Firearms & Armenian Genocide

Discussion in 'Firearm Related' started by kkennett, Oct 17, 2007.

1. kkennett

kkennett New Member

2. budder

budder Moderator Staff Member

It was a party within the Turkish government, not the Turks as a whole. That's like saying blaming Germans for the Holocaust.

3. tace

tace New Member

Please don't say Turkish government or a party within cause whatever happened preceded the Turkish government by more than a decade. Having had relatives on both sides of the this so called "genocide" it really isn't such a simple thing to classify.

Also, trying to force Turkish Republic to own up to an event that was in the time of the Empire that very government forceably wiped out is ironic and idiotic at the same time.

He does have one point in that, you want to control the masses, better make sure they are unarmed and unable to resist.

Unable to resist part is being handled by the media and the crappy education system, in that the new generations is too stupid to realize what is going on, or too distracted by Paris Hilton's daily adventures to care.

4. budder

budder Moderator Staff Member

Eh, it was the best way I could think of describing it. :p

5. AeroShooter

AeroShooter Active Member

I think it would be more correct to blame it on the Ottoman's in general (or tace specifically :) ).

EDIT:

I've gone on record previously to say: blame it on the individuals responsible for the crime.

6. tace

tace New Member

My response is [​IMG]

7. Dan H

Dan H New Member

lol :lol:

8. AeroShooter

Yep, PWNED with my own avatar... I wish MP could be here to see this... :)

9. LonelyMachines

LonelyMachines Guest

Actually, Kopel gives a lowball estimate to the number of casualties. For the period (1909–1918), the death toll is estimated at 1,883,000.

On a lighter note, who is that on your avatar, Aero?

10. AeroShooter

just something I grabbed off of Fark

11. lsu_nonleg

lsu_nonleg New Member

Inspirational!

Parallels to current day Iraq?

I'm starting to figure out that it's not the fanny pack wearing idiots in sleeveless NASCAR shirts standing in an Irish pub asking, "Is there any REAL football on?" that creates ugly American perceptions.

It's our g*ddamned politicians that wouldn't know a Byzantine from a Turk from an ottoman from an arab from a persian.

12. tace

tace New Member

Well, it's not just the politicians. There are many Americans who think that Iraq and not Taliban was behind 9/11. That's not a joke. I have coworkers who mentioned this at work :shock: , college educated, middle class Americans.

13. Malum Prohibitum

Malum Prohibitum Moderator Staff Member

AAAAHHHH! :wildeyed:

14. fallison

fallison Guest

And just as many Americans that believe Iraq was a secular government that gave no aid and comfort to the Islamists. Plenty of tin foil hats to go around on both sides.

15. Malum Prohibitum

Do David Kopel, Paul Gallant, and Joanne D. Eisen oversimplify things in their article?

16. tace

tace New Member

What they seem to ignore is that the Ottoman Empire was in the middle of WW I and fighting on multiple fronts when a part of their population started to rebel and aid the enemy, namely Russians and the French.

I am not saying how Ottoman Empire handled the rebellions was appropriate but it seems to me that the authors are making it out like it was the strict intention of the Ottomans to wipe out all Armenians, like Hitler with Jews. Having read a lot of Ottoman Empire history I can't believe such a thing was the intention of the Sultan. On the other hand, Ottomans had a policy of relocating large groups of minorities to other parts of the Empire to eliminate unrest in sections. They have moved many Islamic tribes to the Balkans and those ppl were the ones who were being systematically persecuted (genocide anyone?) in the Yugoslav Republic and Bulgaria in the recent decades.

17. Malum Prohibitum

Didn't these massacres start two decades before WWI?

18. Malum Prohibitum

1909 - 30,000 massacred.

The link to WWI?

19. Malum Prohibitum

I will give you the fact that the BIG numbers came in WWI.