Firearms Aiding And Abetting Charge Dropped Against Judge

Discussion in 'In the News' started by Malum Prohibitum, Oct 26, 2018.

1. Malum Prohibitum

Malum Prohibitum Moderator Staff Member

2. moe mensale

moe mensale Well-Known Member

I'm confused here. It sounds like there was a 4th, or maybe more, person in the "Navy SEAL's" house that decided, for whatever reason, to rat out the judge?

3. RedDawnTheMusical

RedDawnTheMusical Well-Known Member

I find that a deeply disturbing comment. A judge wasn't aware that firearms (other than those carried by on-duty law enforcement) aren't allowed in a courthouse?

4. Suburbbus

Suburbbus Well-Known Member

From reading the first article link, one incident took place at the home of the convicted felon and the son did it, not the Judge. There is no mention of where a second incident took place with a firearm and the felon.

5. Malum Prohibitum

Huh? Did you read the article? I think you are confusing this one with another thread about another judge in another state in another situation.

6. Nemo

Nemo Man of Myth and Legend

You need to read the second article on the matter. Its seems to lay out the facts of the case a bit more detailed. But somewhat different than your link.

Also check the dates on the articles.

Nemo

https://www1.cbn.com/cbnnews/us/201...ho-says-he-was-targeted-for-christian-beliefs

"So we went out there on a Sunday," Day continued, "brought him some food and I went to work on the pellet stove and my son, unbeknownst to me, went out to his truck and got a handgun that he wanted to show the Navy SEAL."

"So the Navy SEAL picked it up – and he's a felon so he shouldn't have been handling that gun – and I was in the room and that's how I got charged with aiding and abetting a felon in possession of a firearm," Day explained

7. GAfirearmsReference

GAfirearmsReference Weapons Law Booklet

So, was the judge's son charged with allowing a felon to possess a handgun?

8. GAfirearmsReference

And, if "possessing" a firearm means just to touch it for a few seconds, why aren't all those felons arrested who attempt to buy guns at FFL dealers but who check "yes" on the felon question and then explain to the dealer that they thought once they were off probation they got their gun rights back. The dealer explains that's NOT how it works and cancels the sale. But the felon did handle that gun in the store as part of selecting it to purchase.

So... could he be prosecuted just for that? Based on one minute of "possession" dune under the intense supervision of the store clerk?

9. GAfirearmsReference

If handling a gun under close supervision of the gun store's staff is still "possession" of a gun, what keeps the cops from arresting anybody who rents a machine gun or silencer-wearing weapon at a gun range? Those NFA items are not registered to the customers, so how can the customers possess them legally, even for a one-hour period?

10. Malum Prohibitum

It looks like he was being targeted for unpopular viewpoints on a subject that was not a mandatory part of his duties as a judge.

11. Malum Prohibitum

12. Malum Prohibitum

Same link.

Incident One.
    Day allegedly asked Shehan to search a cabinet for a gun tucked away in a secret compartment while Shehan was doing work at Day's daughter's house. When Shehan found the gun, he asked Day's permission to check the gun for safety. Day granted permission, and Shehan cleared the gun.​

Incident Two.
    Two months later, when Day and his son stopped by to help Shehan fix a stove at the rural Marion County farmhouse where he was living, Day's son retrieved a pistol from his truck. Shehan asked Day if he could show his son how to safely handle the weapon. Day allegedly replied, "No problem."

The pair later went shooting with Day's permission, according to the report.

Shehan later admitted to court personnel that he had handled firearms, a violation of his probation.

This sparked an ethics investigation focusing not only on the firearms incidents but also on allegations that Day refused to marry same-sex couples, hung a portrait of Adolf Hilter in a courthouse art display and bullied a referee at his son's soccer game.​

13. moe mensale

moe mensale Well-Known Member

OK, I get it now. Shehan, the Navy SEAL, was the guy that inadvertently caused troubles for the judge. Glad he decided not to be the state's pawn. The problem with OR is that it's stuck in between CA and WA. It was a nice place back in 1990 when I lived there.