Firearm on Marta to airport - non-CCW

Discussion in 'General GWL Questions' started by kkennett, Jul 17, 2006.

1. kkennett

kkennett New Member

Unfortunately, I'm probably going to have to resort to Marta to get to the airport for vacation. I will be transporting a shotgun for clay shooting on vacation. Can I simply take it on, unloaded and locked in the same case I check with the airline? I have searched their website thoroughly and have not found any mention one way or the other.

2. Malum Prohibitum

Malum Prohibitum Moderator Staff Member

Wow. I don't even think I have to type words anymore! EMOTICONS SAY IT ALL!

3. kkennett

kkennett New Member

Yes, I am absolutely clear.

4. Malum Prohibitum

ok, emoticons would not convey this, so here is the legal answer:

" . . . nor shall the prohibition apply to persons transporting weapons contained in baggage which is not accessible to passengers if the presence of such weapons has been declared to the transportation company and such weapons have been secured in a manner prescribed by state or federal law or regulation for the purpose of transportation or shipment."

O.C.G.A. 16-12-123

5. Malum Prohibitum

6. kkennett

kkennett New Member

I'll probably call out of curiousity, but I don't see handing over such an expensive firearm to anyone even vaguely associated with Marta. They are not exactly known for their careful, personal customer service, IMHO.

7. Malum Prohibitum

Sure you can't get someone just to drop you off at the curb, then?

8. kkennett

kkennett New Member

Searching around for someone to do just that. Thanks a bunch for the help.

9. jrm

jrm Sledgehammer

It seems to me the federal law would be of some help. You are in transit on a journey. You are going to have the firearm unloaded and locked in a a case. It is legal for you to possess the firearm at your point of origination (your house). Presumably, it is legal for you to possess it at the end of your journey.

10. Malum Prohibitum

11. kkennett

kkennett New Member

Jamaica - if only. Been there once, would love to go back. Just Virginia. Left a message with Administrative Lt. at Marta. First lady did not know.

12. Malum Prohibitum

BIG surprise. :D Let us know what they say.

13. Taurus

Taurus New Member

Please let us know....

Make sure and get first and last name, and also document time and date, just in case some moron says "Who told you that"....Getting in writing would be even better.....

14. kkennett

kkennett New Member

Here's a shock - no return call from Marta yet. Refer again to my 'customer service' comment above. :-s

15. kkennett

kkennett New Member

Well folks, Marta has certainly lived up to their customer service reputation. No return call. I only hope this certain Lt. is more responsive when other citizens need his assistance. Found a ride anyway.