Georgia Firearm Forums - Georgia Packing banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
698 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I carry to work everyday, but due to company rules against firearms at work, I lock it up in my little vault in the truck until time to go home. Sometimes on the way home, I'll stop off at a store and it's not uncommon to bump into coworkers. We both know we've come straight from work. I've always been carrying concealed but I'm thinking of breaking myself in to OC'ing.

I'm sure somebody out there has been in this position before. What can I expect for reactions? Anyone ever caught heat from work about carrying? How did you deal with it?

·
Member Georgia Carry
11,717 Posts
Ga_Regul8r said:
I carry to work everyday, but due to company rules against firearms at work, I lock it up in my little vault in the truck until time to go home. Sometimes on the way home, I'll stop off at a store and it's not uncommon to bump into coworkers. We both know we've come straight from work. I've always been carrying concealed but I'm thinking of breaking myself in to OC'ing.

I'm sure somebody out there has been in this position before. What can I expect for reactions? Anyone ever caught heat from work about carrying? How did you deal with it?
In this type of situation, I'd say loose lips sink ships. A co-worker may report you, and get you fired. So keep it concealed when on the job, and when meeting your co-workers after work. Any other time, feel free to OC. :righton:

·
Registered
1,704 Posts
Phil1979 said:
Ga_Regul8r said:

In this type of situation, I'd say loose lips sink ships. A co-worker may report you, and get you fired. So keep it concealed when on the job, and when meeting your co-workers after work. Any other time, feel free to OC. :righton:
This.

Unfortunately, though you have the right to keep your gun in the car while at work, you don't have the right to keep your job if the company decides to fire you because of it.

·
Seasteading Aficionado
44,894 Posts
I'm lucky, I didn't have this problem at my last place of employment. I OC'd and CC'd depending on my mood at work.

By the end of it, I had my boss CC'in to work. :D :righton:

I will probably not be so lucky in my next job.

·
Registered
707 Posts
I'd have to agree with the 'keeping it concealed'. In the age of FaceBook firings someone in management not liking you packing and getting word of it down by the 'watercooler' or email may make thing difficult for you.

I'd suggest staying with your current habit of keeping to yourself.

·
Die Hard GCO Recruiter
6,763 Posts
I wouldn't tell anyone. Just keep doing what you have been doing. With this economy you don't want to be on the job hunt.

·
Registered
2,611 Posts
I'm planning to go to a smaller weapon (LCP) for just this reason--if no one ever sees it, no one knows its there (at work or out and about). Where I work, its not only a fire-able offense, its one you could serve time for if someone felt like doing you in--running into someone that doesn't know me, but recognizes me, on my way too or from work could lead to a lot more than just unemployment. Stupid :censored: laws. :evil:

·
Registered
4,148 Posts
The advice from some to conceal at work to avoid being terminated is colossally bad advice. It is also easy for them, because it is no harm to them to give such bad advice.

We have seen, time and again, instances where CC is noticed. Risking your livelyhood in wishful thinking is poor judgement. Follow your company's rules, and carry as you like otherwise.

·
Registered
2,611 Posts
^^Not sure about others, but my advice wasn't in regards to actually carrying at work, but about before and after work, in the cases of workplaces that don't even want employees having guns in their cars while at work. :righton:

·
Super Moderator
7,120 Posts
Hock25 said:
The advice from some to conceal at work to avoid being terminated is colossally bad advice. It is also easy for them, because it is no harm to them to give such bad advice.

We have seen, time and again, instances where CC is noticed. Risking your livelyhood in wishful thinking is poor judgement. Follow your company's rules, and carry as you like otherwise.
I didn't get the impression that is what they meant. I thought what they were inferring was that if you are going to hang out, shop, gas up, whatever in the vicinity of your place of employment immediately before or after work, it might be a good idea to conceal your firearm to prevent somebody you run into from your workplace from seeing you carrying, assuming that you had to have the firearm in your car while working, and get you busted for having it on company property.

·
Registered
4,148 Posts
[quote="Phil1979In this type of situation, I'd say loose lips sink ships. A co-worker may report you, and get you fired. So keep it concealed when on the job, and when meeting your co-workers after work. Any other time, feel free to OC. :righton:[/quote]

This, and similar advice from others in past threads, is what I am referring to. These folks ain't gonna pay your bills when you get terminated.

·
Registered
698 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks for the input. For now, I'm keeping quiet and CC. I'll probably continue that from here on out.

Turns out our 4 year old employee handbook says no firearms on the property. (I think there is a newer version that lacks that statement. I just have to track it down.) The way I read the parking lot law, the company cannot search my vehicle without a search warrant. Now, I don't know if any federeal law trumps that, as we do do defense work.

Since they can only search it for company things, I believe I can hold out either for a search warrant or consent to a search by a LEO only. I understand this can all be ended really quick with those three little words, "You are fired." Since GA is a right to work state, I wouldn't have a leg to stand on for a wrongful discharge lawsuit.

Ya think if I started parking on the side of the road across the street, I'd be safe from firing? They can't make me park in their parking lot.

·
Registered
7,594 Posts
Ga_Regul8r said:
Ya think if I started parking on the side of the road across the street, I'd be safe from firing? They can't make me park in their parking lot.
That actually was going to be my suggestion, but you'd already figured it out. These days, jobs are just to vital.

I'm not saying the answer is to violate company policy IN the workplace either, but I do know a person who carries daily on an Army post. He doesn't take the risk of an ankle holster, but uses a holster on the inside of his right calf. He's been afraid that even an ankle holster might reveal. I'm not advising that you break DO policy, but if you do this is worth considering. For him, the risk of losing his job (Civil Service, with probably twenty years vested) is subordinate to his need to protect himself. Might be :screwy: , but who's to judge?

·
Dei Gratia
2,907 Posts
The wife used to purse carry at the office. A co-worker decided theere was something she just had to have in the "purse drawer" of my wife's desk, in her otherwise private office. A day or two later she was lectured on how dangerous a gun is and made to drive an hour home to leave the weapon and then return to work.

It can be found if "Murphy" has his way. And he usually does. If you carry, carry only in your car and never let your co-workers know you do.

Just my :2cents:

·
Registered
698 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I'd never risk carrying inside the building. I think mum's the word as far as locking it up inside the car. If the heat gets turned up, I'll either be forced to leave it home or park on the opposite side of the road.

·
Registered
7,594 Posts
Work is probably the only place you shouldn't talk the Second Amendment or hand out GCO cards. :lol:

Florida has great laws in this regard. Specifically, an employer can not fire you because you have a gun in the car. We need that here!

·
Registered
698 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
CountryGun said:
Work is probably the only place you shouldn't talk the Second Amendment or hand out GCO cards. :lol:

Florida has great laws in this regard. Specifically, an employer can not fire you because you have a gun in the car. We need that here!
+1000

·
Member Georgia Carry
11,717 Posts
Hock25 said:
Phil1979 said:
This, and similar advice from others in past threads, is what I am referring to. These folks ain't gonna pay your bills when you get terminated.
Hock25, my point was to keep it concealed AS OPPOSED to open carry. I was not implying he had to bring his gun to work, or that he could conceal at work with no risk at all of being discovered.

-------------------------

To Ga_Regul8r: Did my post come across to you in the way I intended it to?

·
Registered
563 Posts
Ga_Regul8r said:
CountryGun said:

+1000
+2000

1 - 20 of 24 Posts