Firearms/Self Defense Books

Discussion in 'Training' started by S&W 40, Oct 27, 2007.

1. S&W 40

S&W 40 Active Member

I am looking for a good basic firearms training book and or websites. Most I have seen get to technical for my wife, not looking to make her a firearms or self defense expert. She really could care less to read about most of what I am interested in but if presented in the right format I am sure she would read and learn some just to be able to prove me wrong. Is there anyone that has a wife like this and found any books that you have found that your wife would at least browse through? She does not really like to sit at a computer and read so books are the preferred media.

2. moonchicken

moonchicken New Member

The Concealed Handgun Manual by Chris Bird.

I read this one a few months ago and I liked it. It presents several different aspects of owning a gun for self defense such as what type of firearms and training you should consider, and the author also talks about the legal repercussions, including several true story accounts of people who were involved in a shooting. At the end there is a summary of carry laws and reciprocity for all states, but of course that may already be outdated since the book was published.

Check out the link for a summary of the chapter contents.

3. budder

budder Moderator Staff Member

This website: http://www.corneredcat.com/ is written and maintained by pax, a female moderator over at thehighroad.org. It's a great introduction for female shooters.

4. Cavediver

Cavediver Member

Start here:
    Armed & Female by Paxton Quigley
    This is one of the first books my wife bought when we started looking into self defense and firearms. It's not really a training manual, however there is a good bit of "why & how". It might be a good primer, maybe it'll make her a little more interested in the subject.

We recently read Stressfire II (shotguns) and In the Gravest Extreme, both by Massad Ayoob. Absolute no-nonsense, no BS, straightforward writing. Maybe not her style but you should check them out anyhow. My guess is that Stressfire 1 (and all of the other Ayoob offerings) will be good too.

5. GrimJack

GrimJack Active Member

+1 Good Book. I also like his book that I think is called Thank God I had a Gun. Which is less about training but more stories of self defense with a very good story related to the aftermath of hurricane Katrina.

6. S&W 40

S&W 40 Active Member

moon, thanks ordered one the other day from Amazon for under $16 plus shipping. I did find out after I ordered that edition5 will be released for shipping on 15 Nov, includes Katrina info.

budder, I forgot about that site had been on it last year and was just what I was looking for. Now if I can get Wifey to read on the computer.