first 1911

Discussion in 'Firearms' started by patrick4588, Oct 9, 2010.

1. patrick4588

patrick4588 New Member

traded my M&P for a Springfield Mil Spec to a fellow board member yesterday. And now being in the 1911 club, i want to do a few minor things to it. Any suggestions for particular beavertail, hammer, or triggers? Also i heard changing to a titanium firing pin is a good mod? i would like some nice leather for it as well if anyone has a holster for sale. owb belt slide or snaps.
    [​IMG]

2. drtybykr

drtybykr New Member

Just shoot it. No mods necessary :righton:

3. patrick4588

patrick4588 New Member

i have a very hard time keeping anything stock. even my glock has an extra 300 tied up in it.

4. samman23

samman23 New Member

If you really want to blow some money customizing, send it to Nighthawk or Wilson or Ed Brown or even back to Springfield for their custom shop.

personally I'd buy ammo and training.

5. patrick4588

patrick4588 New Member

I never said i wanted to blow a bunch of money or send it out for full customization. I was thinking more along the lines of a beavertail, trigger, new hammer, etc. little stuff.

6. samman23

samman23 New Member

I didn't mean for that to come off rude. Sorry about that. If I was to buy parts, it would probably be from one of those three. 1911 parts often need fitting so be prepared for the stuff not to fit until you take off some metal. If I was to do anything, I'd get a skeleton hammer because I like the way they look.

Very nice pistol btw!!!

7. BSCLibertarian

BSCLibertarian I'm kind of a big deal

Beavertail safety, skelentonized trigger and a bobbed hammer is about all I would do. I haven't customized my 1911 at all so I'll let other recommend a manufacturer(s) for the parts.

Nice pistol...I was drooling over that (if it's the one that was on the B/S/T here).....welcome to the single stack club.

Make sure you post pics after you make your mods...

:righton:

8. patrick4588

patrick4588 New Member

it was indeed the one there in the b/s/t.

9. BSCLibertarian

BSCLibertarian I'm kind of a big deal

I figured.

Stainless Steel is awesome...the only finish I like better is Nickel (learned to shoot as a kid w/ my dads Nickel Colt 1911) but I'd love to have either someday.

I have seen some people do mods that are in a different color - like blued trigger etc. on a Stainless pistol. Looks pretty cool sometimes. I have a parkerized Rock Island GI model and when I do some mods I am thinking about doing matte stainless......

10. patrick4588

patrick4588 New Member

i want black and silver so ill probably get the beavertail, hammer, trigger in black.

11. JeffSmith2208

JeffSmith2208 New Member

I've had a few 1911's and have to say they are my favorite pistol design I've ever owned, held, or shot.

I would say out of all of the mods and add-ons I've done, my favorite would have to be a Wilson Combat extended mag release like this one:
    [​IMG]

12. Match10

Match10 Active Member

Just shoot the beastie! :lol:

13. RepeatDefender

RepeatDefender New Member

If I'm not mistaken, all Springfield 1911's already have titanium firing pins stock from the factory.

14. gunsmoker

gunsmoker Lawyer and Gun Activist

I'd shoot it first and see if there any problems that need correcting or areas in which the gun is not performing to its full potential.

Will it hold a tight group if you shoot it from a bench rest?
    How's the trigger? Good enough for a precise shot on a small target?
    Is the "lock time" fast enough to suit you, considering what you want to do with the gun and your own skill level?

Is it reliable with semi-wadcutter cast lead bullets?

One of the shooters in this month's "postal match" used a Government Model 1911 with handloaded ammo to get an excellent score in the 80s, shooting a small bullseye target standing, unsupported, at 50 feet.

15. zetor

zetor Gaston beat up John

Good looking pistol. I wish I had bought a base model.
    I bought a XSE colt (SA's "loaded" equivalent model) and ditched half the gadgetry. I got rid of the FLGR and the ambi safety.
    I have a very reliable pistol, but could have had the same for less. I think you have a great platform that might not need ANYTHING.
    If you do want a better trigger, it is something you can do yourself. Don't be dissuaded by those with a readily canned "send it to a qualified gunsmith or you will die" response. Plenty of good articles on this.
    Stainless RULES!

Chip McCormick Mags

16. Jmark

Jmark Active Member

I wonder if Springfield would still honor their warranty if do those modifications? Also, all of the parts you are talking about may need minor/major fitting to work properly in your gun. Off the shelf parts aren't going to necessarily just drop in and fit right. I would be especially careful with anything in you fire control group. An improperly fitted trigger/hammer can lead to your gun going FA.

17. BlenderWizard

BlenderWizard New Member

Smith and Alexander Magwell