Firearm safes

Discussion in 'Firearm Related' started by gkill772001, Oct 7, 2017.

1. gkill772001

gkill772001 Member

I'm now at the point where I need better security for my meager firearm collection, and am looking for a fire resistant safe to house my firearms and important documents. What brands are worth of a look? What's important for interior extras, like lighting, dehumidification, or convenience? What have you experienced, or heard? Just looking for input, folks. Thanks!

2. 45_Fan

45_Fan Well-Known Member

So the general opinion is to add up the net value of what you intend to secure in the safe and then budget some percentage of that (10%-20%? Help me out guys!).

If you are attempting to secure a $100k machine gun or shotgun collection, you're probably checking with your insurance company and spending $10k-$20k on a safe that has some serious ratings (TL-15 or TL-30). If you're looking to secure $5k-$10k of ARs, passports, and laptops, you're probably at the upper end of residential security containers (RSC rating). If you have a few thousand in guns and papers that already fits in your existing insurance coverage you may be looking for something that's essentially a locker with a fire rating. If you've got a pistol or two and a long arm or two and just want to keep them away from kids, a trunk or locker with a padlock may suffice.

It's easier to start with a budget and go from there than it is to wade through marketing literature so they can tell you what you "need".

I have a $800 residential security container that's got a fire rating, 8 bolts, and a fancy handle on it to make it look like a safe. I have maybe (just maybe) $5k of arms in it if you counted MSRP, so not all that much. It gives me peace of mind that if some rowdy teens broke in while I was at work they'd likely be stymied. I just don't expect it to hold up for very long if 2 guys came at it with $200 worth of tools.

One other piece of advice you'll get here is anchor it, anchor it, anchor it. If it's not anchored, 2 guys and a hand truck can get it out of your place in minutes and spend time opening it elsewhere. If you only anchor it to the floor, they'll rock it free and carry it out as if it wasn't anchored at all. If you can bolt it to the floor, a rear wall, and a side wall, it just about requires more $$$ worth of tools to remove it than the contents may be worth.

3. Alabama Jones

Alabama Jones Señor Member

This is all good advice. I would add that while your collection may be
    meager now, if you are like me, you can anticipate future growth!
    Buy something substantially bigger than you need now! :twisted:

4. Casual User

Casual User Member

Regardless of manufacturer they do tend to shrink over time. Fancy interiors and paint jobs don't impress me much, I'd rather the manufacturer spend the money on actual steel. Likewise, I'm not a big fan of electronic locks, S&G mechanical locks have been around for a long time and have a proven record of reliability. Actual security comes from the amount of steel and thickness, but that adds considerably to the weight. Depending on where you will place it, that can be a limiting factor. Once you get past 800 lbs Amsec or even a used TL-15 are good choices. I've got a Graffunder, very pricey, but I appreciate the quality of workmanship. Any safe can be opened by a skilled or determined thief.

5. Craftsman

Craftsman Well-Known Member

David's Gun Room in Norcross has a showroom next door that sells Liberty Safes. I purchased one from them a few years back and have been very satisfied. Many of the safes you see at sporting goods stores are little better than metal lock boxes. A good safe should secure and protect your guns and other valuables from theft and fire. Liberty safes aren't cheap, but then they aren't CHEAP.

6. Wheedle

Wheedle Active Member

We are looking at upgrading houses next year, I hope to upgrade to a real fire resistant long rifle safe then....