First negative experience in over 10 years

Discussion in 'Citizens Encounters' started by Myright, May 1, 2017.

1. Myright

Myright Freedom Loving Citizen

I was open carrying at the Walmart in Canton and as my wife and I were loading the groceries into our vehicle, a man starts walking towards us from a vehicle across from us. He said he was an officer with some department, but I didn't quite catch what he said. He told me that I needed to conceal my weapon, as I was currently breaking the law. I told him he was mistaken, as Georgia's Weapon Carry License does not specify the method of carry, so it can be carried either open or concealed. He told me I was wrong and I needed to conceal my weapon right now, and threatened to get his badge out of his vehicle. I tried to show him my license, but he started to walk back towards his vehicle like he had no interest in what my license actually said. I told him again that he was wrong and didn't know the law, but he was persistent, believing he was right. I told him to get his badge, but all he did was get in his vehicle and drive off.
    My guess is he was just one of those anti-gunners trying to intimidate me, upset someone has the gall to openly carry in a public place, like Walmart.
    I can only hope that he attempts to verify what he thought is law and gets a reality check. :)

2. DonT

DonT Deplorable bitter clinger.

You were more polite than I would have been, but you handled it well. I think I would have replied as you did, but then gone about my business and ignored him after the first exchange.

3. gunsmoker

gunsmoker Lawyer and Gun Activist

Could've been some type of cop or auxiliary officer or reserve officer or maybe some other type of government official that gets a badge.
    Fire marshal? Corner? Medical examiner? State treasury agent ?

Even an actual full-time lawn Forssman officer might be ignorant about that aspect of our law. After all, how often do cops run across people openly carrying handguns in public? I think it's still a fairly rare activity- unless you hang around gun shops in shooting ranges like we all do !

4. gunsmoker

gunsmoker Lawyer and Gun Activist

If House Bill 280 gets signed into law, this will muddy the waters on concealed carry somewhat because it will mandate only concealed carry for college campuses .
    I predict a significant number of people will hear or read that and misinterpret the law and think that the ban on open carry applies to other areas too .

5. Malum Prohibitum

Malum Prohibitum Moderator Staff Member

I would have dialed 911, informed the dispatcher that I had a man impersonating a police officer, and followed the imposter until the local constabulary stopped him.

6. RedDawnTheMusical

RedDawnTheMusical Well-Known Member

This. I seriously doubt he was law enforcement and this would have afforded him the opportunity to understand that 1) OC isn't a crime but 2) holding oneself out as a law enforcement officer is. Who knows - he may even be dumb enough to admit his statements to you to the real law enforcement officers...

7. AtlPhilip

AtlPhilip Proud GCO member.

Excellent, I'll walk to your car with you!

{writes down tag number}

Hello, 911? I'd like to report a man in violation of O.C.G.A. 16-10-23, impersonating a public official. Yes Sir, Georgia tag ABC 123....

Last edited: May 1, 2017
  8. UtiPossidetis

UtiPossidetis American

Really surprised that you had that encounter in Canton. My experience with LEOs in Cherokee, with the exception of Woodstock PD, has been uniformly positive and Pro-2A. I know, I know, he might have been a poser. But still, this here is G*d's Country, although I did hear a Democrat moved in around here someplace.....

9. Myright

Myright Freedom Loving Citizen

Yeah, that will be such a difficult thing for them to effectively enforce, as most campuses don't have defining boundaries as what is and what is not campus.

10. awanatech

awanatech Active Member

It won't be that hard for them to enforce. It will be diffucult for us to comply with it. They will likely know where those invisible boundaries are, we likely will not know them all.

11. AtlPhilip

It's especially easy when they have no penalty for being wrong.

12. Feral

Feral Active Member

I am concerned with "conceal" being in our law. I don't like that. But baby steps I suppose.

13. AtlPhilip

What could possibly go wrong. It's not like we give officers a pass for unlawful arrest when they are wrong about the law.

Oh wait....

14. Malum Prohibitum

I share you concern, but I sympathize more with the students who have to walk home from the Georgia Tech library at night than I do over the concerns of people like you and me, who can stand back and demand that the bill be "pure" before passage and end up with nothing. HB 280 makes students better off than they were before, and that is what matters to me at this point.

Insisting upon legalizing the act of openly carrying pistols to class would have only one result - it would continue to be a crime to carry the means of self defense, openly or concealed.

15. Malum Prohibitum

In that respect, how does HB 280 differ from the situation today, when it is illegal to carry on campus at all? You must still know the invisible boundary locations. If you choose to carry openly near campus, learn where the lines are. That is the case today. That will be the case come July 1. The difference will be that if Deal signs HB 280, your first offense will be a $25 fine rather than a year in a concrete box with these guys.

[​IMG]

16. AtlPhilip

For the record, I concur with your opinion and the GCO strategy. I don't like what we got, but I am grateful we have gained ground.

17. Bkite

Bkite PawPaw x 2

18. awanatech

awanatech Active Member

That's true. I don't get into downtown Atlanta very often. So when I'm driving with my BIL downtown on Saturday, he's pointing out all the places now that GSU owns. They have bought so much of downtown that it seems like SCAD in Savannah. It would be very easy to cross that invisible line and wander unknowingly onto a "campus".

19. TITAN308

TITAN308 :) :) :)

My patience for people like that is stretched pretty thin as I get older.

After my first cordial response my next probably would have been to tell him to F* off.

20. phantoms

phantoms Senior Mumbler

Is that Cagle in the white tanktop, Deal in the orange jumpsuit and the poor GA citizen with his back to us? :sly:

Last edited: May 2, 2017