Finally getting around to this part

Discussion in 'Welcome New Members' started by wsweeks2, Jun 19, 2007.

1. wsweeks2

wsweeks2 New Member

I joined the forums as well as GCO a month ago give or take a few weeks, but haven't made it here yet for some reason.

I'm originally a native of Baltimore (although I try not to admit it) and have been in Georgia since the day after Christmas in 2004. I was very proactive while living in Maryland in regards to carry issues as they are one of the worst states in the country. Moving to Georgia, I guess I took it for granted and have applied for my GFL just recently.

Originally lived in Cumming, but now am in Suwanee (and glad to see the change recently with Gwinnett's Park Ordinance)

I also can share my first open carry story while I'm at it, as I was up north this past weekend, and took advantage of Virginia's laws to OC without a permit.

My fiancee and I had lunch at a Cracker Barrel in South Hill just off of I 85. She's not up on the laws regarding OC or CC for that matter. As we got out of the car, she noticed a Sheriff's Deputy walking in the door just ahead of us and asked me to leave "it" in the car since she didn't want me to get in trouble. I reassured her of the laws in VA and in we went. As we were putting our names on the list for the table, the LEO (Mecklenberg County Sheriff) was walking towards us, and upon noticing that I was armed, simply nodded his head. I nodded back and asked how he was doing. He said all was well and to enjoy our meal. That was the extent of it.

I do have to say that while I plan on carrying both openly and concealed upon receving my GFL, it will take some adjustment to be comfortable with openly carrying. It just doesn't feel natural I guess, which is a sad reflection on our society and the overall stigma they have placed on firearms.

Sorry for the lengthy rambling, but I'm glad to be here among a group of individuals who care as much about my rights as I do. This forum has been an excellent source of information and humor during my time here so far.

Thanks to everyone and stay safe!

Bill

2. Malum Prohibitum

Malum Prohibitum Moderator Staff Member

And it may result in hassle for you in Gwinnett.

3. wsweeks2

wsweeks2 New Member

Yeah, I saw that thread. Would everyone agree that just like every other group, organization, etc., that you can't judge what each individual would do based on the answers/actions of a few? I'm sure there are some GCPD out there who will freak, but I also feel that cowering and caving in to unlawful pressure isn't the way to change things either.

Just my $.02

***EDIT*** - Let me add that while not cowering or caving, as long as what you are doing is LEGAL then I see no need to back down.

4. Mobster989

Mobster989 New Member

It's true. A right not exercised is a right lost. That's why I'm thinking about putting a sling on my Romanian AK and open carrying that little bastard. Maybe I should draw attention to myself. These anti-gun morons want to push the envelope of legal/constitutional gun control? Well why shouldn't I push it back?

5. triggerman357

triggerman357 New Member

:welcome: Bill

I drew alot strength and courage to finally OC this weekend after hanging out with these guys @ Charlie Elliott. It felt sorta natural while returning my crappy red dot at Wal-mart. I'm still not quite comfortable with OC, but I feel better about it than before.

6. legacy38

legacy38 Active Member

7. Sharky

Sharky New Member

hey there! Glad to see more people in the Gwinnett area joining. More to go shooting with!!!

I live in Suwanee as well and very very happy about the change. The good people at GCO have worked very hard in addition to the memebers sedning emails. Great organization.

8. Malum Prohibitum

And you did not get arrested? :D

9. Malum Prohibitum

No, you are right, but I am worried that the Chief of Police never bothered to answer my written reuquest that he clarify his policies.

PELCO checked in over at Opencarry.org http://opencarry.mywowbb.com/forum18/2334-3.html to state that he would never do such a thing and neither would the other Gwinnett officers he knows. May 17 at 3:41 p.m.

10. wsweeks2

wsweeks2 New Member

Agreed that the non-response is troubling.

I also have been following that thread over on OCDO as well and was happy to see what PELCO wrote.

11. Axeman

Axeman New Member

Welcome to GDPO, and Georgia, I am another Gwinnettonian. I live on the other side of 85 in Lawrenceville. :welcome:

12. Rammstein

Rammstein New Member

A belated welcome to GPDO wsweeks2!

13. merlock

merlock New Member

Add my belated :welcome: as well!

14. maddog

maddog New Member