Georgia Firearm Forums - Georgia Packing banner

First Lady breaks IL law by campaigning in polling place

1K views 22 replies 15 participants last post by  AEKDB 
#1 ·
Wow... Ignorance is not a defense unless you are an Obama! I know it seems trivial but if we allow them to break all election laws because they are the ruling couple then don't we run the chance of creating a dictatorship?

Illinois state law -- Sec. 17-29 (a) -- states: "No judge of election, pollwatcher, or other person shall, at any primary or election, do any electioneering or soliciting of votes or engage in any political discussion within any polling place [or] within 100 feet of any polling place."

A top Ilinois State Board of Elections official tells the DRUDGE REPORT that Mrs. Obama -- a Harvard-educated lawyer -- may have simply been ignorant of the law and thus violated it unintentionally.

"You kind of have to drop the standard for the first lady, right?" the official explained late Thursday. "I mean, she's pretty well liked and probably doesn't know what she's doing."
http://www.drudgereport.com/flash2.htm

#2 ·
".. doesn't know what she is doing." could easily apply to both of the Obamas.

#5 ·
Cynthia McKinney and her father Billy did this in Atlanta, GA a few years ago.
Caused a disturbance / fight / almost a fight at a polling place, arguing politics.
I don't recall the details now, but back then I figured that if they weren't celebrities they would have been arrested.

#6 ·
samman23 said:
I don't have a problem with it. She was voting and talked to someone as she came out. She probably should not have talked to anybody about anything political in nature due to who she is and where she was, but it is really not a big deal.
I have a problem with it.
She is no better than any other person that walks this earth.
If me or you, went to the polls and campaigned, we would face the consequences.

It appears that laws do not apply to the current Administration, or those that support them.

#7 ·
when I read the story this morning I thought she just talked to one or two people on the way out. After reading the article linked this afternoon, I have to agree with others who have a problem with it. If people wanted to take pictures with her or if she wanted to talk politics, they should have walked 100 ft.

#9 ·
seereus said:

It appears that laws do not apply to the current Administration, or those that support them.
Given the cases already dismissed by this Justice Department over polling place conduct, did you really expect any different this election? :?

Maybe if I join the Black Panthers, I can "legally" OC when I go vote?

#10 ·
RickN said:
seereus said:

Given the cases already dismissed by this Justice Department over polling place conduct, did you really expect any different this election? :?

Exactly.

#11 ·
BSCLibertarian said:
RickN said:
seereus said:

Exactly.
You would not have to worry about the legality of it.

#13 ·
seereus said:
If it were just a comment or two, nobody would care if it were "me or you." At the most the poll workers would tell "me or you" to cut-it-out.

#14 ·
GAGunOwner said:
seereus said:
If it were just a comment or two, nobody would care if it were "me or you." At the most the poll workers would tell "me or you" to cut-it-out.
True but "me or you" is very different from being a political figure. If Newt Gingrich, Mitt Romney, Rush Limbaugh, or Neal Boortz were to make comments like this in a poll I would expect charges against them.

She knew what she was doing and she knew she would get away with it.

#17 ·
Adam5 said:
Wolfram said:
Where is the Obamas current legal residence, and how is she still allowed to vote in Il?
Her legal residence is in Chicago.

All poiliticians in DC vote in their home districts.
Just like all deployed service members vote in their home districts even if they are not even living within the US. Should we strip them of they're ability to participate in representative government because of their service?

#18 ·
AEKDB said:
GAGunOwner said:
seereus said:
True but "me or you" is very different from being a political figure. If Newt Gingrich, Mitt Romney, Rush Limbaugh, or Neal Boortz were to make comments like this in a poll I would expect charges against them.

She knew what she was doing and she knew she would get away with it.
The people you mentioned wouldn't face charges either.

#20 ·
Adam5 said:
Her legal residence is in Chicago.

All poiliticians in DC vote in their home districts.
Ahh, I see, thanks for the explanation.

AeroShooter said:
Just like all deployed service members vote in their home districts even if they are not even living within the US. Should we strip them of they're ability to participate in representative government because of their service?
I wasn't trying to push that, I was just confused as to where they should be voting. I wasn't aware that they could still vote in IL, I figured they would have to vote in the DC area.

#22 ·
A "normal" person's experience.

David McKinley, the Republican nominee for the House seat in West Virginia’s 1st district, had been stumping on the third floor of the Harrison County courthouse here on Thursday when he was politely informed that his campaign stop was also a polling place
http://thehill.com/blogs/ballot-box/hou ... u-campaign

#23 ·
Rugerer said:
A "normal" person's experience.

David McKinley, the Republican nominee for the House seat in West Virginia’s 1st district, had been stumping on the third floor of the Harrison County courthouse here on Thursday when he was politely informed that his campaign stop was also a polling place
http://thehill.com/blogs/ballot-box/hou ... u-campaign
There is a big difference between being two floors above a polling place and making a speech in the polling area.

David McKinley, the Republican nominee for the House seat in West Virginia’s 1st district, had been stumping on the third floor of the Harrison County courthouse here on Thursday when he was politely informed that his campaign stop was also a polling place; district residents were casting ballots two floors below.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.