, because bad guys that want to hurt people KNOW that there is a gun owner almost everywhere they go.

·
Banned
6,624 Posts
Could have gone so much smoother:

You: Whatever...

[...walks away...]

Let me guess... You didn't convince him...

·
Registered
299 Posts
AV8R said:
Could have gone so much smoother:

You: Whatever...

[...walks away...]

Let me guess... You didn't convince him...
:lol: He didn't respond back. Oh well, he can be happy in NY and I can live very happily here in GA! SOOOO glad I moved 3 months ago.

·
Registered
414 Posts
I finally had my first somewhat negative OC experience a few weeks ago at Winder Wal-Mart. Was carrying a CZ-75B with a spare mag on my weak side.

Was in the checkout line putting my groceries on the conveyer belt and I heard the woman behind me say 'I hope you're a cop'. I ignored her and soon she repeated herself. I simply turned to her and politely said 'No I'm not, but do you need one?

She just continued to stare at me, so I continued with my checkout and she says 'well why are you carrying that?' I replied to her that private citizens that are licensed are legal to OC or CC in GA. "I don't need a reason."

Was finished checking out at that point and the cashier said to me: 'Nice piece'. I thanked him, wished her a good evening and was on my way.

Just kind of caught me off guard because it was the first time in almost two years of OC where I had such an experience. So used to OC at this point, I don't even think twice about it. The only other comments I've ever had were thing to the effect of nice holster, etc.

·
Premium Member
5,239 Posts
You should have said, "Because if there's a bad guy that wants to do me or my family harm, I think being able to defend myself is a better solution than asking the nearest guy if they're a cop."

·
Registered
291 Posts
EJR914 said:
:righton: It only feels kinky the first few times. :lol:

If you keep it up, you won't even think about it, it just becomes habit.
Must be because I am 60 yo, it doesn't ever seem kinky anymore unless I leave my gun at home.

·
Registered
291 Posts
BourneEBR said:
I got into it with an extreme liberal about my first day OC, not really a personal friend, but I knew him back in NY: here is how it went...

Me: Guns aren't bad. It is the criminals that make the guns bad. I am a responsible citizen that lives in the state of Georgia, which makes it legal for citizens with a clean record able to conceal carry or open carry firearms to defend themselves and others. Bad guys don't follow laws, and it takes law enforcement an average of 7 minutes to get to the scene of a crime. What can happen in 7 minutes? I will not wait for someone to save my life if I can defend myself, my wife, or another innocent bystander.

Other guy: Other ways to defend yourself than guns! I believe in the right to bear arms but noone should be able to openly carry a deadly weapon like its a toy.

Me: Defending yourself with a gun is the most sure fire and quickest way to diffuse a situation. The people down here in Georgia, including me, NEVER treat our guns like toys. Personally, I train with my handgun. I know how to use my handgun. Safety is my number one concern. I never point my gun at anything I don't intend to destroy. It is a defensive tool. My wife knows how to use it if there was ever a case where she needed to use it.

If you were in danger, and you couldn't defend yourself, wouldn't you feel better if there was a responsible, good samaritan nearby willing to help and save your life? Or you could just wait for the cops to show up.

Other guy: I'm not generalizing Georgians, but you can only speak for yourself. i'm sure you're perfectly capable of controlling your weapon but not everyone is responsible. If its in your home i think thats perfectly comforting and fine, but if your gonna walk into mcdonalds with a gun in a holster and intimidate and scare people/children (even if you dont mean to) I thinks its a little egotistical and a cop out. When I say "you" I dont mean YOU personally, I just think it displays this image that shooting someone is the only way to resolve a problem

Me:The problem that I am talking about is being held at gunpoint, getting attacked, home invasion, stabbing, robbery, and shooting. I am talking about violent crimes. Look at that recent Arizona shooting. That man was deranged. What if someone was carrying a gun that was near by who was responsible and took action? There would have been A LOT fewer deaths than there was. Most violent crimes cannot be resolved other ways, most of them need immidiate reaction. I open carry because it is a deterrant. A criminal most likely won't do anything if he/she knows if theres is someone in the area ready to defend.

There is a town near by called Kennesaw. They have a law that states every household should have a gun and ammo. The crime rate is VERY LOW there, because bad guys that want to hurt people KNOW that there is a gun owner almost everywhere they go.
This makes me want to OC a chain saw and go visit that guy just to see his reaction. Something tells me that he would knee jerk react over most anything.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts