Georgiapacking.org banner

21 - 40 of 47 Posts

·
68,118 Posts
As for the term "genocide," the guy who invented the term did so BECAUSE of what the Ottomans did to the Armenians. Law professor Raphael Lemkin, who coined the term "genocide" in 1943, has stated that he did so "because it happened so many times… First to the Armenians, then after the Armenians, Hitler took action."

So, I think it is a fair description.

·
68,118 Posts
tace said:
Please don't say Turkish government or a party within cause whatever happened preceded the Turkish government by more than a decade.
. . .
Also, trying to force Turkish Republic to own up to an event that was in the time of the Empire that very government forceably wiped out is ironic and idiotic at the same time.
Only one Turkish government, that of Damad Ferit Pasha, has ever recognized the Armenian genocide. In fact, that Turkish government held war crimes trials and condemned to death the major leaders responsible.

·
Registered
824 Posts
I think the term gets applied too liberally. Not referring directly to our Armenian issue, people have always wanted to wipe out others from different tribes. The definition

Article 2 of the CPPCG defines genocide as "any of the following acts committed with intent to destroy, in whole or in part, a national, ethnical, racial or religious group, as such: Killing members of the group; Causing serious bodily or mental harm to members of the group; Deliberately inflicting on the group conditions of life calculated to bring about its physical destruction in whole or in part; Imposing measures intended to prevent births within the group; [and/or] Forcibly transferring children of the group to another group."
Let's talk about the Chinese, the Mongolian Hordes, the Normans, the Saxons, any African tribe... Remember, it's only in recent memory that the primary method of warfare *didn't* involve basically everyone in the populace being a target. How many people did we kill at Dresden? I look at it, it's normal in the course of war, someone else looks at it, and says it was "genocide on the people of Okinawa."

It's a term that gets selectively used to create new levels of "horror" within the guilt ridden liberal communities. How about we get a little disgusted at what happened to the Army and Marines on Okinawa, or the butcher's bill at Antietam, in Russia (heeeello, Uncle Joe!), etc?

People die, life sucks, give everyone an AK-47 and at least you level the playing field.

Coming back OT, some circles think it's an attempt to split the Armenian American (traditionally hard core R from what I hear) over to the (D).

·
68,118 Posts
I decided against posting them, but the mass grave photos certainly cause one to associate the scenes with similar photos from WWII. In addition, both American ambassadors to the Ottomans during WWI were of the opinion that is was genocide with rebellion as an excuse.

My reading of history leads me to the same conclusion.

·
68,118 Posts
My posts are not commenting on Congressional action, which I think is idiotic right now.

·
Registered
4,048 Posts
You mean "when no Harkonnen breathes Arrakeen air" ??? :lol:

·
Registered
1,981 Posts
Malum Prohibitum said:
My posts are not commenting on Congressional action, which I think is idiotic right now.
Right, let's say Turkish Govt says that they are sorry Ottoman Empire did commit genocide. Then what? What's is it going to change? Is it going to legitimize the killings of innocent people around the world by Armenian terrorists?

What's the whole point of going through with this resolution now? I am guessing this is the democrat's underhanded way of trying to corrupt support for US military and force Bush administration to pull out of Iraq. Oh, and the Armenian lobby in CA finally gets their wish and Pelosi ends up paying them her debt for financing her.

Going back to the main point of the article though, if you don't wanna be in the whim of your govt for persecution depending on race/color, etc, don't let them take your guns.

·
Registered
895 Posts
tace said:
Malum Prohibitum said:
Right, let's say Turkish Govt says that they are sorry Ottoman Empire did commit genocide. Then what? What's is it going to change? Is it going to legitimize the killings of innocent people around the world by Armenian terrorists?

What's the whole point of going through with this resolution now? I am guessing this is the democrat's underhanded way of trying to corrupt support for US military and force Bush administration to pull out of Iraq. Oh, and the Armenian lobby in CA finally gets their wish and Pelosi ends up paying them her debt for financing her.

Going back to the main point of the article though, if you don't wanna be in the whim of your govt for persecution depending on race/color, etc, don't let them take your guns.
Exactly!
and
AMEN!

·
Registered
8,809 Posts
tace said:
Malum Prohibitum said:

The whole idea of "resolutions" bother me. Isn't it just a way of putting an official opinion down? If so, then it's pure politics. All talk, no action. That's all it is now.

·
Registered
895 Posts
ptsmith24 said:
The whole idea of "resolutions" bother me. Isn't it just a way of putting an official opinion down? If so, then it's pure politics. All talk, no action. That's all it is now.
Which is all it can be since it happened 100 years ago.

·
Registered
8,809 Posts
fallison said:
ptsmith24 said:
I'm not talking about this specific incident...just resolutions in general.

·
Registered
6,313 Posts
budder said:
AeroShooter said:
If it is not the deliberate and systematic destruction of all life on Arrakis, it's not genocide.
NERD!
that's right... but I'm a cool nerd... I'm a gangsta nerd...

/wannabe hackers, code crackers, slackers
//wastin' all their time with chat room yakkers

·
Registered
895 Posts
ptsmith24 said:
fallison said:
ptsmith24 said:
I'm not talking about this specific incident...just resolutions in general.
Oh, in that case, I am all for resolutions. The less actual work Congress does, the less they can screw up. I just wish they could come up with stupid, pointless resolutions that don't piss off our allies.

·
68,118 Posts
tace said:
I am guessing this is the democrat's underhanded way of trying to corrupt support for US military and force Bush administration to pull out of Iraq.
That is my guess as well. A LOT of material for troops in Iraq is shipped to the military through Turkey and our base there. Something like 1/3 of the fuel used . . .

·
68,118 Posts
And, "The young girls, often very young ones, have become the booty of the Musulmans." If they weren't killed, he noted, they were raped and sold into slavery or harems."

But even Bernau had not seen what Aurora Mardiganian experienced north of Aleppo in Diyarbekir, where the killing squads played "the game of swords" with Armenian girls. Having planted their swords in the ground, blade up, in a row, at several-yard intervals, the men on horsebackack grabbed a girl. At the signal, given by a shout, they rode their horses at a controlled gallop, throwing the girl with the intent of killing her by impaling her on a sword. "If the killer missed," Mardiganian writes, "and the girl was only injured, she would be scooped up again until she was impaled on the protruding blade. It was a game, a contest," the trauma-stricken survivor wrote in her memoir, and after the girls were dead, the Turks forced the Jews of the city to gather up the bodies in oxcarts and throw them in the Tigris River.
The Burning Tigris: The Armenian Genocide and America's Response, by Peter Balakian, p. 262.

·
68,118 Posts
Armenians, for example, had to be deferential before Muslims in public; they could not ride a horse when a Muslim was passing by; they were to wear dress that made them easily identifiable; they were forbidden to own weapons.
p. 42 (emphasis added)

21 - 40 of 47 Posts