Georgia Firearm Forums - Georgia Packing banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
2,284 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had a chance to fire a full-auto AR-15-platform rifle today - that is pretty cool! I was amazed at how difficult it is to keep the muzzle anywhere close to being on target. It is also easy to go through ammo very quickly!

All-in-all a very cool thing to try, but unless one had an opportunity to spend a LOT of time shooting, I think it would be extremely difficult to get proficient.

EDIT: I guess you'd call it an M4-type gun, but it wasn't a Colt.

·
Lawyer and Gun Activist
28,314 Posts
Was this the 9mm version of the M4 that they have at Bullseye in Lawrenceville?
I think because it's throwing out 115 grain bullets instead of 55 grainers, it generates more recoil.

I have tried both it and (at another range) a real M4 in 5.56mm. The one chambered for the varmint rifle caliber had less muzzle rise. Although I could not really keep a proper "sight picture" with either weapon. After the first shot all I had was a "flash sight picture" as the sights bobbed and wobbled. But the 9mm gun had more of that.

·
Registered
2,284 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
This one was 5.56. I didn't spend a lot of time learning the technique - I only shot one mag on auto, and did that in eight or ten bursts.

·
Registered
1,918 Posts
That's why they use 3 round bursts.
Although full auto is very fun :mrgreen:
I miss the happy switch,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

·
Registered
2,189 Posts
Stance and the muzzle device has a lot to do with recoil control on an M-16. I find it fairly easy to keep all my rounds minute of car at 100 yards. :mrgreen:

·
Registered
541 Posts
I did the opposite.

When I shot full-auto for the 1st time I was anticipating muzzle rise
and compensated for it happening. We were shooting pop-up targets @ 25 yards
is all. My 1st round was the only one that hit anything. I buried the rest of the mag in the dirt in front of the target. :lol:

·
Registered
123 Posts
Id be happy witha 3rd burst.

I have shot a couple different "fullys" at the Red Hill, Machine Gun Melee.( even a belt fed HK)

Blew thru alotta coin. The .22's were the funnest.

·
Registered
2,189 Posts
Three round burst is pointless IMO, you can do that simply with trigger control. I'd rather have the option selecting how many rounds a bullet hose puts down range myself. :mrgreen:

·
Registered
4,352 Posts
Anyone way to convert a semi into a 3 round burst ?

·
Ordinary Average Guy
2,934 Posts
Ha! Try an AK47 with a folding stock, folded! :shock: :shattered:

With the stock unfolded and fixed, its not too bad. But man! Fold that sucker and try it on auto and yeah.. have fun with that! :screwy:

I swapped out the the burst fire control parts to full auto in my mil-issue M4 while I was in Afghanistan this year. Relatively easy to control the short and long bursts. I liked having the auto rather than burst capability for it. And MUCH funner too! :lol:

·
Registered
2,189 Posts
A folded AK would be a handfull!

Did you get a chance to play with any PKM's? Those are a hoot!

·
Ordinary Average Guy
2,934 Posts
Jmark said:
A folded AK would be a handfull!

Did you get a chance to play with any PKM's? Those are a hoot!
Tell me about it! I was firing that particular AK on a 25m range and just barely managed to keep the rounds from climbing up over the berm! :shock: :shattered:

I never had a chance to mess with anything else. We had a chance to go off base and fire various MGs, but our chain of command shot that down. :x

·
Registered
2,189 Posts
The post sample I got to play with amazed me how it would feed a 150 round belt just hanging to the ground and keep running like a sewing machine.

·
Banned
7,204 Posts
I suppose nothing can be done about the erroneous assumption that hand held fully automatic fire is somehow more efficient than aimed fire. As I used to demonstrate, when I had a teaching job, quick semi-automatic fire is far more likely to produce results than bursts. Thus the preoccupation of the Feds with the idea that is it somehow an offense against God and man to convert a semi-automatic weapon to a fully automatic capacity is simply a manifestation of ignorance. If a man is shooting at me, I would much prefer that he were on full auto than carefully holding and squeezing. The automatic option is the greatest encourager of the spray-and-pray technique, which I have long done my best to discourage.-- Col. Jeff Cooper

·
Registered
1,918 Posts
Tech5 said:
Anyone way to convert a semi into a 3 round burst ?
In the 70's we were taught finger control on the trigger to obtain a 3 rd. burst, to keep from wasting ammo and hitting your target. When the crap is whizzing all around you, all bets are off ;)

·
Registered
2,472 Posts
Got friend of a friend with a sf m16 lower. He's got a .22 upper to go along with it. That's fun stuff there. I still want ao G18. Just because. :twisted:

1 - 19 of 19 Posts