First Build, Frist 1911!!!!

Discussion in 'How to' started by redefined, Dec 28, 2010.

1. redefined

redefined Member

January 1st 2010 I purchased my first 1911, with many thanks to DannyK for turning me on to the 1911 platform. By nature I tinker with things, Danny being a local friend of mine was aware of this while suggesting firearms to me, my pocket book hates him now! After shooting the gun as is for a few months I decided to slowly work into things and replace parts one at a time, well that was the plan at least. I shot DannyK’s pistol a handful of times and fell in love.

So I decided to start with a new trigger. Well that means I need the full ignition set, so while in there why not do a grip safety and thumb safety right? It all needs fitted together anyway. The madness never ended but boy did I learn a lot.

If the work was not done by myself I have listed next to the item who performed the services. I tried to do as much as I could without having a horrible looking weapon!

Special thanks to DannyK, Dave Erickson and all of the guys here on the forums. Danny I would not have even attempted all of this without your help. Thanks for pointing me in the correct direction with things, letting me borrow your thousands of dollars in tools, and even working on my gun with me!

Dave Erickson, what can I say? Top-notch work! Thanks for the countless emails and phone calls discussing what would be best for the look I wanted to achieve while staying in my budget. I felt that Dave really was there to help, not just to make money. He suggested spending a little less money with him by not doing some cuts to make sure the rest of the gun would be finished. The suggestions and information Dave provided was priceless. Thanks Dave!!

Well enough blabbing, onto the parts list and pictures!!! This thread will be very picture heavy as photography is another hobby/job of mine. Next time I need to take more detailed pictures during the build process. All of the build images were taken with a cell phone :bawling:

Thanks again to everyone involved! Oh yeah, including my wife who shares my love of cars and firearms. Thanks!!

Full dehorne of all new parts along with the slide and frame.
    Cylinder & Slide Pin Set
    EGW Grip Screw Bushings
    EGW Firing Pin Stop
    EGW Ejector
    EGW Extractor
    EGW Spring Plug
    EGW Barrel Bushing
    Ed Brown Extended Tactical Style Safety
    Ed Brown Hardcore Slide Stop - shortened
    Berryhill Custom Short Serrated Trigger
    Berryhill Custom Ultimate Ignition set
    Smith & Alexander Beavertail Grip Safety
    Wilson Combat Checkered Mainspring Housing
    Dawson Precision Rail mounted and silver soldered - MUCH help from DannyK (90% of the soldering was done by Danny).
    Dawson Surefire Adaptor for x300
    Wolf Springs (Plunger, Firing pin, Recoil, Sear)
    Heinie 1 Dot Tritium Ultra Low-Mount SlantPro Ledge Rear Sight
    Novak Dovetail Mount Tritium Front Sight
    VZ Operators II Black Grips

Machine work:
    Novak cut slide for sights - Dave Erickson
    20lip Frontstrap checkering - Dave Erickson
    Countersink Slide Stop Hole
    Flush, angle, and polish Barrel end.

Finish:
    Cerakote over a fresh coat of parkerizing. Tungsten Grey is the main color featured along with accessories done in Graphite Black. Both the Cerakote and Parkerizing were done by myself and DannyK, I sprayed he hung :biglaugh:

This pistol started its life as a Springfield Mil-Spec - Bone stock!

[​IMG]

Installing Berryhill Ignition parts

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Handful of other parts installed, but not dehorned

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Blending that tail!

[​IMG]

2. redefined

redefined Member

Fresh back from Dave Erickson :rock:

[​IMG]

Smooth that MSH

[​IMG]

Make it all flush

[​IMG]

Not ideal, but it worked great! Dawson rail install

[​IMG]

Thanks again DannyK for the silver solder job!

[​IMG]

Time for some paint!!!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

3. redefined

redefined Member

4. Docindahouze

Docindahouze Member

very very nice! :righton: I like the gray, gives it an old school look.

5. tmoore912

tmoore912 Just a Man

I agree. It would have been perfect, but you went and put a rail on a 1911. :screwy:

6. dcannon1

dcannon1 New Member

7. howie1932

howie1932 New Member

Very nice looking gun. I'm not a big fan of rails on 1911's but it looks nicely installed.

What kind of camera did you shoot the finished product pictures with? Photography is also a hobby of mine as well. I mostly shoot sports and animals with a few scenic shots. I've tried taking pictures of guns but non of them ever look that good. I like the way you've setup these pictures.

8. Jason F

Jason F Member

Oh gosh- I just sent you a PM on M4carbine.net asking a question or two about this since I saw you posted there. Now I pop over to GPDO and see you're a Georgia guy.... cool.

Once again, GREAT looking build. Be very proud of this one, she's a beauty!

