Georgia Firearm Forums - Georgia Packing banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A little background:
I am somewhat new to the firearm community.
Shot a bit as a kid, but after we moved when I was 12, I never got into shooting sports.
Fast forward 30 years, and I finally got the itch with some $$ in my pocket.
For starters got a 10/22. What better way to get back into the sport?
Then I got a Savage 110 in 30-06.
Been looking for a place and someone who could help me out with shooting basics.
Well, turns out Mr. Jack from about a mile down is a retired sniper and has a little range setup at his place.
Had a blast today learning about zeroing in my rifle and getting some pointers. Started off at 80 yds. Got a pretty decent group at that range, and after some more practice and a better scope I might try out his 350 yard target spot.
Just a great day!

·
Lawyer and Gun Activist
28,534 Posts
Sounds like you're off to a good start. I like the Ruger 10/22 rifles so much, I have two of them. Both modified to some degree. Both have had trigger jobs. It's hard to be accurate when you're pulling 7 lbs of pressure on the trigger of a gun that only weighs 6 pounds itself. Now my triggers are around 2.5 lbs.

Reactions: GeorgiaVOL

·
Lawyer and Gun Activist
28,534 Posts
That Savage 30-06 will go the distance. I shot a Weatherby 30-06 at 600 yards, and it grouped as well as my M1A national match rifle. I also used a Savage 110 in .243 in a 600-yard match (I was in it for fun, not to win) and it would keep them in pie-plate sized group except for called flyers.

Reactions: GeorgiaVOL

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
At this point I am the bigger reason for not having really close groups. I can say it has a pretty heavy trigger though.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts