Finally, someone speaks the truth about a guy who was shot..

Discussion in 'In the News' started by Macktee, May 1, 2007.

1. Macktee

Macktee New Member

Having spent almost my entire life in Louisville, I check the website of the local newspaper on a daily basis to keep up with what's going on. I found this little article today.

Whenever there's a shooting in Atlanta, the family always says the same stuff,

"He was a good boy.

He was never in any serious trouble.

He was starting to turn his life around.

Why did he have to die like that?"

etc.,

etc.,

etc.....

Here's a story from Louisville. It's just slightly different... At least the guy's aunt doesn't try to sell us all the bullcrap we've come to expect!

It's interesting to note the aunt was going to work. The story doesn't mention where he was going.

Oh yeah. Anyone going to Louisville this weekend for Derby "cruising" should probably stay home. Not only would it would be safer, but the city is shutting down Broadway. Probably 90% of the cars on that street this year will have blue lights on the roof!

http://www.courier-journal.com/apps/pbc ... /705010406

Tuesday, May 1, 2007

Man is shot to death at 35th and Broadway
    Victim had pulled in to store's gas station

By Jessie Halladayand Jason Riley
    The Courier-Journal

A 21-year-old man was shot and killed yesterday after pulling up at a gas station at 35th Street and Broadway.

James D. Bland, of the 1000 block of South 32nd St., died at the scene about 7:15 a.m., said Jim Wesley, a deputy Jefferson County coroner.

The shooting took place in the parking lot of the B-Line Food Mart, said Officer Dwight Mitchell, a Louisville Metro Police spokesman.

Two men with the victim were being questioned by police.

Yesterday afternoon police were looking for a late 1980s or early 1990s black Chevrolet Caprice that was seen leaving the scene of the shooting, Mitchell said.

Bland's family struggled with news of the death.

"I'm not understanding a lot of things right now," said Latonia Bland, the victim's aunt.

Bland said she spoke to her nephew about 6:30 a.m. when he stopped by her home before she left for work. He told her about his plans to get his car painted for Derby weekend, she said.

Bland had a criminal history that included several drug-related convictions, according to court records.

"He was no angel," his aunt said.