9. redefined

redefined Member

Thanks! I shoot with a Canon 5dmkII. All of those final shots were with 2 lights. 1 Alien Bee 1600 and 1 Canon 430exii. I used 2 lenses Canon 50mm 1.4 and a Sigma 24-70 2.8 DX. I think I shot a couple also with my Canon 70-200 f4 IS but not sure that I used any of those, I'd have to double check.

Glad you like the look of it installed, and thanks for the props on the pictures!

Haha!! I just responded to you over on M4. Thanks again Jason.

10. hkdave

hkdave New Member

looks great!

11. madcapmagician

madcapmagician New Member

12. ARMT Guy

ARMT Guy Ordinary Average Guy

Dang! :shock:

Alotta work put into that baby. It's lookin' mean.. mighty mean! 8)

I too would like to know how it shoots now. How would you compare how it shoots now after the 'operation' to before?

13. EJR914

EJR914 Cheezburger Operator

Wow looks great! Ditto on the rail. :righton:

14. 1str8shot

1str8shot New Member

i was enjoying the pics until i seen that rail. you almost had a nice build goin......

15. Puffyfish

Puffyfish New Member

Looks great, even with the rail. (different strokes and all) I accept that you had a purpose in mind. :righton:
    What did you name her? Such a fine weapon deserves a name ya know. If I may suggest 'Grey goose' or 'goose' for short maybe.

Whole lotta win there.[​IMG]

16. GeorgiaShooter

GeorgiaShooter Retired

Very cool, rail and all, BUILD it the way you actually want it I say. How does total cost of building something like this yourself compared to buying a nice one from an established maker? I was looking at some Kimber pistols last week and drooling on the counter a little bit. No matter what others like, I just LOVE the way a 45 shoots and they also bring back a lot of memories from my youth with father, uncles, grandfather all owning one. Anyway NICE job. I love the understated elegance.

17. hailcat

hailcat Guest

very impressive. ignore the naysayers; it is a beautiful weapon and you made it YOUR own, just the way you wanted it. you should be proud. kudos.

18. Stooldaddy

Stooldaddy New Member

I got no problem with the rail... Especially one done yourself. Very Nice!

19. redefined

redefined Member

Wow sorry guys. Not sure how I missed people posting in here! Yeah the rail is not for everyone. I wanted a rail as this is my 'fighting' and 'nightstand' pistol. I carry it when I OWB carry but not with a light. When it's around the house it has the Surefire attached to it. Love it or hate it, I love it.

Like a dream! I had 1 problem with it after the build but it was my fault, kind of. I had accidently put the old sear spring back in which I guess I had bent a little while sitting on my desk. It was bent so it went inside the frame and pushed on the back of the magazine. This was causing the magazine to not drop by itself when pushing the release. So not really a failure, but not ideal. All I had to do was bend it back to its correct state and it was good to go. I replaced it with a Wolf spring though.

No failures at all. Has probably 1500sh rounds through it with a mix of FMJ and defense ammo. Both in training situations and just practicing at the range. Couldn't ask for anything better, love it!

Well in flat out cost it's different depending on what you consider 'established makers' and if you are willing to put in the time and patience to build one. I can't just build one in a weekend so if I'm in need of something ASAP I'd buy one to hold me over till I could build one. Then sell the one I bought after the fact. I'm not a fan of Kimber pistols so I wouldn't trade this one for 5 Kimbers, haha. The fit and finish of mine (at least to my eyes) is a lot better than any Kimber, Dan Wesson, etc. Those just leave a lot to be desired as far as fitment goes when you look at the details. Now if you look at some of the top dog gunsmiths yeah mine doesn't compare( Dave Erickson, Chuck Rogers, Bob Rodgers, etc) but then again I couldn't sell mine for $6,000 haha! I'd consider selling mine if the price was right, just to build another one! In fact I'm in the middle of a CCO every day carry build right now. Thanks for the comments Shooter.

20. LoneOak

LoneOak Proprietor LoneOakTerrace

I am sorry redefined, but I have to challenge your statement reguarding the fit and finish of the Dan Wesson line of 1911 pistol in comparison to the Springfield 1911 that you built. In no way am I implying that there is anything wrong with the Springer pistol, your's is a very nice looking piece that anyone would be proud to own, but the fit and finish of a factory Dan Wesson is far superior to anything being produced by Springfield and definetely far superior to the Kimber (in my opinion).

I wish I had a better picture to show the slide to frame fit of my Dan Wesson but I can't seem to find one now.
    [​IMG]

Compare the close tolerances on that fit with your Springer and it shouldn't take long to see the difference. If you want to see some more pics, go to the Dan Wesson sub forum of the 1911forum and spend a little time drooling.
    Peace